Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

12 hours ago, Michael said:

First trailer, Hedwig's theme is used two times

OK, finally watched this.  Frankly, it looks pretty boring.

Trailer music was awful, hated its version of Hedwig's theme

Oh, here's the US version

The movie looks better with each trailer, but I'm still skeptical. I don't doubt Rowling's writing ability, nor Eddie Redmayne's casting, but the plot seems unappealing.

I'll have to disagree with the grain and say I rather liked the trailer music.

I like the look of the film too. Hopefully with a period setting we're going to get a more traditional JNH score. Although I await the inevitable what if Williams had scored this? debate.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh my GAWD, that first Hedwig's Theme variation SUCKS! And the plot really is uninteresting. I want a movie about the Salem Witch trials.

you are not going to get that from JKR and to expect that is asinine.

I agree with Richard.

On 4/11/2016 at 11:25 AM, Joey said:

Sorry but your comment made me laugh at the sheer ignorance regarding colors. It's not Yates it's the majority  of films dp's. It's easier to go with that hideous color palette than adjust the films to real color and cheaper.

On 4/11/2016 at 8:08 AM, Thor said:

The director ideally has control over every single aspect of the film. You can't be serious stating that Yates has nothing to do with the look of his own film. THAT is absurd. Of course he has control. A film looks how the director wants. The DP realizes the vision that the director has.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The director ideally has control over every single aspect of the film. You can't be serious stating that Yates has nothing to do with the look of his own film. THAT is absurd. Of course he has control. A film looks how the director wants. The DP realizes the vision that the director has.

This is now often a studio decision. It's difficult to believe a hired gun has full control not with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. 

3 hours ago, Joey said:

This is now often a studio decision. It's difficult to believe a hired gun has full control not with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. 

He has say for sure.

Look at Snyder films. They look so peculiar. There are shit but atleast his own shit and not the studios shit. Even BvS as murky as it looks, is how he himself intended it to look.

And its a 250 million dollar production.

I agree cash grab films like Fantastic Beasts might give less control to the director, but he most definitely has a say. He's "in the room" when these things are getting called so to say, its not like the look is decided without any consultation with the director. That's his job. The studio pays him to oversee that.

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He has say for sure.

Look at Snyder films. They look so peculiar. There are shit but atleast his own shit and not the studios shit. Even BvS as murky as it looks, is how he himself intended it to look.

And its a 250 million dollar production.

I agree cash grab films like Fantastic Beasts might give less control to the director, but he most definitely has a say. He's "in the room" when these things are getting called so to say, its not like the look is decided without any consultation with the director. That's his job. The studio pays him to oversee that.

Thank you for proving my point. Snyder's shit fests are blue and orange just like the Potter films and the upcoming Beasts. Sadly just like most films notably the ugly latest Bond film and the last Mockingjay. We're in the ugliest of looks for movies in ages. It's cheaper to go with blue and orange cinematography than to make a beautiful color movie.

2 hours ago, Joey said:

Thank you for proving my point. Snyder's shit fests are blue and orange just like the Potter films and the upcoming Beasts. Sadly just like most films notably the ugly latest Bond film and the last Mockingjay. We're in the ugliest of looks for movies in ages. It's cheaper to go with blue and orange cinematography than to make a beautiful color movie.

I didn't realise colour gradists charged extra fees when you branch outside the teal and orange filter!

• 2 weeks later...

The annotated Star Wars screenplays were cool!

The Phantom Menace was released as an illustrated book. Clones and Sith were included in their Art of Books I think. 

Only ones ones I own I think. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or does that sound exceedingly like an Americanized carbon copy of Hogwarts?

Where:

Slytherin = Horned Serpent

Gryffindor = Wampus

Thunderbird = Ravenclaw

Pukwudgie = Hufflepuff

I think they should add a fifth house, just to make it clearly NOT the same.

Or does the wizarding world have international standards on the different houses in their schools?

Well if they are really doing THREE films set in America, I think eventually schooling will come up

2 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I mean isn't it pretty common for Schools to have four houses?

Is it? I haven't a clue. I only know of the "four houses" thing from Harry Potter.

If Hogwarts was the very first school then it's possible other schools names their houses after the four founders too.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 4:01 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Is it just me or does that sound exceedingly like an Americanized carbon copy of Hogwarts?

Where:

Slytherin = Horned Serpent

Gryffindor = Wampus

Thunderbird = Ravenclaw

Pukwudgie = Hufflepuff

I think they should add a fifth house, just to make it clearly NOT the same.

Or does the wizarding world have international standards on the different houses in their schools?

how are gryffindor and wampus remotely similar? one is some kind of cougar and the other is a lion, and the names are completely different.

as well with pukwudgie and hufflepuff, completely different names and the former is a form of troll.

