The Second Great Musical Abstinence Challenge – 10 Days of Character Building

BLUMENKOHL

PBxAWuT.jpg

If you've ever seen the relatively crappy yet amusing fluff of comedy movie "40 Days and 40 Nights" it's about a guy that decided to stay celibate for 40 days and 40 nights after a break up (aka no shaking hands with the governor, if you catch my drift).

Well, since I'm sure most of us need no help staying celibate, being John Williams fans, here is an even more terrifying challenge to undertake, AGAIN! 10 days and 10 nights of not listening to any pure music CD/on computer/in car/iPod/etc. Watching movies and that sort of thing is OK. If you're the composing type, you can even write your music, even play your piano. But no listening to recorded music if you can help it! (Obviously being in a mall and hearing Katy Perry is not an infraction against you).

Now you may be asking, "Why Blumenkohl, would we want to emulate a crappy movie [AGAIN]?" John Williams has mentioned in interviews before that he maintains a degree of musical celibacy most of the time, especially when he is working.

So if you can't fathom emulating a movie, fathom emulating a divine being! And there are other benefits too. For example if you write music your head will be clear and your writing will be from within than influenced by everything else. If you just love listening to music, you probably are like most of us and listen until all the music starts to blur together.

This will help regain a bit of musical virginity. If you've never had the pleasure of returning to music (which most ofyou in this iPod age probably have not) after a while of not listening, it is a truly marvelous experience.

If you wish to partake, the celibacy begins this Friday 6 September, and you can listen to energizing, glorious music again Monday 16 September

LIST OF PARTICIPANTS:

Blumenkohl

Smeltington

TheGreyPilgirm

Wow! I might try it, although this will be a trying time, with the Goblet of Fire leak, and an album out next week that I've been looking forward to. I may have to plan to abstain from abstaining in that one case.

I've pretty much already failed at this. Something that occurred to me though is that it may be better not to totally give up listening, but to cut down on "background music," that is, listening to music while doing something else. I'm going to try only listening when I can sit down and give my undivided attention to what I'm hearing.

I'd love to see if musical chastity resulted in a clearer flow of ideas when composing, but something about it just doesn't sit right with me. Williams isn't the only composer I've heard mention it; Marty O'Donnell of the Halo games has as well. But I don't think it's for me.

Watching movies and that sort of thing is OK.

Isn't that rather like Bill Clinton's defence, that Oral Sex wasn't Sexual Relations?

Melange - Awaiting the 'Musical Abstinence" court cases that will surely follow.

Stefan - "Did you, or did you not, on the 10th of September 2013 watch an E.T 20th Anniversary DVD with re-mastered sound"

Quint - "I did indeed, Sir"

Stefan - "So, you blatantly admit that you broke your musical abstinence oath for the purposes of auditory stimulation?"

Quint - "No, that is not what I am saying"

Stefan - "Pray tell, Mr Quint. How do you explain this contradiction, for the benefit of the jury?"

Quint - "Simples! The mute function was switched on"

Melange - "Case adjourned until September 2014"

Wow! I might try it, although this will be a trying time, with the Goblet of Fire leak, and an album out next week that I've been looking forward to. I may have to plan to abstain from abstaining in that one case.

"Goblet Of Fire" is enough to make someone give up listening to music all together!

Is it all music, or just soundtracks? I'm confused.

I have absolutely zero interest in not listening to music. Also, if you allow people to express themselves by writing or playing their own music, that's the equivalent of masturbation in your analogy, which sorta breaks the rules.