Thomas Newman's Saving Mr. Banks

Jay

This is the new Disney film coming out this December about Walt Disney trying to get the movie rights to Mary Poppins from the book's author, and the subsequent production of the film.

Here's the trailer

Anyways, Thomas Newman is scoring it, and the CD comes out December 10th on Walt Disney Records. I assume there will be a standard AND deluxe edition, but right now only a 2CD Deluxe Edition is up for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYOGQ4S/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Tom Hanks is playing Tom Hanks in this movie.

But I am happy that Newman is scoring this! :)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like Newman, that's for sure. In a way The Book Thief sounds like Williams, Oz sounds like Elfman and For Greater Glory sounds like Horner.

For better or worse, I mean.

Karol

• 1 month later...

It remember me Hitchcock (2012) with Anthony Hopkins.

Is this the new mode today? Unable to make real bio pics, they concentrate on a specific event in the life of a personnality and think it will make a good movie?

Disney is not even in the title, gosh... What's the purpose? Who the hell is Mr. Banks?

Seems it will be another movie, that everything's good in it, except the movie itself!

It remember me Hitchcock (2012) with Anthony Hopkins.

Is this the new mode today? Unable to make real bio pics, they concentrate on a specific event in the life of a personnality and think it will make a good movie?

Disney is not even in the title, gosh... What's the purpose? Who the hell is Mr. Banks?

Seems it will be another movie, that everything's good in it, except the movie itself!

Really? Personally, I hate it when films try and cram the entirety of a famous person's life into a mere 150 minutes. I almost always find it lacking, and the best ones will indeed often focus on a single event or an important section of a person's life. Makes for a richer and more self-contained story, rather than a typically melodramatic highlights reel that tries to address everything and ends up revealing nothing. If this is the new trend in biopics, I think it's a good one.

Also this isn't actually a Disney biopic. The focus is on P.L. Travers, the lady who wrote Mary Poppins, rather than on Disney whose role is apparently a supporting one, as he tries to convince her to make the film. As for the title, Mr. Banks is the name of the children's father in Mary Poppins, so make of that what you will.

How about you see the film before making such generalizations? Didn't we just have a thread somewhere talking about how trailers are advertisements? Of course they're gonna make it look like the Disney mood and spirit. But it has Tom Hanks with a mustache!

Really? Personally, I hate it when films try and cram the entirety of a famous person's life into a mere 150 minutes.

Well, some succeed at it.

I must return to work, I am currently writting a scenario about the life of John Williams, the title is: "Jamming with Figrin d'An".

Who is Mr. Banks?

Mr. Banks is the name of the children's father in Mary Poppins.

As for Koray's post, there are parallels between Mr. Banks and Travers's father, played by Colin Farrell in flashbacks.