Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Extended cut being released.

Interesting. On the one hand, I liked that Yates tried to keep the film brisk and lean, but on the other, maybe a more leisurely-paced version will have smoothened out some of the screenplay issues. The edit is, after all, the final script rewrite, in effect.

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Interesting. On the one hand, I liked that Yates tried to keep the film brisk and lean, but on the other, maybe a more leisurely-paced version will have smoothened out some of the screenplay issues. The edit is, after all, the final script rewrite, in effect.

If you want to see how a HPU film is kept "brisk and clean", Chen, just watch PRISONER OF AZKABAN. 

Even OOP (the shortest film of the lot) trots along at a fair old pace.

We'll just have to see if the extended cut really contains any substantial material left out, and perhaps that might mean more music too that JNH wrote that was cut along with the film.

There should be more Leta based on some of the stuff that we heard about before the film that was cut out and it looks like there’s a newspaper montage like the first film 

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Most seem disposable except Credence Reborn.

Dumbledore and McGonagle is supposed to be a nice scene. 

It is possible that these are additional deleted scenes and the extended cut contains some or none of these.

• 1 month later...

Finally saw this last night. My overall thoughts are exactly the same as the last film: there's a ripping novel in here somewhere, but not a good film. It's obvious that Rowling is too creative for her own good and the script is far too jam-packed with ideas to form a cohesive narrative. I expect the first draft actually made sense but was likely unfilmable due to its length. While I respect Rowling's ambitions to write these screenplays herself, I don't think she's quite there yet.

Liked:

- Newt, I see why people don't like him but he's an unusual protagonist and Redmayne is very charming in the role. He's basically playing The Doctor, but I'm a fan of Who so whatever.

- Grindelwald - despite not really liking Depp much at all he was pretty good in this and his motives are a bit clearer now

- Dumbledore - LOVE Jude Law playing him, and here's hoping the next film has him front and centre

Hated:

- Nicholas Flamel did not belong in this film. Aged makeup is always unconvincing and awful and his was no exception. He seemed only to exist for the references.

- Gratuitous references in general. Hedwig's Theme over the Hogwarts reveal was way too much, JNH's original cue is much better.

- Plot-holes everywhere. I feel like that nasty Auror who killed the half-elf lady just disappeared halfway through the film. Also, who even was he??

Neutral:

- Leta's storyline is almost great, but is missing a lot. Same with Creedence's, I think he was under-utilised and I'm not too enthusiastic about his revealed identity

- Queenie's motivations needed to be way clearer. I like the idea of the division of the magical society being more grey than the obvious Pure-blood/everyone else angle of the mainline Potter series, but we needed more time with her and Jacob to hit this one home

- The score was great but mixed way too low in most of the film

All in all, this didn't need to exist and it was far too confusing even for a die-hard Potterhead like myself. Here's hoping for a more cohesive story next time.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/entertainment/jk-rowling-dumbledore-grindelwald/index.html

Rowling facing backlash after fraudulently using retroactive LGBTQ+ appropriation to score liberal 'woke' points and stealing credit without affecting any change whatsoever when it counts.

Jesus, not this crap again. She can add whatever she wants, they're her characters.

Also a common misconception is that she came out with Dumbledore's sexuality unprompted. At a book signing she was asked a direct question about his love life (well over a decade ago by the way) and answered it. It was not retroactive; it's additional information. Just like how we learned that McGonagall was widowed - it wasn't told in the books because it wasn't relevant at the time. Now we're hearing more about it because she's writing about Dumbledore and Grindelwald in the new films.

People are acting as if she's spraying out bullshit left right and centre for attention, but every time this info comes out of her it's because she's been asked a question by a fan or interviewer. "Nobody asked for this" my ass.

If it's not in her book or her screenplay, it's bullshit.

It's like Mel Gibson receiving praise after the release of Expendables 3 for saying how his character had saved oppressed people from persecution in his youth or fought in the civil Rights movement.

Should Gibson get praise for such claims?

Opportunism has to be called out wherever it comes from.

She’s not asking for praise, what makes you think she is?

I guarantee nobody would give a shit about any of this if Dumbledore was straight, it’s all being completely blown out of proportion as usual by both sides of the political spectrum.

