The Alan Silvestri Thread

Jay

Nah, I'm not saying anything about his romantic/comedic/dramatic music in general, or how I feel about that type of music in general, the specific question was about Silvestri's action/adventure vs Silvestri/s romantic/comedic/dramatic, and for me, Silvestri does the former better.  Simple as that.

I don't think I've heard Richie Rich!  Mouse Hunt is fun

Too bad both are the victim of the 30 minute Varese OST

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I generally prefer his drama/comedy style, I actually don’t think he’s particularly strong on action music, but certainly not bad or anything.  Silvestri’s strength is definitely emotion and sentiment.  Of course what makes the BTTF trilogy so killer is that it’s a great dramedy score with action elements.  Anyway I love Gump and Father of the Bride and Contact, Silvestri is just great at treacle and I lap it up.

I agree with Disco Stu

I think there's probably some nostalgia at play but pretty much invariably whenever Silvestri leaps out at me, it's when he's being more yearning or whimsical. 

Like, "Portals" is cool and all but he loses me as soon as the battle starts. The moments where he really made the difference in that movie to me were little things like Tony and his dad or Cap giving the shield to Falcon. That's when I remember thinking "Oh this one feels like a real movie for once." He still has that knack of taking a Sharpie marker and outlining the emotional curves of dialogue scenes with a melody. Used to be more of a prerequisite, now it's like a specialty. But when I look at his career, that's the area where I'm like "Ah yeah, Silvestri, good guy."

And I just find it more frequently listenable from him than his action stuff. The best of it is obviously pretty badass. 

On 2/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Edmilson said:

Question for the Silvestri fans in the forum: what kind of Alan Silvestri score do you prefer?

1. His action/adventure scores, like Predator 1 and 2, Judge Dredd, Eraser, The Mummy Returns, G.I. Joe, The Avengers, etc;
  2. His more soft and warm scores for rom-coms, dramas and kid movies, like Father of the Bride, Forrest Gump, Stuart Little, Mouse Hunt, Contact, Cast Away, etc;
  3. Or somewhere in between these two extremes?

These days, the calm stuff. So 2. But I'm prone to put on one of the big action scores once in a while. Rarely from after THE MUMMY RETURNS, though.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Like, "Portals" is cool and all but he loses me as soon as the battle starts. The moments where he really made the difference in that movie to me were little things like Tony and his dad or Cap giving the shield to Falcon. That's when I remember thinking "Oh this one feels like a real movie for once." He still has that knack of taking a Sharpie marker and outlining the emotional curves of dialogue scenes with a melody. Used to be more of a prerequisite, now it's like a specialty. But when I look at his career, that's the area where I'm like "Ah yeah, Silvestri, good guy."

I agree that the best parts of Endgame's score is the more calmer, dramatic music, specially those from the movie's first hour, when they're dealing with the consequences of Thanos' action. 

The music for the action scenes is okay, but it has one big problem for me: most of it was already taken from his previous action scores. And it's very weird that a lot of the climax' music is taken directly from the action music of The Avengers and Infinity War. 

I just made a playlist using the programmes of the Gent festival CD + the one of the Prague City Philh.... using the original versions when they were available... so it made a sort of "Best Of".

The films Silvestri is known for: Back To The Future, Forrest Gump, Cast Away, The Avengers

However I believe his best scores are actually: Back To The Future Part III, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Captain America, Ready Player One

Also excellent but I feel are underappreciated: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mouse Hunt

So to answer the question directly - his action adventure style is my favourite by far.

Silvestri writes a good action/adventure theme but usually the stuff around it isn’t my favorite, and the themes are not particularly varied throughout their uses in the score.  I prefer his gentler stuff.

• 2 months later...

Just borrows/downloaded  FERNGULLY

On 2/21/2021 at 3:57 AM, Disco Stu said:

Predator.  I like the Coplandesque theme in Predator but in general it’s a bit of a slog.  As are most of his action scores.

Try this.

Screenshot_2021-04-25-13-16-09.png

New interview with Silvestri

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-zq7g8-e066532

According to an FSM poster, "Among many things he talks about the new BTTF: The Musical, working with Spielberg on Ready Player One (and having John Williams visiting the recording session), his scores for the Avengers movies (especially the "Portals" cue) and a special anecdote about Danny Elfman. "

Please share what he says about Williams attending the Ready Player One scoring sessions!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In amongst all the other stuff released and announced today, the cast recording for Silvestri's Back to the Future: The Musical is released today (digitally at least). Couple of tracks in and it's fun, if pretty insubstantial stuff... I rather think everyone will remember the original BTTF theme, Johnny B Goode and the Huey Lewis tracks by the end. Sure I'll see it eventually anyway!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm listening to the 1993 Edel compilation CD "Best of Science Fiction", and there's a 5 minute suite of music from "My Stepmother is an Alien", and it's great!

A bit of Predator, but with a way more on-the-nose sci-fi twinge to it.  Super fun!

Anybody know if a specialty label has ever talked about potentially releasing this one?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm listening to the 1993 Edel compilation CD "Best of Science Fiction", and there's a 5 minute suite of music from "My Stepmother is an Alien", and it's great!

A bit of Predator, but with a way more on-the-nose sci-fi twinge to it.  Super fun!

Anybody know if a specialty label has ever talked about potentially releasing this one?

Oh, nice double album, I have to listen to this!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to make a basic CD collection of Alan Silvestri is not easy. After 3 years of collecting, this is what I was able to do. Not perfect, but it's only a beginning!

20220608_123523.jpg

* The thiny CD case, is my purchased FLAC version of the Ghent Concert conducted by Dirk Brossé.

Confession: Father of the Bride Part II is my most listened to Silvestri OST, more than any BTTF or Predator or Gump or Contact.  It's such a great listening experience!

The first movie is obviously miles better than the second as a film, but man what a score.

For my defense, the EXCELLENT and I agree, ESSENTIAL, Predator 2 score, well the best of it (the 8:46 End Credits Suite), appears on the compilation "Voyages".

Secondary, 5 of 5

I’m happy with my Silvestri collection.  No pics because they’re alphabetized by film title with everything else on my shelf.  What essential Silvestri releases am I missing besides apparently Predator 2?

Back to the Future (2 disc expansion)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Back to the Future 2 (expansion)

Back to the Future 3 (OST and expansion)

Father of the Bride

Forrest Gump

Father of the Bride 2

Practical Magic

Stuart Little (OST tracks)

Mummy Returns (OST and expansion)

Lilo and Stitch (OST tracks)

identity

Polar Express OST

Christmas Carol

A-Team

Captain America

Avengers (expanded Intrada version)

Croods

Red 2

Night at the Museum

Night at the Museum 2

Night at the Museum 3

Ready Player One

Avengers Infinity War (both versions)

Avengers Endgame

The Witches

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m happy with my Silvestri collection.  No pics because they’re alphabetized by film title with everything else on my shelf.  What essential Silvestri releases am I missing besides apparently Predator 2?

Back to the Future (2 disc expansion)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Back to the Future 2 (expansion)

Back to the Future 3 (OST and expansion)

Father of the Bride

Forrest Gump

Father of the Bride 2

Practical Magic

Stuart Little (OST tracks)

Mummy Returns (OST and expansion)

Lilo and Stitch (OST tracks)

identity

Polar Express OST

Christmas Carol

A-Team

Captain America