Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

They don't.

It's in the ring theory! 

The "overall meaning" is a little cheesy/corny/cringe-worthy, but then, every famous book we read in literature class at school last year had a cheesy "message" too, so that's not exactly unusual. 

On 9/22/2016 at 3:36 PM, Nick1066 said:

Yep. None of the films transformed, improved or expanded significantly on the source material in its own right, ala Jaws or The Godfather, both of which are arguably better than the books they're based on.

This pretty much says it all.  The only reason Azkaban stands out at all is because Cauron gave it a personal touch on the look, but all 8 of the flicks are still movie-esque because the source material is primed for it.  Jaws/Godfather are okay books, not great, that had a foundation, as well as kernels that could be changed or expanded upon when translated for film.

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

If you need that sort of thing to enjoy the Prequels, be my guest. But I'm neither convinced, nor particularly interested.

Well, that's all well and good, as long as you stick to saying you don't like them and don't say Lucas did a bad job and such. Because you'd be ignoring something masterful he put an immense amount of work into, which is a major omission that prevents fair judging of the work. If an artist constructed a beautiful painting where each color represented some broader idea, or John Williams uses incredible thematic complexity in a score, it would be unfair to the creator to ignore those points. Similarly, it's unfair to Lucas to ignore his use of chiasmus. 

A person can put an inordinate amount of time, energy and resources into something and still have it turn out terrible.  The amount of work someone dedicates to a work does not say a single thing about its result.

Someone really needs to have a quiet word in Yates' ear about this magical new discovery called COLOUR.

I know it's hard to believe, David, but you can actually make films without setting the saturation dial to -75 in every single shot.

Still mildly interested. So is this film gonna end on a huge cliffhanger for part 2? Because I'm not really following anymore: I thought it was going to be a trilogy in any case, but now they're only vaguely talking about the script for part 2 as though it's not realyl related. Also, any chance this film is gonna stand on its own or will I have to read triva on Pottermore (God forbid)?

Haha same on my laptop, but I double-checked it on my new desktop monitor and they were at least visible.

But I mean, really, it's one thing to hide in image in complete darkness for an ominous/disorienting effect, but these are some of the biggest establishing shots in the movies.

4 hours ago, Skelly said:

It also looks like they've washed out all the color again...

Oh bother; again? The real world does NOT look like that.

Therefore it adds no realism; it just sucks the life out of it.

Is it time for "modern movie syndrome" to die yet?

3 hours ago, Skelly said:

It gets so bad in DH Pt. 1 that, if you aren't sitting in a completely dark room with only the glow of the TV, you can't see what's going on at some points.

Yup. The "epic battle" looked EXACTLY like white dots moving around on a black screen.

Honestly didn't have a clue what was going on. I think it was supposed to be cool and maybe it was.

I just have no way of telling. :eh:

14 hours ago, Skelly said:

It looks like one of those movies that's fun to watch once, but it's so vapid you can't remember anything at all about it once it's over.

It also looks like they've washed out all the color again...

Wow, another desperate attempt to take it down using the same tired arguments...I can't count the colors in that trailer, they're so plentiful

a lot of vagueries, no actual complaints. Just relentless JKWW discrimination and bashing 

I guess the fantastic beasts trailer was a little to good to be trashed, so you attempted to rattle off a really irrelevant "color" argument again and then just dropped it and turned your focus back to DHP1

also, JNH's score sounds loud, obnoxious, cartoonish, lacking in subtlety and beauty...a lot like John Williams. Horrible score. 

16 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

He's heard it in his mind.

He should have at least heard a better score in his mind and not something horrible lacking in subtlety and beauty.

I vaguely get the same feeling from watching this trailer as I do from the one for Rogue One. It feels undefined to me, like it doesn't quite know what it wants to be.

Two franchises stepping out of their core mythology with new characters and situations. Both will make a ton of money, of course, but I can't say I'm entirely optimistic about how good these films are going to be. 

I like the opening of the trailer with the swirling celesta ... and it goes downhill from there. I'll still see the film of course. I'm sure it will be good. I'm just finding it hard to get excited about it. Perhaps because so many members here aren't excited about it. 

Seemed like there was so much going on during that trailer that it becomes a bit overkill.

Didn't grasp much of the story yet though. And I don't remember a huge lot of witty humour either.

Hopefully the actual film will be more balanced.

• 2 weeks later...