Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

Would you folks call Desplat, in general, a thematic composer? Because I find it hard to remember some of his longer-lined themes, but on the other hand, the ones that are memorable are, as Stefan alluded to above, quite generic.

His more romantic themes are often quite good though. I really liked Desplat's "family" theme from Godzilla. And he's written really nice melodies for films like Lust, Caution and New Moon.

I have not seen the film but on the album the music is largely motific (meaning here short musical ideas) and atmospheric with some nice inventions in terms of mood and unique sounds. It indeed lacks to my ears memorable thematic idea to characterize the monster and tie the story together and strong emotional core (I am not meaning it has to be mushy but something I could emotionally latch onto). It is a solid piece of work but nowhere near a 5 star effort like some reviews have touted.

What is interesting is that in his smaller scores, Desplat is able to put a lot of character and personality in the music. But when he's given a big budget film to do, like a Godzilla or Harry Potter, the result just sounds a bit too...slick. Very well crafted and professional yes. But rather generic.

I wouldn't call the music generic. The action music (which is most of the score), is quite good. He uses a lot of colours in the orchestra that you don't hear in most blockbusters. Clearly this is written by a man who knows his orchestra.

It's just the main theme. Which is what annoys me so much. He even gave a nice theme for the family, but couldn't seem to have given Godzilla a more memorable motif.

And Incanus, a motivic approach is all an good. But couldn't he have come up with something better than that generic ostinato?

well that snippet of Ligeti music is also on the soundtrack

No it isn't. That piece at the end of the "Airport Attack" is Desplat, not Ligeti. Williams does a similar vocal technique in 'Replicas' on the A.I. soundtrack. It's certainly reminiscent of Ligeti, though.

Ligeti was probably temp tracked into those scenes and Desplat was asked to mimic it.

My current favourite cue from the album is this one:

Sadly, only first half of it is used in the film.

Karol

P.S. gkgyver, what Godzilla albums would you recommend? It's a practically unexplored territory for me

What would that be? Tears of joy? Euphoria? The celebration of life? Dispersion of ego and reconnection to higher self? What does Chaac expect from a score to a 200 million blockbuster film in 2014?

;)

Karol

But that 30% frustrates me. Not on this one particularly, just due to the general landscape. I guess in a better landscape, I'd be rather happy with one of these random films having music of this caliber of it, You know, a film that seems to enjoy its own music. But as things stand, we cling to stuff like this and it's like there's something missing.

I think you're forgetting what kind of film this is. It's not only a cheesy monster film (which would have sufficed, too), but a more so-called "grounded" film. And music has to address these kind of aspects. It's an homage to Ifukube, Hollywood monster score and modern blockbuster music all in one. That seemed to have been the intention. I had my doubts too, but after seeing the film it all seems to make sense. The older I get I compare against other films and focus on what it is that the work in question is aiming to do. What is the task Desplat and filmmakers set before themselves? And does it work against that intent?

There was a lot of talk about the lack of "theme". Firstly, what that hypothetical theme would supposed to be doing in this particular film? Is there a particular aspect of the story that would benefit from having a long-lined theme? How would it support the film as directed? Is "walking out of the theater humming a tune" the only real criteria?

Karol

There was a lot of talk about the lack of "theme". Firstly, what that hypothetical theme would supposed to be doing in this particular film? Is there a particular aspect of the story that would benefit from having a long-lined theme? How would it support the film as directed? Is "walking out of the theater humming a tune" the only real criteria?

Karol

:up:

I don't actually need a long lined melody to walk out of the theater humming. And this one did a pretty good job of getting parts here and there well embedded into my brain.

I just... I don't know.

Have you seen the film yet?

One of the things I've grown to appreciate is the use of percussion. At first it seemed like a modern cliché, after all taiko drums are being overdone. From, Revenge of the Sith to The Dark Knight, always bloody taiko drums. But this film makes an interesting reference to fundemantal balance in the world so the emergence of those creatures feels almost like a religious theatre of sorts. Hence, the taiko drums, instruments that has its own myth, are completely appropriate. This primal rhythm gives the film some "ancient ritual" vibe. Nice touch.

The electric violin creates this "nuclear siren alarm" kind of sound, which is nice.

Karol

I like those two elements in the score :)

I haven't seen it yet. I would have, but they didn't release a subtitled version here, so I don't know what to do, since I've been refusing to see any dub at the theatre for years, which has caused me to miss some I wanted to see every now and then.

Think about the positives, at least they wouldn't dub Godzilla himself.

Or would they? ;)

Anyway, the score feels better in the film. The big pieces feel more massive when married to picture, especially the final bunch of action tracks. And there's some stuff that's not on the album, like the choral statement of main ideas at the very beginning of the film.

Karol

Karol

But its not about walking out of the theater humming a theme... its about a theme having a life after the film. If all we're talking about is the music within the film then we should disregard JW, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Korngold, Rozsa, etc. A cluster will do just fine within the film but won't last long after that. Some of us actually like music!

