Christophe Beck - Edge of Tomorrow (6/6/14) (Replaces Ramin Djawadi)

Matt C

Film Music Reporter announced that Ramin Djawadi (Pacific Rim) will score Doug Liman's sci-fi film Edge of Tomorrow (aka All You Need is Kill), which stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. The WB/Village Roadshow production will hit 2D, 3D and IMAX theaters June 6, 2014.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/09/04/ramin-djawadi-to-score-doug-limans-edge-of-tomorrow/

Djawadi certainly bounced back with the highly entertaining Pacific Rim, maybe he'll deliver some of that fun in this one. I wish Powell was scoring this, seems he's more selective than ever since his hiatus.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Powell was scoring this, seems he's more selective than ever since his hiatus.

I thought he's still on it? He turned down Miller's, Liman's, and Greengrass' new films. Isn't the only thing he's attached to How To Train Your Dragon 2? That one I figure is either a previous commitment from the first film, or he really loved it, or both. It's his best score so I'm not complaining, but it's disappointing that he's turning down all of his go-to directors.

• 3 months later...

Film Music Reporter says that there is a new composer on board for Edge of Tomorrow, but they haven't revealed who. And it's not Darren Rutter, per the film's IMDB page.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/09/04/ramin-djawadi-to-score-doug-limans-edge-of-tomorrow/#comment-53563

• 3 weeks later...

Oh don't act dumb...

I'm tired of hearing about RCP taking assignment after assignment from other composers. It's refreshing to see it happen the other way round. And it will result in a score not overproduced by Zimmer.

Someone lost their job, awesome stuff guys!

And where do you keep hearing about composer after composer getting rejected for someone associated with Zimmer? I say this more apt description because RCP isn't a person.

Jablonsky over Horner on Ender's Game. What else?

And where do you keep hearing about composer after composer getting rejected for someone associated with Zimmer? I say this more apt description because RCP isn't a person.

Don't be so dramatic about it. It's not like Djawadi needs to worry about finding work, and we don't even know why they changed composers.

Zimmer over Horner on Spider-man 2

I think that one less so. Didn't Horner have to be persuaded to do the first one? I'm guessing he just didn't want to do the sequel and Zimmer was the next choice.

But certainly Burwell on Gangster Squad, Zimmer doing Batman, Superman, and now Spidey, and Game of Thrones had Stephen Warbeck on before Djawadi. There are plenty out there.

There's actually a lot of cases where Hans and company replaced someone else from outside Remote Control. Just to name a few:

Regarding Henry (Delerue)

White Fang (Poledorius)

POTC (Silvestri)

Face-Off (Isham)

Chicken Run (Nott)

Something's Gotta Give (Silvestri)

Clash of the Titans (Armstrong)

Rat Race (Bernstein)

I don't mind some of these -most of Powell of course ended up for the better- but I'm just saying it's not that uncommon, Koray. But if I'm fair, RCP is a large group of composers and replacements have always been common, specially on these days, so it's not entirely illogical to see that said large group of composers ended up on a lot of replacement assigments.

Horner was never hired for the sequel, and therefore not replaced.

Don't be so dramatic about it. It's not like Djawadi needs to worry about finding work, and we don't even know why they changed composers.

I think that one less so. Didn't Horner have to be persuaded to do the first one? I'm guessing he just didn't want to do the sequel and Zimmer was the next choice.

But certainly Burwell on Gangster Squad, Zimmer doing Batman, Superman, and now Spidey, and Game of Thrones had Stephen Warbeck on before Djawadi. There are plenty out there.

Who's being dramatic? You said you're tired of hearing about composer after composer being rejected for someone from RCP. Ender's Game and Gangster Squad are the only ones in recent years. Jablonsky is not even RCP anymore. No one else was hired for Nolan's Batman films, Snyder's Man Of Steel, or Webb's Spider-Man sequel, so those don't count. Are you simply tired of Zimmer's monopoly on superheroes? That's a valid argument if you care to make it.

There's actually a lot of cases where Hans and company replaced someone else from outside Remote Control. Just to name a few:

Regarding Henry (Delerue)

White Fang (Poledorius)

POTC (Silvestri)

Face-Off (Isham)

Chicken Run (Nott)

Something's Gotta Give (Silvestri)

Clash of the Titans (Armstrong)

Rat Race (Bernstein)

I don't mind some of these -most of Powell of course ended up for the better- but I'm just saying it's not that uncommon, Koray. But if I'm fair, RCP is a large group of composers and replacements have always been common, specially on these days, so it's not entirely illogical to see that said large group of composers ended up on a lot of replacement assigments.

Of course stuff has happened over the past 20 years. I'm talking about recently.

