Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

The books have had a huge literary significance!

How so? I mean, sure, a lot of kids and adults loved reading them, they're a fun, easy read, they were a big commercial success, etc... But huge literary significance? As in a major milestone in litterature history? The only thing the success of HP led to was a shitload of ersatz (Percy Jackson, etc.), really.

As for the writing style, Rowling's isn't really remarkable.

This.

Not to start a fight or anything, but the main reason why I just couldn't continue with LOTR was because of Tolkien's incredibly clumsy and archaic writing style. Half of his dialogues just seem so terribly... artificial to me, and let's not get into all the stupid songs. I still need to read Martin, but I found parts of Rowling's books very well-written. Philosopher's Stone could have been better, but then again it was her first boook.

Not to start a fight or anything, but the main reason why I just couldn't continue with LOTR was because of Tolkien's incredibly clumsy and archaic writing style. Half of his dialogues just seem so terribly... artificial to me, and let's not get into all the stupid songs. I still need to read Martin, but I found parts of Rowling's books very well-written. Philosopher's Stone could have been better, but then again it was her first boook.

You are my friend.

Tolkien's works are undeniably bloated, boring piles of crap. Martin isn't much more readable, but I gave up after a few pages anyway.

At least Rowling has humour and a sense of urgency going for her in her works. Well all but HBP where it felt like everyone was chillaxing and smoking dope.

Martin's style isn't an easy one, I'll give you that.

And don't get me wrong: i'm not saying Rowling's writing style is bad or anything. Just that it isn't particularly noteworthy. It's simple but effective, not much more than that.

Her writing has become more nuanced with each book she does. Compare Philosopher's Stone to Cuckoo's Calling in terms of writing style and structure. It's a huge difference.

Actually back in the PS/Cos/PoA days, she knew the meaning of brevity. The books were stronger for their leaner narratives.

More movies could benefit from leaner narratives too.

Although highly derivative, it's a charming story, magically told. I found Rowling's writing style in the first book colourful and refreshing.

Not sure how any Potter fan could say they hate the book that started it all. It's like a Star Wars fan saying they hate the 1977 film because it wasn't as "complex" as the later films.

It might have to do with me growing up, I don't know... My points of view have changed a lot over the years. For instance, I love Hermione and Snape but really don't like Harry anymore. It's really interesting to see how your opinions can change when you start reading forums, critics etc.

The books have had a huge literary significance!

How so? I mean, sure, a lot of kids and adults loved reading them, they're a fun, easy read, they were a big commercial success, etc... But huge literary significance? As in a major milestone in litterature history? The only thing the success of HP led to was a shitload of ersatz (Percy Jackson, etc.), really.

As for the writing style, Rowling's isn't really remarkable.

This.

Indeed. I read and liked the last one, but it's all nothing more than the usual fantasy tropes regurgitated and polished up. And before anyone praises the characters and relationships, you can do that in any genre. It's worth nothing if your context is crap and founded on flimsy imitations.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...