Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

How behind-the-times am I? Didn't even know they were planning another Godzilla reboot. Still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last one.

The Desplat choice for such a project is . . . interesting. Not what I would've guessed, but whatever.

- Uni

Godzilla films have their own set of rules, and Emmerich threw it all out the window. Except for buildings being destroyed (not that much anyway), practically no element was present in Godzilla. It was a stupid stereotypical, Americanised disaster movie.

Really, if you don't see the difference between the two Godzillas, you can't know much about it.

I think a new film was in the making for years and years.

Godzilla is not a big pussy iguana who runs from a fight and gets taken down by 4 missiles or gets knocked out by a submarine.

Godzilla would have reduced New York to rubble and bitch slapped the Statue of Liberty on his way back out to sea.

Not every Godzilla film is good but what made certain ones stand out were the human characters and story.

That's something the 2014 film appears to be focusing on as opposed to mindless destruction without good characters.

I've always tried to rationalise the '98 Godzilla film as more of a remake of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms because the stories and creature design are so similar. Only it has the wrong title because they had to do something with the "Godzilla" licence they purchased from Toho.

I've always tried to rationalise the '98 Godzilla film as more of a remake of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms because the stories and creature design are so similar. Only it has the wrong title because they had to do something with the "Godzilla" licence they purchased from Toho.

Correct.

Who would destroy more skyscrapers? Godzilla or the Snyder/Goyer Superman?

Probably their Superman, unless Godzilla had a $200 million plus budget.

As a kid I remember I really liked Emmerich's Godzilla. I still the design is kinda cool, but now that years have passed I really dislike it. I remember being really confused that Godzilla returned to life like nothing, I always assumed there were two. A male and a female, but seems it's the same one. The only moment I still like is when Godzilla is about to die and there's a little moment of sadness regarding his (her?) death. But then it gets ruined when everybody starts cheering, whoop-dee-doo.

Also, the shots stolen right off Jurassic Park is an embarassing sight. That's all this film was to Emmerich. His try at a dinosaur movie, not a Godzilla one. Remember the ads of Godzilla's foot crushing a T-Rex? But as Spielberg treated the dinosaur like animals, Emmerich treats his giant lizard like a mindless monster. Too bad. Godzilla was the only character I liked from the movie.

Godzilla is not a big pussy iguana who runs from a fight and gets taken down by 4 missiles or gets knocked out by a submarine.Godzilla would have reduced New York to rubble and bitch slapped the Statue of Liberty on his way back out to sea.Not every Godzilla film is good but what made certain ones stand out were the human characters and story.That's something the 2014 film appears to be focusing on as opposed to mindless destruction without good characters.

I would take any film from the Heisei era over Emmerich's trash on any given day. I think they are just genuinely better movies.

Godzilla vs. King Gidorah (the 80s film) has great action, a nice story and kick ass music.

But as Spielberg treated the dinosaur like animals, Emmerich treats his giant lizard like a mindless monster. Too bad. Godzilla was the only character I liked from the movie.

I think Emmerich really tried to generate sympathy for the creature by demonstrating its intelligence and suggesting that it's not really its fault. Curiously it's the American military that was portrayed as bumbling hicks, which heavily contrasts with his previous movies.

I like Desplat but he's doing too many movies. He should've said no to Godzilla. Knowing one has to compete with super loud sound effects for two hours, it's completely uninteresting for a composer.

Maybe he has for the past couple of years, but Godzilla is only his second 2014 movie on tap (after Suite Francaise). I think he's slowing down now, at least for the moment. And if he really enjoys his work, why shouldn't he do as many as he like?

Because, as we JWfans all know, one day the well will be dried up ;) . That's why he shouldn't waste his precious creative juices on projects that are so very beneath him. He should give it to Zimmer. Godzilla and Zimmer are made out of the same crude elements. They are one and the same thing.

Imagine if they announce that John Williams will be writing the score to The Smurfs 3! How would you feel about that, huh?!

