Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

8 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Another pretty terrible poster. It really does look like a direct to video movie based off the posters.

274822465_10159838335449313_228952364588

Also. Official upload of the new trailer:

Looks like the plot leaks were very accurate. Gosh this really does not look good.

The plot leak is 10000% accurate.

Also now they are being open about it, no Tina on the poster. 

I think one of the failings of this franchise is the continued subordination of major characters. The 4 main characters were supposed to be Newt, Tina, Queenie and Jacob along with Credence & Grindelwald.

Grindelwald and Newt are still front and center but now Dumbledore from film 2 has usurped the lead position. 

Queenie is the second layer, Credence in the 3rd, Jacob in the 4th and Tina nowhere to be seen. 

And you have prominent placement for Theseus from film 2, and these 3 new characters who I don't even remember if they were in film 2. 

So the audience is investing in the cast of a film, and you are switching the main players on them in every film. You cannot build franchise loyalty with that.

Totally agree @TheUlyssesian.

I really have to wonder if this would've been better off as an anthology type of series, where each film focuses on a different group of individuals contributing to this overarching story. That way there's commitment to changing out the cast vs this luke-warm approach where they're desperately trying to shoe horn in the cast from the first film.

The first film very much so feels like a completed story to me with little winks towards the future, but nothing that immediately necessitates a sequel with these characters (even though I did want one). Wonder if it would've helped to have focused more on different characters in Film 2 and deviate completely from the cast of the first film. Certainly would've given Film 2 some more focus.

The alternative of course is to do a better job of weaving the main characters in more prominently with everything else going on, but instead we keep getting more and more side characters every film.

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Totally agree @TheUlyssesian.

I really have to wonder if this would've been better off as an anthology type of series, where each film focuses on a different group of individuals contributing to this overarching story. That way there's commitment to changing out the cast vs this luke-warm approach where they're desperately trying to shoe horn in the cast from the first film.

The first film very much so feels like a completed story to me with little winks towards the future, but nothing that immediately necessitates a sequel with these characters (even though I did want one). Wonder if it would've helped to have focused more on different characters in Film 2 and deviate completely from the cast of the first film. Certainly would've given Film 2 some more focus.

Its obvious Rowling couldn't find enough to for all her characters. This is a problem usually seen in TV.

Movie it seemed Newt, Tina and Jacob got a lot to do, Queenie not so much.

Movie 2, it seemed to me Queenie got a lot, Newt kinda okay, and Tina and Jacob not so much.

Movie 3, Tina nothing, Queenie again nothing, Newt and Jacob some stuff.

I agree she's written herself into a corner with some of her choices. Like Jacob, I love him but he literally does not belong in the larger story. What on earth is he going to do or how will he add value? Rowling doesn't seem to have a good solution to that.

And its a pity that she can't find enough for Tina and Queenie to do. Hermoine is one of the great characters of modern blockbuster cinema simply because she had so much plot importance and got so much to do in nearly every film. 

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The movie looks atrocious, but hopefully JNH's score will be great.

I have the same hope. I may not even see the film until it comes out on streaming. I might just experience the score alone for several months.

I am a tad fearful that they'll have forced JNH to do a bunch more nostalgic callbacks to Hedwig's Theme like they did with The Hobbit though. Even the few times they did it in FB1 it stuck out like a sore thumb. 

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The movie looks atrocious, but hopefully JNH's score will be great.

From the trailers it looks like Howard can really compose some great setpieces. I'm hoping on a release like the first FB film. I still think the 2 FB album is too short

7 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I have the same hope. I may not even see the film until it comes out on streaming. I might just experience the score alone for several months.

That's exactly my plan.

8 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

From the trailers it looks like Howard can really compose some great setpieces. I'm hoping on a release like the first FB film. I still think the 2 FB album is too short

Indeed, Crimes of Grindelwald should've been a 2 disc album. The OST has a pretty good listening experience, but there's some unreleased cues I'd like to hear one day.

3 hours ago, crypto said:

I challenge anyone to explain what the hell the Fantastic Beasts posters tell us about ANYONE in the cast, their relevance to the story, their character's personality traits, or their relationship to one another.

