Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Well, they recast Dumbeldore back in 2002 and they seem to have managed fine.

But yeah, that will be wierd; and I daresay I thought Depp was a good villain in these. Oh well...

I don’t know whether Johnny Depp is guilty or not but it probably wasn’t a good idea to get him involved in the HP universe anyway

End of film 1, I thought... OH NO NOT JOHNNY DEPP!!!

Film 2, I thought... surprised they kept Johnny Depp in spite of controversy. But he was actually good!

And now... WTF!!! But I never wanted Grindlewald to be in these, so it would be awfully nice if they just left out the character altogether. That might make too much sense though.

Johnny Depp should have written a note saying he refused to work with JK Rowling after her own controversies. LOL! I'm cancelled, you're cancelled, everybody's cancelled.

The fact that they cast him at all in the midst of these proceedings was just asking for this inevitability.

I agree with Smeltington - he was surprisingly passable in part 2.  But, they recast Dumbledore in this series, so they can recast Grundlewald.  No sweat.

Yeah I don’t think the recast will be that big a deal at all. 

But Depp was very good in the second one I thought. 

Both Depp and Amber Heard seem like a right pair off assholes irl though. 

Depp was indeed very good in the role.

WB had the chance to fire him before movie 2. They should have done that. Because he appears for a like a few minutes in Movie 1. So the recast wouldn't have been jarring.

Now he had a big role in Movie 2. So this recast will be more problematic.

But then again, the character is heavily made-up with a specific look. So maybe if they do a good make-up job with the next actor, it will be close enough.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Don't, you're not missing anything. Just listen to the score.

I like both scores!

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Deepfake it.

EDIT- Deppfake it

LOL!

18 minutes ago, toothless said:

Bring back Colin Farrell :) 

I liked him in the first film but I don’t think a fair heard German is in his range. 

As long as JNH remains the composer for the franchise, I don't care about casting choices. As far as I know, WB can cast Meryl Streep as Grindelwald and Kevin Hart as Dumbledore that I wouldn't care. The second movie did enough damage for me to never care about these films again, only the scores.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yes, only because Richard Harris died!

WB are just arseholes who don't want the bad press, absolutely no reason to ask Depp to stand down; despite the ruckus he's been involved in, one has to think his army of fans were responsible for half of the second film's box office revenue!

Now, we have fans shitting on Rowling and studios too afraid to touch Depp. WB are perfectly happy to accept Rowling for the money she rakes in, but not Depp?

To be fair to WB, Depp did just lose a libel case which basically said it was ok to describe him as a “wife beater”. Regardless of whether he actually is, it’s just too much of a distraction. Any newspaper article about this franchise is going to be accompanied by “Fantastic Beasts star, wife beater Johnny Depp”. Any franchise would want to distance themselves from this.

The weird thing is that WB knew about these allegations before they even cast him, so I’m not sure what has actually changed.

I mean we discussed this right. Rowling couldn’t be fired. She ultimately owns the copyright for the entire wizarding world. 
firing her would topple an empire - WB’s empire. I don’t think they want to do that.

if Rowling were a lower level ordinary scriptwriter, of course she would have been fired.

My thoughts, if anyone cares for them:

Everything about Grindelwald is utter perplexing to me in these films. His look is so odd and all over the place, the casting of Depp also seems odd for the character. Simply put: I don't get it and I do not see what some people see in this interpretation of the character. Collin Ferrell was excellent though and I really wish more could've been done with him, but I also sort of like the simplicity of having him end up being a Grindelwald fanatic / follower. It shows the far reach of Grindelwald's influence and shows what his followers are willing to do for him. I would've found that a more interesting character than it simply being Grindelwald. That felt dumb the first time around, and sticks in like a sore thumb in an otherwise pretty nicely done film (in my opinion). It felt super shoehorned in and an almost Marvel-esque franchise set-up.

I'm not sure about the actual reason WB let him go as, arguably, when all this started Depp was in far more hot water than he is now as far as public opinion was concerned. Quite frankly I'm pretty much done with this series at this point. I don't plan to go out of my way to see the remaining 3 installments, if it makes it that far. The second film was also perplexing, convoluted, nonsensical at times and felt horribly under-polished and rushed among other things. Which is unfortunate as I really enjoyed the first film. At most, I'll keep up with JNH's scores, because I do think his work continues to shine in the series. If I'm curious I may watch the remaining films on HBO Max or whatever in like 5-10 years, but eh.

