Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

The tallest skyscraper in the world in 1954 was the Empire State Building at 381 meters.

The tallest skyscraper in the world today is the Burj Khalifa at 828 meters.

Godzilla better have doubled in height if he wants to not look like a fucking Gecko roaming the city.

Makes sense.

Also. in the original film Zilla destroys Tokio, which had no Skyscrapers at the time.

When they prepared the American version (Godzilla: King Of Monsters) they actually increased the size of the monster in dialogue.

I find his 2001 look (Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack) the spookiest. An amalgam of 1954 and the 90s:

Nxfcx.png

Godzilla_mill_3rd_01.jpg

Those blank eyes are scary as hell for me.

There was some interesting piano stuff in earlier Godzilla scores, I hope Desplat did some research. Hopefully not Godzilla vs. Hedorah though ...

• 2 weeks later...

From Conrad Pope: https://www.facebook...00?stream_ref=1

Alexandre Desplat's score to GODZILLA is "done and dusted"--- at least as to the score's recording! Wonderful times with AD and the L.A. scoring musicians ( about a 102 of them-- perhaps the largest orchestra EVER at MGM(Sony) PLUS an 80 voice choir) who performed Desplat's score brilliantly. On the the soundtrack from Watertower Records you will be hearing AD's music and the LA musicians ROAR. With this score, AD proves he's as big an "energy drink" as any of the Hollywood "super composers"-- even if his vocabulary is distinctly his- perhaps refreshingly so, for some. Happy to be "working at home"-- kudos to Dennis SandsBelinda BroughtonAdam MichalakDimitrie Leivici. Eric Swanson, and my associates Clifford J. TasnerJay DuerrChad Cannon, and my wife Nan Schwartz for their help in realizing, for the orchestra, 2 hours of music. Special thanks to the Godfather of the MGM/Sony lot Lee Hinton for making the lot a home. Great gratitude to all at WB--- Paul Broucek in particular.
As a professional, it gets no better than working with Desplat ( and Lee!). If your job is to "make music"- than AD is the "go to guy" (unless you're talking JW)
! Hope AD returns to LA. It was a blast. Now on to something even more exciting--- at least for me...
The brass was amazing for the most part. We recorded them in "stereo"-- 2 Trumpets, 3 Trombones, Tuba( cimbasso) , 4 Horns (Tubens) on the Left, a mirror image of that on the right. Quite thrilling-- happy it proved effective.

Sounds neat. There were some more pictures of the sessions the other day that made it obvious this was a particularly large ensemble.

I wonder what his next "even more exciting" project is.

Also...that picture just makes you wonder all over again: what the hell were the designers thinking for 1998?

I know, right?

Is the one with the white eyes the 54 version? I always found that one to be the spookiest too.

It's like a cross between JP's T-Rex and a Xenomorph. Very unoriginal.

Wow you're so right! I didn't think about that until looking at that picture.

I also have to agree that the score release won't be 2-CD. If it is I'll eat my own words but don't get your hopes up.

IMDb lists There and Back Again as his only other film this year. So probably that or the DOS EE, unless he's joining something late in the game. Has Into the Woods recorded yet? Maybe he's working on that.

Maybe they'll do another 1998 and not release the score at all. We'll just get two insignificant tracks on a highly mainstream compilation featuring Puff Daddy, Jimmy Page, The Wallflowers and many others!

LLLR will release the full score in 2027.

Maybe they'll do another 1998 and not release the score at all. We'll just get two insignificant tracks on a highly mainstream compilation featuring Puff Daddy, Jimmy Page, The Wallflowers and many others!

Jamiroquai's Deeper Underground alone was better than any single cue in Arnold's tedious score.

• 3 weeks later...