The Lord of the Rings Score Restored (Unused Howard Shore Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

Yeah, even if the song is a little out of place in Shore's musical world, the Choral bookends give the shots a otherworldly quality (and do not seem as awkward as the slow-mo with the whooshy SFX)

Which is not completely new to LOTR (Or Arwen) though: The Prophecy (Never used in any recording though, so it doesn't really count) and Flight to the Ford both have English lyrics sung in the text.. (obviously, this is not counting the more source music like Hobbit songs, Gollum's songs, Treebeard songs, or the End Credits songs)

Ha!

That's what you think!

Arwen's Prayer:

What grace is given me

Let it pass to him

Let him be spared

Mighty Valar

Save him.

The Prophecy:

The Seer Speaks... The Seer Speaks...

Yéllinor morne Out of the Black Years
tulinte I quettar come the words
tercáno nuruva. the Hearld (sic) of Death

Hlasta! Listen--it speaks to
Qyetis Ilfirimain: those who were not born to die

The Ringspell... The Ringspell...

info from: http://www.amagpiesnest.com/main.htm

The chorus at the end of Give Up The Halfling (Frodo, no!, Frod don't give in, not now!") is singing the lyrics above in ENGLISH, its just that the low chorus mix, and low volume, make it harder to make out.

The English text for The Prophecy (also above) is unused in any recording of the prologue released, hence why I said it does not count.

Also, Doug's Book has those exact english lyrics with no Elvish lyrics AT ALL for that text.

Faleel is right and gkgyver is wrong about Flight To The Ford. You can clearly hear "let him be spared, mighty Valor, save him", etc sung in English in all released versions.

The Prophecy contains Elven lyrics and the text Faleel provided above is just the text in English that was translated to Quenya. What gives the idea that it was originally meant to be in English? Basically all of these choral and soloist lyrics were originally in English but were translated to various Tolkien languages. That certainly doesn't mean that they had intention of using the original English texts the film makers had penned or that were using Tolkien's own writings, except for that one instance mentioned here, if you don't count the diegetic and semi-diegetic music like Arwen's song and Pippin's song.

The Flight to the Ford/ Give Up the Halfling does contain those above lyrics in English though as Faleel points out.

The Prophecy contains Elven lyrics and the text Faleel provided above is just the text in English that was translated to Quenya.

Actually it has both.

On paper, yes, but not in the available recordings.

Flight to the Ford, however ... What the HELL? 12 years, and I never realised that was English! Shame on me, shame, shame ....

• 1 month later...

Jim Ware, could you tell me If I got the Houses of Healing correct, I am not sure.

The music is a bit late in your version - the choir is supposed to enter on the dissolve from Gandalf to the Houses of Healing (if you need another reference point, Sissel sings 'Estel' as Eowyn's eyes open and she sees Aragorn). You've also introduced a small microedit between the end of the Sissel material and Pippin finding Merry - this isn't needed as it will sync without.

Incidentally, the take of the 'Pippin finding Merry' section that is presented in the EE end credits is an alternate.

The Prophecy contains Elven lyrics and the text Faleel provided above is just the text in English that was translated to Quenya.

Actually it has both.

All versions of the Prophecy text heard on the CR, Rarities and OSTs is in Quenya. The text is that of Battle of Dagorlad heard in the alternate Prologue on the Rarities and Doug Adams provides it with the text in his book. End of story. No English version appears in any recordings I have heard.

Actually it has both.

All versions of the Prophecy text heard on the CR, Rarities and OSTs is in Quenya. End of story. No English version appears in any recordings I have heard.

....I know.

You've also introduced a small microedit between the end of the Sissel material and Pippin finding Merry - this isn't needed as it will sync without.

Could you give timestamps as how the tracks should be edited?

I didn't realize this until it was brought up by GK either.

Yes, I shall join him in bowing my head in shame.

To the Tree of Woe! Mush! Mush!

What next?!!! People will tell me that they didn't notice the use of the Seduction of the Ring lyrics when Gandalf reads the scroll of Isildur in Minas Tirith!

Flight to the Ford, however ... What the HELL? 12 years, and I never realised that was English! Shame on me, shame, shame ....

ROTFLMAO

I find this painfully amusing, partly that you never realized it until now, partly because it also took me a long time. Then again, I also thought Shore had used the "wrong" Elvish lyrics at some point...

The OST track had English singing in it?!

The OST version of this part of Flight to the Ford is a shorter alternate, with a solo female vocal very low in the mix.

http://www.lyndhursthouse.plus.com/fotr_ost_breakdown.pdf

ROTFLMAO

I find this painfully amusing, partly that you never realized it until now, partly because it also took me a long time. Then again, I also thought Shore had used the "wrong" Elvish lyrics at some point...

The OST track had English singing in it?!

The OST version of this part of Flight to the Ford is a shorter alternate, with a solo female vocal very low in the mix.

http://www.lyndhursthouse.plus.com/fotr_ost_breakdown.pdf

Yes indeed! I concur! I can't quite remember when did I first realize that the choir in Flight to the Ford was in English but it was years ago.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to correcting my video of the Sissel version of The Houses of Healing, it is rendering as I type.

The Houses of Healing (Sissel)

Is It Secret Is It Safe (Tracked Over in the Film)

The Mirror of Galadriel (Opening Dialed Out)

Well, I finally got around to correcting my video of the Sissel version of The Houses of Healing, it is rendering as I type.

The Houses of Healing (Sissel)

Is It Secret Is It Safe (Tracked Over in the Film)

The Mirror of Galadriel (Opening Dialed Out)

Nicely done!

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Gandalf the White is Reborn.

Drop the EE footage (Gandalf's line 'I am Saruman, or Saruman as he should have been') and the whole thing syncs perfectly without the need for any editing. :)

Finally been done!

After listening and watching these videos I feel I need to listen to some Lord of the Rings now.

Oh yeah, ha ha, I forgot you were both probably at the LOTR In Concert performances today.

Reporting the death of one of the Sons of the Steward (Restored)

Arwen's Fate (Alternate Placing)

Hearken to Faramir's Good Council

Makes me realize that for all its broadening of the story, The Hobbit never had these moments of delicious self-indulgence like LotR had.

Move out of the way as Theoden Rides Forth (Alternate Brass, No choir or Ben Del Maestro)

Prepare for The Descent of the Nazgul

Listen to The Tales That Really Matter (Restored Alternate)

The Two Towers finished, moving on to Return of the King, I am moving on to unfamiliar territory, so I am going to need help figuring out what was used or not.

• 4 weeks later...