Alex

I like Desplat but he's doing too many movies. He should've said no to Godzilla. Knowing one has to compete with super loud sound effects for two hours, it's completely uninteresting for a composer.

Maybe he has for the past couple of years, but Godzilla is only his second 2014 movie on tap (after Suite Francaise). I think he's slowing down now, at least for the moment. And if he really enjoys his work, why shouldn't he do as many as he like?

Because, as we JWfans all know, one day the well will be dried up ;) . That's why he shouldn't waste his precious creative juices on projects that are so very beneath him. He should give it to Zimmer. Godzilla and Zimmer are made out of the same crude elements. They are one and the same thing.

Imagine if they announce that John Williams will be writing the score to The Smurfs 3! How would you feel about that, huh?!

Alex

Oscar nominated score!!!

Who would destroy more skyscrapers? Godzilla or the Snyder/Goyer Superman?

Laughably, the Godzilla destruction will be far more acceptable to the nerds. The divvies who actually gauge and justify such inane silliness amongst themselves.

"Superman demonstrated no morals!"

Heh heh lord give me strength

Lee - zero interested in Godzilla movies.

Desplat sounds like a trendy if a bit curious choice for a Godzilla type movie but I am interested in hearing what he comes up with and how does his style lend itself to a monster film.

Because, as we JWfans all know, one day the well will be dried up ;) . That's why he shouldn't waste his precious creative juices on projects that are so very beneath him. He should give it to Zimmer. Godzilla and Zimmer are made out of the same crude elements. They are one and the same thing. Imagine if they announce that John Williams will be writing the score to The Smurfs 3! How would you feel about that, huh?! Alex

Godzilla = Ifukube.

Zimmer < Desplat < Ifukube.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, this music has a very interesting background. James Horner talked about it in Vienna:

I took time off and I went to Hamburg and studied with György Ligeti. We didn’t study so much his music, but we studied Renaissance music which was a love of mine in college and a love of his, and if you study Lux Aeterna or his requiem or a lot of the Ligeti pieces, they are put together in a way that I very much admired in a very traditional way ends up sounding very atonal. When we first heard Lux Aeternain 2001, when you first heard these pieces, they were considered as avant-garde in those days; but, really, they were put together like Renaissance pieces and his voicing was very similar. I was intrigued by that and I did study with him.

And also remember that scary chanting in The Shining?It's actually a joyful Easter music revolving around the resurrection of Christ. Surprising, if you think about it.

Karol

Actually, this music has a very interesting background. James Horner talked about it in Vienna:

I took time off and I went to Hamburg and studied with György Ligeti. We didnt study so much his music, but we studied Renaissance music which was a love of mine in college and a love of his, and if you study Lux Aeterna or his requiem or a lot of the Ligeti pieces, they are put together in a way that I very much admired in a very traditional way ends up sounding very atonal. When we first heard Lux Aeternain 2001, when you first heard these pieces, they were considered as avant-garde in those days; but, really, they were put together like Renaissance pieces and his voicing was very similar. I was intrigued by that and I did study with him.

And also remember that scary chanting in The Shining?It's actually a joyful Easter music revolving around the resurrection of Christ. Surprising, if you think about it.

Karol

First: Yeah his Lux Aeterna is basically a mensuration canon, but with rhythms all funked up and with no regard for "proper" intervals/harmony. It's great.

Second: Ah, Utrenja by Penderecki, who's music is even more wonderfully disturbing to me than Ligeti's.

Third: Sure he says it himself but.. did Horner really study with Ligeti?

Fourth: This movie looks interesting but I'm more interested in the score, provided that Desplat finally really cuts loose.

Fantastic trailer! I just hope Desplat delivers.

Indeed.

Although the one with Matthew Broderick wasn't that great at least Arnold delivered a kick ass score.

I do like the trailer for this and thank god they made Godzilla LOOK like Godzilla this time.

Actually looks like they took the theme from the '54 movie, namely using Godzilla as a metaphor for the traumatising effects of nuclear weapons, and adapted it a bit to fit the West.