It just comes down to this: JK Rowling actually regretts ending HP but can't find the courage to write another book. Meanwhile, WB is obsessed by butchering franchises and came up with the idea to Americanise the British franchise. Everything is now happening in Murica, including that film concert series, as though the rest of the world suddenly doesn't matter anymore. For the record, I don't have anything against the US, but this hopeless revival attempt is getting more ridiculous by the day.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Everything is now happening in Murica, including that film concert series, as though the rest of the world suddenly doesn't matter anymore.

That's essentially the mindset of most Americans. It's a very isolated country, in a way.

I'm super excited by the potential of JNH doing this score, but Yates is such a buzz kill. If JNH's abilities are dragged down by the direction, it'll be another coaster of a Potter-universe score.

Indeed I hope so much that James Newton Howard will write a proper good score.

I haven't been this hopeful about a Harry Potter soundtrack since Williams was still writing them.

More than any of those other composers (obviously excluding JW), JNH can come up with some glorious stuff.

I've been listening to his work again for the first time in quite some time and it can be really good.

Quite exciting that they decided to hire a composer who is actually able to write wonderful magical fun stuff.

Now I'm just holding out hope that they'll actually let him do that too.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

For me, Doyle's score was glorious and magical...

I agree! it had a bit of a Williams aesthetic but it stood on its own delivering memorable themes and a feeling of somber magic, perfectly matching the tone of the fourth film. of course I may be biased because the first 4 Potter films are my absolute favourites. 

Doyle made me fall asleep during the Voldemort track.

That might have been because I was sick when listening to it, but it certainly pales compared to the final confirmation in Philosopher's Stone.

That whole dragon chase flight scene also sounded "loud" more than it sounded "exciting".

Didn't even sound threatening either. Instead, it sounded rather slow for such a fast paced scene.

That scene could have had music that was more exciting than The Quidditch Match.

But that was not to be.

There were some good spots though. The Death Eaters was quite OK.

And there were some sort cool bits in both the Dragon Chase and the Black Lake scenes.

On the whole: not so bad. But not even close to Williams Good.

And not close to the best by James Newton Howard either.

I quite like whatever Doyle theme appears as Harry's parents appear in ghost-form to help him fight Voldemort in GOF. Harry In Winter is nice but repetitive; it's clearly aping Williams but doesn't understand the way he builds his concert suites with intricate orchestration.

There's plenty of great musical moments written by Doyle and Desplat, overall. The scores are just overwhelmingly flat due to Yates' flat direction.

I rate JNH higher than either composer though, so this is an exciting appointment. Just hoping the trailers are misleading and this film contains much more whimsy and magic than we're being shown.

The fourth film scored by Doyle was directed by Mike Newell.

Yates had Hooper and Desplat.

All subsequent Harry Potter scores had moments that were quite good.

But they're far between and the missed opportunities of thematic consistency bring it all crashing down.

None of it is exceptionally bad. But they had a very high standard to live up to and did not succeed one bit.

Doyle does tend to be a little too sentimental, but that's just his style, I think. As for Harry In Winter being repetitive, that's true too, but I find lots of concert arrangements in general to be very repetitive, no matter who composes them.

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Doyle made me fall asleep during the Voldemort track.

That might have been because I was sick when listening to it, but it certainly pales compared to the final confirmation in Philosopher's Stone.

That whole dragon chase flight scene also sounded "loud" more than it sounded "exciting".

Didn't even sound threatening either. Instead, it sounded rather slow for such a fast paced scene.

That scene could have had music that was more exciting than The Quidditch Match.

But that was not to be.

Same.  I love the score's lyrical music but the suspense and action music is very underwhelming.  It didn't have to have the frenetic sixteenth-notes of Williams' Potter scores but something more than sustained minor-key whole notes would have been preferable.  Very lethargic.  

I agree, Patrick Doyle is like Williams without the nuance. that being said, I still prefer that style over the minimalistic and somewhat generic tracks we got further down the line. I think I'd enjoy Alexandre Desplat's scoring if it had more of a Williams aesthetic because musically there are quite a few nice pieces, but the heavy feeling of the orchestra and overall darkness reminds me too much of Hans Zimmer.

I'm really so happy to know that JNH is scoring this film. He's one of my top favourites too and almost every score (especially Maleficent) I've heard from him lately is amazing. I don't dislike Mr. Yates' work as such but it's true that he watered down the music in his films too much. I still have hope that JNH will produce a very fine orchestral fantasy score. Just praying there's no last minute composer replacement or something. Definitely one of the scores I'm looking forward to most this year.