Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

It has one. Is it in every cue? No. Is it recognizable and recurrent? Yes.

^^ Yep.

Desplat's blockbuster scores sound like parody music to me. Does anybody else get this vibe from his music?

Because it's more old school, and technically competent?

That's not it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly but something is off about it. It seems to lack menace.

Just finished the OST. It's great! Love the slam bang finish of the final track.

Gotta love Spotify. One click of the "Available Offline" button, and I can listen again on my ride home!

Desplat's blockbuster scores sound like parody music to me. Does anybody else get this vibe from his music?

Because it's more old school, and technically competent?

That's not it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly but something is off about it. It seems to lack menace.

I get where you're coming from. There's a slight air of French whimsy to it, though I like that. I'm tired of monochromatically brooding blockbuster scores.

I like the main theme a lot.

Is there something like a concert arrangement on there? Like end credits or something?

Desplat's theme reminds me of Michiru Oshima's theme for Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus:

Here is a youtube link for those outside the US:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6cif0ieq0JNOHIDe5g007mf_WWwfGGfK

Thanks for the link Faleel! I'll be sure to check this score out as soon as I get back home from work!

Well it is certainly something. Loud. In a good Desplat way. The man has an unmistakable style. :)

Sod it I'm gonna give this a whirl tonight ahead of the movie. If this disappoints I'm blocking the lot of you.

Ah, the joy of severe disappointment due to excessively unreasonable expectations ... :D

Listening to it right now. As usual, Alexandre really knows what to do with an orchestra. Some modern embellishments here and there. But even clichés like taiko drums are completely appropriate - give a nice ethnic texture. And yet, with all the stuff he still manages to retain his own voice.

Ave Desplat!

One more thing: I don't necessarily think it is the best he's ever done, or even the best he's done this year. His technical proficiency was apparent to me already back in 2003/2004, so that this score is a solid work was never to be any surprise. It's just yet another (yawn! ;)) conformation he's a skilled and talented composer.

Karol

I really like this. There's definitely a homage to Ikufube and Oshima's work, but it's mainly all his work. I can't wait to see how it functions in the movie...

You need a certain tolerance for 60 minutes of ruckus (and i still miss a good dominant theme) but it's not by bad parents as the german saying goes...

Listening to Entering the Nest. Those trombones with harmonic mutes forming clusters at 0:40 are pure Williams in LOST WORLD mode (Desplat is using the antiphonal seating to create a kind of Doppler effect - so 3 trombones on the left and another 3 on the right), not to forget the JAWS ostinato beneath it!

Yeah but is it of the quality of The Lost World? Are those shrieking woodwinds and forebodingly playful bassoons as immaculately placed in Godzilla as they are in Williams' dark masterpiece? Or is it a fake?

You can't really expect any scores that come out these days to be as good as the golden era of the great 90s scoring

Golden era? The Lost World was just the first of a couple of encores which bobbed their heads up above the sea of unstoppable MV sound which was establishing itself at that point.

I don't find LW alarmingly better in the sense that both feature similar orchestral set-ups and more textural qualities though Williams is less reliant on string ostinatis. If your benchmark is the melodic bliss of JP Desplat has a long way to go.

yes, for me the 90s was full of amazing scores, so it's a golden era for me. Along with the 70s and 80s

Golden era was 70s and 80s for me. Jurassic Park was the major highlight of the 90s for a lot of people, granted. I would never expect Godzilla to sound like JP. The Lost World comparisons are encouraging, though. Gonna listen tonight!

You also listen to complete Giacchino STAR TREK scores and can't be trusted.

I don't like any modern scores as much as the best stuff from the 70s-90s, apart from the LOTR scores

The Lost World comparisons are encouraging, though. Gonna listen tonight!

I don't think Deplat's Godzilla sounds anything like The Lost World. it's basically piercing action music mixed with RCP synths and drums mixed with Bear McCreary Battlestar Galactic drums, with some shakuhachi and electric violin, and a long of string melodies.

Based on the trailers and the mood that Gareth Edwards has spoken about, the Desplat's music seems right on target. It doesn't, and certainly doesn't need to, sound like LW.

3/4 into the score.

It's good. A big blockbuster score clearly drenched in Desplat's sensibilities. The question is however, how much ruckus can you take, because that really is what this score ends up being, an hour of loud action cues. The action is VERY well written however, with some fantastic writing for the brass, creative employment of Desplat's usual electronics and the electric violin and while I think he could have toned down on the taiko drum cliches (it's use is a bit limp/mechanical), it works as well. The lack of a dominant theme doesn't allow it to be much more than that, and while the main theme does offer some cool motivic moments, its not enough to bind the score together. Haven't finished yet though, but as it is, I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not sure it's the year's best (I think I might prefer MM), nor is it the composer's best. More thoughts later...

The Lost World comparisons are encouraging, though. Gonna listen tonight!

It's not like TLW, not as good for sure. But it is enjoyable stuff. Not sure if its the great score that'll finally get you back to listening to modern film scores again though ;)

The first and last tracks are really great.

Might be my least favorite tracks. This, on the other hand...

...is a three minute stunner.

The web player doesn't seem to work for me. I see the tracks but hear nothing.

Nvm, I found Faleel's link. Cheers mate!

Pretty good of the handful of cues I've listened to. I heard a decent theme in track 1, nice. Some wonderfully evocative atmosphere in the second half of track 2. Played a few more cues. The last track has a great pulpy finale to it which was very effective in telling me exactly how the movie ends, the triumphant tone and everything about it, really good stuff there.

Do we think the Jaws moment of Muto Hatch was a deliberate nod?

Also, when did Desplat discover the brass section of the orchestra?

He should buy a condo and settle down there then.

Track 13 'Following Godzilla' seems to have a really horrible edit in it.

The main issue I have is the lack of setpiece cues - they're all too short and it makes me think a lot of the best stuff has once again been left off the cd. The music is genuinely solid but I hear little in the way of narrative or arc. It's just various suspense and action material with no cohesive musical storytelling, at least in its ost form anyway. Gonna need a bigger release to make this a worthy headphones/car album I reckon.

The movie is now key, lemme hear the rest of it and see how intertwined and vital it hopefully is.

Album needs moar of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGrbGYiI6Jg&list=PL6cif0ieq0JNOHIDe5g007mf_WWwfGGfK&feature=player_detailpage#t=44

This score reminds me *a lot* of Kevin Riepl's original Gears of War score (what an absolute shame that he was replaced by Jablonsky on the later games.)

Scores like Godzilla and Gears of War remind me how underused and poorly used brass are in the rest of the modern world of film music. :(

Also, when did Desplat discover the brass section of the orchestra?

I think he said once that they were really overdone in action music and that he tries other things to create excitement (string section etc). He does use it (Firewall, for example), but not as heavily as others.

Have your heard this, by the way? It's actually a better score than Godzilla, if you ask me.

Karol

Well, to each his own. It's kind of refreshing for me that he doesn't try to pound you into submission all the time.

I still think (and I sound like a broken record) his best venture into big films is still The Golden Compass. Takes some time to getting into, but there's plenty to discover in there. Maybe by choice, or maybe due to lack of experience at the time, Desplat didn't even try to betray his drama background and applied it pretty much straightforwardly into bigger score. It all sounds more unikely like him. But less so like typical fantasy film, so others will disagree (and that's fine).

Karoo