Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

When Desplat came onto the scene the kind of brass writing everyone here seems to take for granted was done by...let me think about it...no one??? Except for Williams in KOTCS, but neither Horner, JNH, Zimmer et al. had any upfront trumpet parts, only big french horns playing unisono behind strings or doing soft solos.

Well, to each his own. It's kind of refreshing for me that he doesn't try to pound you into submission all the time.

Hey man, blame your own life choices for that.

When Desplat came onto the scene the kind of brass writing everyone here seems to take for granted was done by...let me think about it...no one??? Except for Williams in KOTCS, but neither Horner,

Avatar has plenty of trumpets and trombones.

This score reminds me *a lot* of Kevin Riepl's original Gears of War score (what an absolute shame that he was replaced by Jablonsky on the later games.)

Scores like Godzilla and Gears of War remind me how underused and poorly used brass are in the rest of the modern world of film music. :(

Yeah I know the Gears score well, it's superior to this Godzilla one, at least in album form. Full bodied, plenty of character and refreshingly pushy. Naturally the composer was replaced by Steve Jablonsky for the sequels.

well Game scores benefit in the sense that you can get a complete score of it, generally

I didnt hear any music in the released samples so far, that is not on the album though (that includes the wondercon footage)

but yeah more of the Godzilla/Last Shot theme would be awesome

It's probably got 2 more! Or at least 1. Yeah, I am certain it has 1 extra toot.

His general dislike for brass is one the main reasons I can't get into his blockbuster work. Everything is too smooth.

So, you prefer when it's coarse and rough and irritating?

Shitty movie music gets everywhere.

His general dislike for brass is one the main reasons I can't get into his blockbuster work. Everything is too smooth.

So, you prefer when it's coarse and rough and irritating?

Duh. You think he's pansy-ass Skywalker?

Too smooth? The brass sounds pretty gnarly (in a good way) to me.

It just lacks oomph for me. I wish it had more of a rhythmic drive to it. It's a little bit too lyrical.

I still think it sounds good though, I just ordered the CD off of Amazon.

The melodic theme is a pretty weak one. The derived motif (which appears more frequently) is really catchy though.

More striking stuff like this, please.

We could have a POLL on daikaiju scores but I've only heard four.

A piano transcription of the first cue:

I could hear it accompanying one of those Youtube silent black and white film versions of Godzilla Youtube. ;)

Maybe it's just me, but somehow this really sounds better stripped down like this.

Karol

The melodic theme is a pretty weak one. The derived motif (which appears more frequently) is really catchy though.

The whole thing just WORKS when you actually put all the elements together.

Maybe it's just me, but somehow this really sounds better stripped down like this.

It's just good :)

I like the new angle, yet I miss the shrieking sound in the background. Could a variation like this work inside the score?

Could you give two timestamps for those?

The main melodic theme is introduced at 0:15 in the first track.

The motif is more like an ostinato bit that's based on the two underlying chords of the main theme. You first hear it at 0:55 in the opening.

The coolest variation of that motif is at 1:42 in "To Q Zone":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wu3ugaZB4o

There is also a lovely theme for what I assume is Bryan Cranston/emotional parts of the film. Shame it doesn't pop up more though.

Reading the headlines this morning I see the movie reviews are in and they seem to be mixed to cautiously positive. Those hoping for glowing universal praise may be disappointed.

Apparently Cranston's is the only character of interest, with everyone else being rather dull and bland. Desplat "fulfils the generic requirements but often goes beyond." That was according to the Hollywood Reporter, the one review I skimmed over. IGN was more excited by it, as expected, awarding a 9/10.

Local sources describe it as having beautiful imagery and some good scenes but basically it's a mishmash of incompatible styles (serious vs. trash).

I dont think there is going to be a common ground for this movie, going by the reviews

so I wont judge anything said until I have seen it myself

the fact that its getting plenty of good reviews means more to me right now

There will be common ground that the trailer promised more than the movie could finally deliver.

I am not sure how you can say that with such certainty

unless you mean the very first trailer

but basically it's a mishmash of incompatible styles (serious vs. trash).

I have this feeling from interviews and trailers that they're going with different angles on the genre and the monster simultaneously.

If that's the case I will like it.

It's basically a suspenseful first hour in CLOVERFIELD fashion and a trashy monsters-destroy-cities in Panavision the second half. Some reviewers hoped for more after the first half than the second could ultimately deliver but i guess WB had a huge say in the amount and length of action scenes.

Look, it's Godzilla, it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. So far it's getting good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (as of this posting, 10 fresh vs 2 rotten).

to be fair a Godzilla movie with no monster action scenes is not really a Godzilla movie

doesnt mean it will be trashy

but eh, no point in arguing when I havent seen it yet

(and aside, the action scenes were the only part about Pacific Rim that I liked, so things are already looking up here)

Local sources describe it as having beautiful imagery and some good scenes but basically it's a mishmash of incompatible styles (serious vs. trash).

That's what every Godzilla film is, with some leaning more towards either trash or serious.

I've got no problem with that. The line from the trailer "Let them fight" is such a typical corny line for these films that it makes me smile.

to be fair a Godzilla movie with no monster action scenes is not really a Godzilla movie

Last time they failed by not making a Godzilla film but rather a flimsy Beast from 20000 Fathoms meets Jurassic Park thing. If the trashy silliness comes from a more Godzilla-like source, I welcome it. Looking at the trailers it looks like Godzilla as a horrifying unstoppable thing and Godzilla fights other monsters stuff. The difference in tone with the last American attemp is notable.

Got my copy of the CD today. It's interesting that there is a layout of orchestra setup in the booklet. Love the old-school Japanese-like design of the disc itself. There are over 150 orchestra members listed 90 singers. What the...?

Karol

Got my copy of the CD today. It's interesting that there is a layout of orchestra setup in the booklet. Love the old-school Japanese-like design of the disc itself. There are over 150 orchestra members listed 90 singers. What the...?

Karol

Honestly it doesn't sounds like 150 performers plus choir so I guess this is the complete tally of people involved on the sessions at different times.