Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Well, it was just a matter of time until WB found some way to make more HP films. No way were they ever going to leave well enough alone. This feels like a pretty desperate move on their part, and very unnecessary. Still, Rowling's involvement means there's a chance it could be worthwhile, and with her role as screenwriter it sounds like she might even be more involved than she was on the HP films. Hopefully this will lend some degree of quality control to the proceedings. I like the idea of magical creatures as subject matter, and I'm glad they aren't trying to make direct sequels or prequels to the main storyline. That way if it ends up being a travesty, at least it won't ruin the other movies!

I do have some trepidation at the idea that this will be a SERIES, and not just a one-off. But given the fact they were due to keep milking the series in some way, it's not the worst thing that could happen, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

Isn't bestiary like...interfering with animals?

That's bestiality. Valid question.

I suppose someone could think the Necromancer at Dol Guldur or the Necromongers of Riddick screw with dead bodies. Literally.

Way to go, JK. Milk that franchise dry.

Did you guys really believe that a multi-BILLION dollars franchise would have been left alone forever?

If others are continuing to make Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Marvel films, I really don't see why Warner Bros. shouldn't continue to cash on their all-time biggest property with new contents.

As a fan, I'm kinda mixed on this. I'm glad JKR is writing the screenplay, meaning she has control like she did with the original series, but I don't know. She doesn't seem like the type of person to break down and say, "Okay, I'll do it", after being pressured to continue with the series.

Seems like she had a lot of ideas, and she approached WB about doing it -- rather than the other way around.

Well, given that (according to current plans) it starts in New York and takes plays in the early 1900s, I get some kind of "King Kong" vibe from this... could turn out to be a fun adventure hunting for mythical creatures in exotic locations... with magic!

For now, color me sceptical but moderately intrigued.

Will this in any way different from PERCY JACKSON, SORCERER'S APPRENTICE and similar cinematic gifts we received since 2001? I mean apart from not featuring Nicolas Cage...

Please don't group Harry Potter or its creator in with that tripe...

Will this in any way different from PERCY JACKSON, SORCERER'S APPRENTICE and similar cinematic gifts we received since 2001? I mean apart from not featuring Nicolas Cage...

It could theoretically be different. But will it be? Fuck knows.

I don't think this movie will happen in 2015, unless JKR finishes the screenplay within months. Usually, she maps out a TON of details and a storyline before she even starts writing -- which is a big asset for her. But the length of time varies.

I think this will be a 2016 film, at the earliest.

I guess it's easy to be cynical about this, but I'm just glad that Rowling's going to have a major creative role and that she's not really messing with Harry's story. I'm all for more stories about the wizarding world, but I like having Harry's journey limited to those seven books and anything she tried with his kids would probably feel like a retread or a comedown.

Not that anyone was exactly clamoring for a Newt Scamandar movie, either, but it sounds like it could be fun. I love the idea of getting to see Rowling's take on America at the turn of the 20th century and I'll be interested to see who they get to direct and star. Also a JW return would be cool, but I'd fully support a new composer and 100% original material as well. They didn't make musical continuity enough of an issue for it to matter, and it doesn't seem like it'd be necessary for this, anyway.

This sounds like a tired attempt to milk the cash cow as many have said here. Isn't Rowling rich enough already? I would be interested in this only if JW returned to score the movie(s).

I don't think there's any doubt that she doesn't work for money anymore - not with the huge amounts she donates to charity. She only does what intrigues her, as she should.

I don't think there's any doubt that she doesn't work for money anymore - not with the huge amounts she donates to charity. She only does what intrigues her, as she should.

Yup, I think she's interested in writing a screenplay and this really is a nice way (for her of starting it) as stated she doesn't work for money anymore. She doesn't need to.It could be fun, it could be great, or it could be absolutely terrible it's far to early to tell. Put me down in the intrigued pile.

You know, if they had an interesting premise to go on, I wouldn't be so cynical. But the idea they're going for really makes it seem like this will be another "Percy Jackson" with improved visuals and a bigger budget....pathetic. But I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

It'd be like making a The Fauna And Flora of Middle-Earth movie. WTF?

Haven't you heard? That's what the new trilogy will be based on, 10 years from now. It'll be shot in front of the massive green screen in Peter Jackson's basement and will be scored by Plan 9.

This sounds like a tired attempt to milk the cash cow as many have said here. Isn't Rowling rich enough already? I would be interested in this only if JW returned to score the movie(s).

She owes her livelihood to Harry Potter, and she doesn't need the money anymore. For example, the royalties generated from the Harry Potter tie-in books and Cuckoo's Calling go to related charities.

Before she hit it big, she was writing for herself (and she still does, that's why she published Cuckoo's Calling under a pseudonym). I don't think she'd dip back in the HP well unless there was a story she really wanted to tell -- and not because she caved to pressure and a massive paycheck.

Yeah, she famously came from a humbling place of poverty and depression and I've never had the impression from her that she's forgotten it or become obsessed with wealth and fame. She seems to be as generous and well-grounded as anyone with millions of pounds can be.

Well, my guess would be that the process went something like this:

WB wanted more HP money

WB already had the rights to the Magical Creatures and Quidditch books, from back when they purchased the rights to the entire series

WB decided to proceed with a film based on the Magical Creatures book, as they didn't have a lot of other options

WB reached out to JK Rowling to see if she would like to be involved in some capacity

JKR realized the film would happen no matter what, and decided to protect it as best she could by signing on as screenwriter

Whatever happened, I feel convinced that WB is in it for $$$ and JKR is in it because it's her baby.

I wasn't sure if they had the rights to the Magical Creatures book, but if that's true, then that may very well be what happened. Hopefully a great idea really did come with it, but yeah, I suspect that she realized they had found a way to milk the cash cow further, and if that was to happen, she at least wanted any creative shortcomings to be her fault, rather than sit back and watch Time Warner executives suck all the personality out of it.

You know, if they had an interesting premise to go on, I wouldn't be so cynical. But the idea they're going for really makes it seem like this will be another "Percy Jackson" with improved visuals and a bigger budget....pathetic. But I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

I think it sounds more like an Indiana Jones-ish movie set in the 20's - and starting in New York. Scamander is an explorer of magical beasts.

Well, my guess would be that the process went something like this:

WB wanted more HP money

WB already had the rights to the Magical Creatures and Quidditch books, from back when they purchased the rights to the entire series

WB decided to proceed with a film based on the Magical Creatures book, as they didn't have a lot of other options

WB reached out to JK Rowling to see if she would like to be involved in some capacity

JKR realized the film would happen no matter what, and decided to protect it as best she could by signing on as screenwriter

Whatever happened, I feel convinced that WB is in it for $$$ and JKR is in it because it's her baby.

They don't own the right to those books, so that can't be what happened. I think it happened like this:

- WB wanted more HP money.

- WB thought about basing a movie on the Magical Creatures book, as that's some of the only material available.

- WB reached out to J.K. Rowling to see if they could get the rights to do it.

- JKR happened to have a bit of background information about the character and came up with a story that intrigued her.

- As she said herself she pitched her idea to WB who accepted it (they would probably accept any JKR-pitch, because of $$$).

But I agree, I think WB is in it for the money and JKR is in it for the story.