This film certainly doesn't need a long-lined theme. But Godzilla could certainly use a more memorable motif than a pair of broken minor chords. It's about as generic an idea as you can get, as if Desplat put no thought into it (but then again, most of his thematic ideas are often this simple, and dare I say, mundane). Sometimes, the ostinato is handled in an impressive fashion. But often it just gets lost in with all the other ostinatos. It simply doesn't stick out, which Godzilla could certainly use.

The score in the end remains a solid collection of well-written action music, with an elegant family theme.

Erm, there's more to this score than tone clusters.

Not enough more. Also I am not reducing great scores to melody.

Have you listened to it away from the film, free of sound fx? You might change your mind.

This film certainly doesn't need a long-lined theme. But Godzilla could certainly use a more memorable motif than a pair of broken minor chords. It's about as generic an idea as you can get, as if Desplat put no thought into it (but then again, most of his thematic ideas are often this simple, and dare I say, mundane). Sometimes, the ostinato is handled in an impressive fashion. But often it just gets lost in all the other ostinatos. It simply doesn't stick out, which Godzilla could certainly use.

The score in the end remains a solid collection of well-written action music, with an elegant family theme.

I agree!

But wasn't the original Godzilla music EXACTLY the same in its melodic constructs? There's certainly no more memorable theme/motif in there. It's just simpler in orchestration which makes it stand out more. That is all.

http://youtu.be/PDeU42u2s2Y

Karol

Erm, there's more to this score than tone clusters.

Not enough more. Also I am not reducing great scores to melody.

Have you listened to it away from the film, free of sound fx? You might change your mind.

Yes, I listened to it after seeing the film - will relisten again today.

So, I was listening to this score the other day and there is something about that bit at 0'55 in Godzilla! that sounded familiar to me. And then it hit me...

At 0'53:

Does anyone hear a similarity between the two melodies or not? Is Desplat a cheap bastard or not?

There only similarity is rhythmic. One bar of 4/4 to one of 3/4 (or one whole bar of 7/4). DadaDum DadaDum Dum Dum Dum etc. It's a common motor ostinato you often heard with Goldsmith. Even the Akira Ifukube original (which I'm guessing is Desplat's inspiration) had something similar going on - Pro-Minimalist almost (sounds like MIchael Nyman to me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeU42u2s2Y

0:22

btw that choral rendition of the theme

I am starting to wonder if that was a late addition

since every at least 3 times it popped up in the movie, it was not there on the album version of those tracks

since every at least 3 times it popped up in the movie, it was not there on the album version of those tracks

Pretty sure the reuse fees are to blame for no choir on the CD.

oh, the Star Trek XI curse?

would explain the alternate opening to AirPort attack as well (which the wondercon footage also lacked, which made me think it was a late addition)

though they seem to have kept short bursts of chorals

Pretty sure the reuse fees are to blame for no choir on the CD.

No! It's all the magical artist vision at creating a reconceptualized album!

So, I was listening to this score the other day and there is something about that bit at 0'55 in Godzilla! that sounded familiar to me. And then it hit me...

At 0'53:

Does anyone hear a similarity between the two melodies or not? Is Desplat a cheap bastard or not?

There only similarity is rhythmic. One bar of 4/4 to one of 3/4 (or one whole bar of 7/4). DadaDum DadaDum Dum Dum Dum etc. It's a common motor ostinato you often heard with Goldsmith. Even the Akira Ifukube original (which I'm guessing is Desplat's inspiration) had something similar going on - Pro-Minimalist almost (sounds like MIchael Nyman to me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeU42u2s2Y

0:22

The Desplat is mostly alternating 8/8 & 7/8, the Beltrami is 7/8 throughout. Given Beltrami's long-standing love affair with 7/8, I'd say this is a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to listening to this album

Zero memorable tracks>>> goes in pile of stuff I'll never listen to again

K.M. Expecting to post the same thing after he listens to Maleficient

I gave it a shot too. It faded fast from memory. Haven't seen the movie so haven't a clue how well it works or how memorable it is there.

I fear I'll feel similarly underwhelmed if I ever get around to hearing Maleficent - based on the rousing reaction here to Desplat's Godzilla. People got my hopes up.

It's like everyone else here isn't really all that fussy or exacting when it comes to film music. There's seemingly a lot of love for pretty much anything new as long as it involves an orchestra.

Nah, I'm not that chronically unmoving. I still try.

But just last night I began watching John Carter of Mars and I knew Gia was the music and I was aware that the score was held in higher regard here and considered one of his best by a few.

I dunno, it really did my head in at one point. To call it Mickey Mousing would be an understatement. It was like John Debny supervised the spotting sessions.

GODZILLA and MALEFICENT are not necessarily better though i personally find them more attractive, never could muster much enthusiasm for Giacchino's writing.

GODZILLA has at least some select pieces that are musically well-done and entertaining if you like this kind of monster music but it never claims to be more than a loud blockbuster score safely within the genre's conventions. Given Desplat's other works this year i see it more as proof of his current powers. Not many composers are able to produce three markedly different genre scores within a few months.

I liked the overall sound and texture of Godzilla, but the album at least lacked any sense of structure or musical narrative. I like storytelling when I listen to film music.

That's what is almost completely missing from film music these days: compositions are painfully bereft of ethos and pathos.