To be clear, I'm not stopping with this series as a sort of protest because they fired Depp, but because this is yet another blow to what consistency and quality was left of the storytelling. WB knew about the controversy with Depp and went with him anyway knowing that they may change their tune on him. Seems very short-sighted as they didn't have to cast someone in such a big role who had risk of getting the boot any second. You will sever any connection the audience has a bit when he is recast. When Richard Harris passed and he had to be replaced as Dumbledore, it was widely understood that it had to be done by audiences. They didn't even really hide it either, giving Dumbledore a new costume, color scheme, everything. Plus, he was replaced coming off of two well-done films that mainly centered around other characters at the time. Dumbledore was a more distant and mysterious presence in those first two films. Grindelwald is arguably more central in this series at this point.

TL;DR: I was already on the fence due to the massive quality drop in two. Eh. My interest is official lost, save for some new JNH scores.

Percival Graves wasn't a fanatic, he was murdered by Grindelwald who assumed his identity to be able to infiltrate MACUSA. I agree Farrel was a great choice, but I liked the idea of a great evil being concealed and later revealed to be this powerful dark wizard - like Sauron/The Necromancer.

As for Depp's look, I much prefer his unkempt, long hair at the start of Crimes, it gave him this unhinged look that made him seem dangerous.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Percival Graves wasn't a fanatic, he was murdered by Grindelwald who assumed his identity to be able to infiltrate MACUSA. I agree Farrel was a great choice, but I liked the idea of a great evil being concealed and later revealed to be this powerful dark wizard - like Sauron/The Necromancer.

As for Depp's look, I much prefer his unkempt, long hair at the start of Crimes, it gave him this unhinged look that made him seem dangerous.

I know he wasn’t a fanatic. I get what actually happened, I just meant I would’ve preferred that have happened than him just BE Grindelwald. It’s such a lame plot twist. The whole time there’s build up and talk of him and his influence; his followers. Would’ve been much more interesting to SEE that before we ever see Grindelwald. When you think back and think about a Graves as being Grindelwald the whole time I’m certain scenes...it just comes off as silly to me. I rolled my eyes at that reveal when I saw it the first time. It almost diminishes his influence, because despite hearing about it several times in the film...you don’t really see it. Having Farrell instead just be Graves, but corrupt and a follower of Grindelwald would’ve felt more sinister to me and really brought the film home.

We can agree that Depps long haired look is a touch better though. It lines up with how the younger version looked too.

Mads Mikkelsen in talks to replace Depp.

I think he's too old for the part in some ways.

There's supposed to be a romance between Jude Law and this actor. 

Dunno could work.

I was hoping they would go with someone like Claes Bang.

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There's supposed to be a romance between Jude Law and this actor. 

Dunno could work.

I was hoping they would go with someone like Claes Bang.

Eh. He'll be fine. It doesn't really matter who plays him at this point. :lol:

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There's only 7 years difference between Mikkelsen and Law.

Depp is two years older than Mikkelsen.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I can see Mikkelson fitting the role perfectly, but with a wardrobe change and a longer hairstyle like his role as Galen Erso in Rogue One.

actually, if they keep the look the same it’s not even that jarring of a change:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHblxcRAe5c/?igshid=luy6u8kd6e38

Yeah that looks fairly decent. They shouldn't be afraid to change things up though. Dumbledore's costume went from wizardly robes to elaborate gowns and beard ties etc.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, Jay said:

I still haven't seen the second film

Don't bother. It's an incoherent mess.

That said, the recasting is a BIG upgrade. But even with that, it needs to be wrap up things. I don't want two more movies of Eddie Redmayne bumbling his way through the story.

It's not incoherent. The biggest crimes of these films are the sidelining of Newt's character, much like Bilbo in the Hobbit films. I just don't understand how Rowling squandered an opportunity to make Indiana Jones-like adventure films...

They should've called the first film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and then immediately dropped that title for the second installment.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It's not incoherent. The biggest crimes of these films are the sidelining of Newt's character, much like Bilbo in the Hobbit films. I just don't understand how Rowling squandered an opportunity to make Indiana Jones-like adventure films...

They should've called the first film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and then immediately dropped that title for the second installment.

Yeah I wouldn't call it incoherent either, but it is nonsensically convoluted enough that I don't blame someone for interpreting it as incoherent. The first film was so simple, I have no idea why they decided to add in so much unnecessary crap. Probably to stretch it to 5-films, which...I agree with you. I have no idea what is supposed to even happen in the next film...let alone the next THREE.

Also agreed about the title. It's hardly about the beasts anymore. I almost would've been happy to just have WB start making anthology movies. Fantastic Beasts would be great on it's own maybe with some tweaks and the Grindlewald stuff...could be great on it's own. It's weird to have them intertwined in the way that they are. It seems really odd.

But I also really agree about the adventure films. They hardly make those anymore, and I'd much rather have followed the characters from Fantastic Beasts in some fun adventure films.