Bullshit! Film composers work on a project base, like freelances. He didn't actually lose his job, he lost an assignment.

Also, he's big time now, I doubt he is crying over it!

Who's being dramatic? You said you're tired of hearing about composer after composer being rejected for someone from RCP. Ender's Game and Gangster Squad are the only ones in recent years. Jablonsky is not even RCP anymore. No one else was hired for Nolan's Batman films, Snyder's Man Of Steel, or Webb's Spider-Man sequel, so those don't count. Are you simply tired of Zimmer's monopoly on superheroes? That's a valid argument if you care to make it.

I meant dramatic in the sense of lamenting over a composer like Djawadi losing a scoring job.

Jablonsky is not even RCP anymore.

That's news to me, yet according to you, it's the most obvious thing in the world. When you're done being so condescending, let us know.

I don't remember you mourning the 3 projects Horner lost in the last year...

People lose assignments, and sometimes its for the better.

Hey, I don't care who the replacement is... he's replacing an RCP composer. That's awesome.

That's harsh. Yes, I prefer Christophe Beck taking this assignment, but I wouldn't exactly phrase it that way.

Christophe Beck (Frozen, "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer") is the replacement composer for Edge of Tomorrow.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/01/08/christophe-beck-scoring-doug-limans-edge-of-tomorrow/

Djawadi has all hands full with the new season of Game of Thrones. Maybe he wanted to quit because of that. I prefer it when he can fully concentrate on GoT and not have to worry about other projects at the same time. Considering how he improved his music over the seasons i expect a great season 4 score.

Oh yea, the scores to seasons 1 and 2 were meaningly drivel, season 3 actually had a few good cues. Maybe season 4 will actually have an album's worth of good cues?

Let's hope so.

Djawadi's greatest weakness still lies in thematic writing. Aside from the famous main titles, he struggles to write solid themes (with some exceptions). But yes, his music has been improving.

The Lannister's Theme is just fine!

It's alright (hardly what I call a strong theme). But like I said, there are some exceptions.

The Rains Of Castamere? Was the theme even by Djawadi, or was it written by The National?

No clue.

It was composed by Djawadi. Tyrion even whistles it in the beginning of season 2 which means they had the theme ready during the shoot before they even thought about the National.

No, all it means is that they shot footage of him whistling something. They can change the audio to whatever they want later.

That being said, it probably was written before they shot.

As i said in the Thrones thread months ago there are lots of themes and motifs. Djawadi certainly employs a leitmotific approach. In my opinion the thematic material is really good starting from season 1. The earlier seasons had problems in action and scenery writing.

I strongly disagree with the statement that Djawadi's weakness is the thematic writing. I would even say it is one of his strenghts.

The Stark Theme, Daenerys Theme, the Main Theme, the Baratheon/King Theme, the Greyjoy Theme, the Lannister Theme (Rains of Castamere) are all good melodies often with main and subsections. And if i compare them with let's say Shore's Laketown theme, Bard Theme or even the Smaug themes any of the mentioned Game of Thrones themes are better.

The Stark Theme, Daenerys Theme, the Main Theme, the Baratheon/King Theme, the Greyjoy Theme, the Lannister Theme (Rains of Castamere) are all good melodies often with main and subsections

I don't even know how half of these themes sound like (or I don't remember how they sound like).

The Stark Theme, Daenerys Theme, the Main Theme, the Baratheon/King Theme, the Greyjoy Theme, the Lannister Theme (Rains of Castamere) are all good melodies often with main and subsections

I don't even know how half of these themes sound like (or I don't remember how they sound like).

I can't even recall The Rains Of Castermere theme.

I don't know if you want to check them out but just for you here are corresponding tracks for the themes you may not know. They are developed throughout the whole show.

Stark Theme: "Winterfell" Season 2 soundtrack "A Theme" starts 1:14 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOLOSKvkH1Y)

Daenerys Theme: "Finale" Season 1 soundtrack starting 0:47 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EF2t4hFGzo) also contains the dragon motif which in season 1 still is very subtle (0:21-0:37)

Baratheon Theme: "The King's Arrival" Season 1 soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwL14sL7Yo)

Greyjoy Theme: " What Is Dead May Never Die" Season 2 soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2UjdjWBd3Y)

I don't remember you mourning the 3 projects Horner lost in the last year...

People lose assignments, and sometimes its for the better.

Hey, I don't care who the replacement is... he's replacing an RCP composer. That's awesome.

That's harsh. Yes, I prefer Christophe Beck taking this assignment, but I wouldn't exactly phrase it that way.

I did actually. I was looking forward to his Ender's Game score. And I understand it's a part of the business and sometimes for the better, but like you said right after, the way Rich was phrasing his opinions was simply asinine.

Can we go back to the old quoting system please?