Eh, I think her saying she actually always thought of Hermione as a woman of colour or something instead of saying "it's just a play, people, we found the best actress for the part" is tbe worst she's done. Beside signing off on the Cursed Child script.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/entertainment/jk-rowling-dumbledore-grindelwald/index.html

Rowling facing backlash after fraudulently using retroactive LGBTQ+ appropriation to score liberal 'woke' points and stealing credit without affecting any change whatsoever when it counts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/dumbledore-gay-why-j-k-rowling-s-continual-character-revisionism-ncna986726

An interesting article that takes Rowling to task for committing social justice fraud.

Fags complain too much. 

We as a group need to sometimes get over ourselves

On 3/19/2019 at 1:03 AM, Holko said:

Eh, I think her saying she actually always thought of Hermione as a woman of colour or something instead of saying "it's just a play, people, we found the best actress for the part" is tbe worst she's done. Beside signing off on the Cursed Child script.

I think what she said was that she never technically said in the books that Hermione is a white girl lol, rather than she always thought of her as a POC.

It’s still ridiculous because all the illustrations, the film and video game portrayals etc. which she approved. In fact when it came to Hermione’s image she was more concerned about Emma Watson’s beauty than her race. It shouldn’t be a controversy whether you cast the character as white or black or anything else whether or not it was specified but yeah, she gets in trouble trying to retroactively make a fairly progressive series more woke than it is. She’s just inadvertently exposing what’s not there.

Rowling still getting heat for "queer-baiting". This thing isn't going away and enough gay people have spoken up for this to be a genuine issue that Rowling should personally confront.

http://www.dailycal.org/2019/03/31/queerbaiting-killed-the-author-harry-potter-and-the-social-irresponsibility-of-j-k-rowling/

On 3/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Bilbo said:

I’m not sure anything but a full blown sex scene between the two characters would satisfy the people making these complaints.

Once again little homos overstep their social responsibility. It likely very young ones who have never had any battles or struggles. Who the fuck do they think they are telling her what she should do. They need to stfu.

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic Beasts 3 is now scheduled for November 12, 2021.  After the mixed reception and less-than-stellar box office of the last one, I was hoping against hope that Yates might step aside.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/fantastic-beasts-3-release-date-1203200115/

What are you talkig about? Yates is amazing and the only reason why this movie has been postponed is because it's gonna be a really big and grand entry that needs careful preparation, (said Fogler here: http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/dan-fogler-jessica-williams-briefly-tease-fantastic-beasts-3-delay-filming-status-111859/

Seriously, I don't understand how Yates is still doing these either. Though, to be fair, Yates wasn't the main problem in the last movie.

It was announced as a trilogy in Oct. of 14. In Oct. of 16 it became a quintet.

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Its WB's fault when they insisted 3 become 5.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Have we any evidence that it was a studio idea?

Wasn't it Rowling's?

It was Rowling's decision.

"We always knew it was going to be more than one movie. I've now done the plotting properly so we're pretty sure it's going to be five movies."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/10/13/jk-rowling-announces-five-total-fantastic-beasts-movies/92012480/

The problem is a combination of both Rowling and Yates. Clearly Rowling trusts Yates considering he did the last four Potter films, but those films, to me, were riding on the good stories and scripts behind them making Yates merely a facilitator with a camera. 

What felt strange to me is that the creative teams behind all of Wizarding World films have been the same - same production designer, concept artists, costume designers, prop makers and yet when it came to Order of the Phoenix it all felt so disparate and artificial.

As with Cuaron and Newell, you can keep Rowling's stuff, but frame it in your own style. Not an easy task by any means...

27 minutes ago, Arpy said:

making Yates merely a facilitator with a camera

In a way, that's what all directors are. Their primary job is to decide where to place the camera and when and how to move it.

But its so much more than what you or I make it sound like, and Yates has been doing a bang-up job of it.

I agree, hence why I said it's not an easy task. Despite my bashing of Yates I do like several things he handled in the Potter series.

I guess it would be a question of risking new talent or sticking with Yates who knows the ropes. At this stage I'd have preferred someone new to take the helm at the beginning of Beasts.

Halo effect, says I. You didn't like the film (because the script sucks the big one) and hence the directing - which borders on the pristine - gets tossed into the negativity bin with just about everything else.

Yes, I too would like to see a new director, but its not because Yates doesn't do a good job.

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It wasn't good but disaster is a bit much. It is less than the sum of its parts but there is a lot there to like individually.

Nonsense. This is the Internet. There is no room for nuance. Something is either the best film either or the worst film ever. There are no other options.