Well you see, half of them look more concerned, while the other half look more surprised. Some of them look like they're vaguely concerned AND mildly surprised.

They must have focus groups/surveys that show that these kind of ugly posters that are just a bunch of floating faces are effective at getting people's eyes.  They're just so much the default for movie posters.

What is this movie even about? Nothing at all that I've ready or seen has given any indications. It just looks like a series of action scenes and meaningless revelations about characters we don't know or care about. I suppose what the first two were like that as well; no real plot to speak of - I can't even remember what happened in the second one.

The 2nd film had it's moments. And Depp was very good, and he's not in it anymore. So I'm not really sure what the pull for this film is anymore.

There was a time I was very excited to see the Dumbledore/Grindelwald story play out, but with Depp gone and the trouble with Rowling it's not as exciting anymore.

Which is a shame, becuase Jude Law is a very strong actor and doens't deserve to be the face of how this franchise is falling.

But who knows. Maybe the film will surprise us

Hmmm, I probably won't read that. Mainly just because if I do end up watching it (which will be when it lands on a streaming service I already have) I'd like to have some engagement with how it's meant to be told.

Also, not to derail or engage in controversy, but I really hate the culture of plot leaks. It always ends up painting the film/book/show in broad strokes, reducing it to plot points and revelations and missing any sense of nuance or authorial intent. I know that's ironic considering my recent posts on this particular film series, but (my thoughts of JKR's opinions or talent notwithstanding) I always try to engage with art on its own terms before formulating an opinion. It recently happened with Game of Thrones and The Last Jedi; so many people read leaked information and hated what they read, going into the film/episodes already angry and not engaging with how those events are depicted and what the implications were. It only serves to muddy the discourse around the art in question, and further removes nuance from discussions about why we like or dislike the art we engage with. And on top of that it devalues the skills and craft of directors, screenwriters, editors, composers, effects artists etc etc when those plot elements are removed from context. 

Anyways, the movie still looks garbage, but if I am to call it garbage I'm only going to do so after I see it.

Good grief, those are atrocious!

Ugly, dark, cluttered, illegible, visually confusing, zero compositional logic.

If ever a marketing campaign screamed "studio notes," this is it.

As somebody who legit had a perfect storm of sleepless anxiety as a hormonal teenager waiting for the Goblet of Fire movie, would actually be kind of annoyed going to other movies because they weren't GOF, still could tell you all the release dates of the Harry Potter movies and books which burned into my brain from anticipation....

....it says something that I really had no idea this was coming out in a couple weeks. Can't tell if it's more symbolic as a personal rite of passage or the general nonexistent hype around this thing

But pleasantly surprised I'll get to hear what James Newton Howard has been up to sooner than I thought

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

As somebody who legit had a perfect storm of sleepless anxiety as a hormonal teenager waiting for the Goblet of Fire movie, would actually be kind of annoyed going to other movies because they weren't GOF, still could tell you all the release dates of the Harry Potter movies and books which burned into my brain from anticipation....

....it says something that I really had no idea this was coming out in a couple weeks. Can't tell if it's more symbolic as a personal rite of passage or the general nonexistent hype around this thing

But pleasantly surprised I'll get to hear what James Newton Howard has been up to sooner than I thought

I think the majority of people stopped caring about this franchise in 2018. They lost me back then anyway. It all feels so... unnecessary.

There is some nice James Newton Howard (ahem, John Williams) music in this clip.

Look, don't get me wrong, I love William's music but I wish it wasn't used as much. It fits I think over the logo at the opening and maybe when we get a shot of Hogwarts, but I don't want it to be the thing that's constantly heard throughout the film.

Newton Howard is too much of a talented composer to be sidelined to themes that don't really fit the timelime of the story.

I am excited to hear the score. That's basicly at this moment the only reason I want to see the film, to hear how the score works to picture.

Warner's desperate attempt to link this new FB with the HP movies and thus appeal to nostalgia is getting rather funny. :lol:

It's like they're begging the audience: "Please, this movie will have everything you liked about Harry Potter, please buy a ticket!"