Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

Got around to listening to this album

Zero memorable tracks>>> goes in pile of stuff I'll never listen to again

K.M. Expecting to post the same thing after he listens to Maleficient

Desplat's Godzilla is an acquired taste. I wasn't sure what to make of it after I first heard it, which was a day before I saw the film.

I still reckon David Arnold's is better, but Desplat's has grown on me a great deal over the last fortnight. The main title piece is stirring, the suspense material has an inconspicuous hook to it, and the action material is breathtakingly chaotic.

And come on, "Back to the Water" must have prodded you awake. The rich Williams-like scoring for the family reunion was heartmelting and the fanfare bookend was nothing short of spectacular.

Give this one another chance! I reckon it's the composer's finest work so far.

I liked the overall sound and texture of Godzilla, but the album at least lacked any sense of structure or musical narrative. I like storytelling when I listen to film music.

That's what is almost completely missing from film music these days: compositions are painfully bereft of ethos and pathos.

Yes!

• 2 months later...

I love how Desplat's score works in the title sequence - he manages to blend the modern propulsion of blockbuster, with classic Hollywood monster music and be still faithful to Akira Ifukube's solemn original.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

yeah the creepy chorus seems to be more of a motif for the MUTOs

and 2 others (from Qzone/PowerPlant and Main Theme/Last Shot) are used all over the place

also I am going to throw the full version of Golden Gate Chaos and Chinatown Faceoff in there