Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Are you sure? Isn't a McGuffin something that's necessary for something relevant to happen? When have these beasts ever been revelant to the story, except for the memory wipe thing? Oh, sorry, okay, I guess you are right, they just don't interest me at all.

Newt just landed like a wet fart and really cannot carry this franchise. I'm not at all a fan of Redmaine's portrayal. Apparently Matt Smith was the first choice for the role, off the back of his stellar run in Doctor Who; the Eleventh Doctor is an obvious inspiration for Newt, right down to the outfit. Smith would've been brilliant, but I imagine he wasn't interested in being typecast like that. He would've made Newt so much more more personable and charismatic, while still preserving the inherent awkwardness of the character.

I'm all for a prequel story with Dumbledore/Grindelwald etc, but cramming in Newt and the creatures just feels so unnecessary.

I really like Fogler's character though, he really carried the first film, and I'm glad he's still around. Jude Law looks great in this too, as does Mikkelsen. I probably won't go to the cinema to see this, it'll be a hungover-on-the-couch watch for me.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Pretty much. As much as I love the Dumbledore/Grindelwald story, it hijacked what could've been an opportunity to do something completely different from the Potter films. What could've been bright, wholesome adventuring, is instead a murky, dark, dismal series, with the Beasts serving as little more than spectacle, or worse, magical macguffins.

This. 100% agree. I want some fun adventure films. So tired of all the damn doom and gloom. I'm over it.

I'll read the plot synopsis later tonight, but it is insulting how nostalgia bait-y that trailer is. They're trying SO hard to get people in on this movie. It's so blatant.

I don't need Hogwarts and robes, and golden snitches, and a reprise of all this stuff from Potter to be interested again. If that's what I wanted I'd just go watch Potter again. Fantastic Beasts 1 had none of that and I adored that film.

They don't care about my opinion at all, but they're not winning me over with this. XD

I read the whole thing. Let's just say it doesn't seem to be that much better than Crimes of Grindelwald. 

I think I'll wait for the movie to drop on HBOMax. 

That said, I'm really looking forward for the score JNH will write for the...

Spoiler

Grindelwald vs Dumbledore magical battle. 

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That said, I'm really looking forward for the score JNH will write for the...

Knowing David Yates, he'll probably leave it unscored.

Spoiler

The climactic showdown between Dumbledore and Voldemort in OOTP had basically no music either. 

Anyway, we will have a Brazilian actress in the movie, playing a Brazilian witch. I've seen her on some novelas around here and she's really good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXbgi26ugCG/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=267efdca-1620-4086-a824-c730f6ba0028

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is Newt even the main character anymore?

The synopsis Jay linked is fairly Newt-centric.

But...suppose it wasn't, and that the characters the script chose to focus on instead - say, Dumbeldore or Jacob or whomever - were just as interesting, would that be so bad? We get so caught up in what a story should be, that we forget to appreciate them for what they are.

If there is one thing I didn’t expect to see in this trailer, it was worse special effects than the first two movies (and, I know it might not be finished in trailer). This feels and looks cheap.

Also, I’m tired of brown/Grey color palette. 

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Whyyyyyyyy is he still the go-to guy when his direction and blocking is so bland, lifeless and style-less? Wasn't it enough that he ruined the latter HP films? At least Newell botched GoF in a very watchable way.

Newell botched GOF? i don't know. Yeah, okay, they shout a lot, but I'm still surprised at how much they managed to cram into the movie. At least they still made a genuine effort to preserve lots of book stuff. Yates never cared.

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Newell botched GOF? i don't know. Yeah, okay, they shout a lot, but I'm still surprised at how much they managed to cram into the movie. At least they still made a genuine effort to preserve lots of book stuff. Yates never cared.

I don't think this is really fair, especially when Yates was part of deciding to split Deathly Hallows in two. 

Yes, and he still managed to exclude loads. Off the top of my head: Dumbledore's backstory (or was that because he already knew about the beasts crap?), crucial Horcrux conversations, Lupin and Harry's argument, complete Harry's parents' death flashback...

Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows 2 are among the best films of the saga, in my opinion. 

But Yate's directing is always horrible when it comes to blocking (as others have said, everyone just stands around looking bored) and editing (lifeless and slow).

3 minutes ago, oierem said:

Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows 2 are among the best films of the saga, in my opinion. 

Order of the Phoenix is definitely the best as far as I see it.

And I refuse to accept this idea that the film is somehow great in spite of Yates.

David Yates directing is very standard - I would call it reliable and old-fashioned. I won't deny there is a certain stateliness to it. I think he's hired because he can be relied upon to deliver a decent product - which he has done everytime the script was good. He's not a director that can take a so-so script and turn it into a great film - great directors can do that. Instead, he will faithfully translate the script to the screen. 

In that regard he is a writer and producer's dream - that is what they eventually want - a director who delivers the script on the screen and is not putting in two many distracting hijinks.

For what these films are, I think his direction is fine, competent, unobtrusive and inoffensive. 

Katherine Waterstone is in the movie but with reduced screen time. It has nothing to do with politics or any disagreements. She was pregnant during parts of the filming and then was suffering from Covid for the majority of the rest of it. 

The summary Jay posted is legit but it is far from the whole film. It was based on one very early test screening which apparently left entire subplots out of the cut. 

2 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

He also sucks out every bit of character out of all the…characters. Everyone has this weird reservedness (?) about them in his movies, standing around and delivering their lines as boring as can be. Until you can barely tell one character from the other, only visually. 

In the books people are way more talkative, Yates has them standing around a bunch and looking all doom and gloom. 

This series could have been so much better and more, had we had a competent director and writer pairing throughout. Instead we got this weird botched Frankenstein, where the only real good one is Azkaban due to Cuarons directing. 

The reservedness is british and the standing around delivering lines is play-like direction which believe it or not was quite common in the movies up until the 70s almost. 

If you see the classic films from yester year - say something like A Man of for all Seasons - films which won oscars for directing etc. they are directed the same way. Characters standing in groups and delivering lines by turn.

Again, not realistic and maybe even desirable. But it is unobtrusive and lets the story move along without too many distractions.

It is not very imaginative or accomplished, but it gets the job done.

13 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It is not very imaginative or accomplished, but it gets the job done.

Nor is it like the books they're adapted from. The characters and their interactions ironically reads more cinematic than they appear on film.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

True, but then, the concluding film often struggles: like, I'd watch Deathly Hallows Part 2 on-loop over The Rise of Skywalker...

Luckily, TROS isn’t the concluding film…………….,,,,,

1 hour ago, Once said:

Nor is it like the books they're adapted from. The characters and their interactions ironically reads more cinematic than they appear on film.

I might argue that in that way - modern blockbuster American cinema is more analogous to TV than cinema. I think think that is definitely true of Marvel and wizarding wolrd universe too. 

To that extent - writers and producers ("showrunners") are king in such a set-up, where the reliance is most on plot. So the directors play a more functional role. 

I think in a set up like this Yates then serves his purpose.

Yeah I don't hate him at all. It should've been Mads from the beginning honestly. He just fits the character better I feel like. And this next bit isn't entirely Depps fault, but they have him looking like a regular wizard now at least. I think it was really unnecessary with the weird style choices. He just looked wacky.

1 hour ago, ForestMusic said:

Sorry for getting political, but Mads Mikkelsen gets so much hate, it's insane. He doesn't deserve it in my opinion.

Huh? What hate? 

I don’t think Mads himself gets any hate but if you go onto an social media post about FB it is full of JD fanboys saying they’re boycotting the franchise. 

Saying that. Mads’ Instagram was hacked and taken down the the other day. 

Poppy Corby-Tuech got some flack too I think purely for saying she was excite to work with him or something. 

JD fanboys are a bit weird. Not Reylo or Dramione levels of fucked up but definitely out there.  

• 1 month later...