Some great news about a possible future JAWS Re-issue!

Jay

Why wouldn't it be?

I never heard of two expanded releases of the Maestro's work coming out in the same month, let lone a mere two weeks apart. This is awesome!!!

You seem to think that John Williams is in some kind of other category from other composers when it comes to specialty labels releasing works. He's not.

This is a business. The labels license what they can from the studios willing to give out licenses, put in the time and money to transfer the elements, edit, mix, and master them, create a new program, get it approved by the composer if necessary, commission liner notes and artwork, get studio approvals, master and press CDs, then take orders.

There's no way to predict how long the process for each different project can take. Some take months, some take half a decade. On one release day, a label coudl release a CD they began working on 6 months ago along with a CD they bought the license for 6 years prior.

The fact that Intrada just issues Jaws 2 last week doesn't mean that they can't issue Jaws 1 next week, or that LLL can't re-issue Home Alone, Varese can't re-issue Dracula, Quartet can't issue The Towering Inferno, etc etc.

Again, its a business where you cannot predict how long things will take. A label isn't going to sit on a finished project they've spend tens of thousands of dollars on before selling it, just because the same composer recently had another title come out. That would be ridiculous, and a quick way to go out of business.

Why wouldn't it be?

I never heard of two expanded releases of the Maestro's work coming out in the same month, let lone a mere two weeks apart. This is awesome!!!

Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ had expanded releases coming out in the same month

2013 saw new editions of Fitzwilly, Heidi, Rosewood, The Fury, and The Missouri Breaks

2010 saw new editions of Poseidon Adventure, Space Camp, Home Alone, Family Plot, Black Sunday, and The Eleventh Hour

2008 saw all three Indiana Jones scores expanded, plus Cinderella Liberty, How To Steal A Million, Bachelor Flat, Superman: The Movie, The Accidental Tourist

etc tec

You seem to think that John Williams is in some kind of other category from other composers when it comes to specialty labels releasing works. He's not.

This is a business. The labels license what they can from the studios willing to give out licenses, put in the time and money to transfer the elements, edit, mix, and master them, create a new program, get it approved by the composer if necessary, commission liner notes and artwork, get studio approvals, master and press CDs, then take orders.

There's no way to predict how long the process for each different project can take. Some take months, some take half a decade. On one release day, a label coudl release a CD they began working on 6 months ago along with a CD they bought the license for 6 years prior.

The fact that Intrada just issues Jaws 2 last week doesn't mean that they can't issue Jaws 1 next week, or that LLL can't re-issue Home Alone, Varese can't re-issue Dracula, Quartet can't issue The Towering Inferno, etc etc.

Again, its a business where you cannot predict how long things will take. A label isn't going to sit on a finished project they've spend tens of thousands of dollars on before selling it, just because the same composer recently had another title come out. That would be ridiculous, and a quick way to go out of business.

I was just commenting on the fact that it is only a mere two weeks apart, which is pretty fast time between two expanded releases of the Maestro's work; I just think that is awesome.

2013 saw new editions of Fitzwilly, Heidi, Rosewood, The Fury, and The Missouri Breaks

2010 saw new editions of Poseidon Adventure, Space Camp, Home Alone, Family Plot, Black Sunday, and The Eleventh Hour

2008 saw all three Indiana Jones scores expanded, plus Cinderella Liberty, How To Steal A Million, Bachelor Flat, Superman: The Movie, The Accidental Tourist

etc tec

Of course. I know that there have been multiple expanded releases of the Maestro's work within the same year. That is a given. I am just surprised and happy at the fact that it is only two weeks between expanded releases to his scores to Jaws and Jaws 2. It's awesome.

I am low on money. Dang. I still want to get Back to the Future 2 and 3 and Jaws 2. But I think Jaws will have to be bought first. Too long have I wanted a better sounding version of that expanded Decca release. And I also love the original album, which I actually listen to more overall. And to have the source music, too? Bring on that harmonica number! This set sounds perfect.

If Intrada does Jurassic Park before the year ends, too, I think I might die.

I REALLY REALLY hope that the success of BTTF 1-3, Jaws 2, and presumably Jaws will make Universal more willing to license other Williams properties to Intrada or another specialty label!

Williams has a lot of scores at Universal that desperately need expansion... see here!:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24564

E.T. definitely needs the complete score + remastered original LP treatment. It's unforgivable at this point! 3 CD set!

Still needs an expanded release, though!

It may not be Universal but it will most certainly be universally desired!

E.T. definitely needs the complete score + remastered original LP treatment. It's unforgivable at this point! 3 CD set!

It would all easily fit on two discs.

Looks like its finally coming!

Roger says:

Composer Al Capps is sorely underrepresented on CD. His score to CANNONBALL RUN is inconic. Two years later, in 1983, he scored this vehicle, also starring Loni Anderson but with no score on the album this time. It was a fowl situation, but one we at Intrada are not addressing at this time. Just thought I'd get that out there in case people were wondering.

Rather this Tuesday, 1 of 4 makes its appearance in a stunning little 2-CD package, featuring a reissue of the of the original MCA album on one disc, with an added selection of source cues from the film. The second disc is remixed and restored from the original 3-track session masters allowing the film tracks to deliver a thrilling punch unlike anything you've heard from this score before, including a bit of unreleased material and alternates.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6888

Great news! :) I'll be getting that next week. How long does it typically take Intrada to ship something after you order it?

That's very poetic. Bravo, nightscape94!

When it comes to the inevitable greatness of TFA score and the request for its immediate representation in full unabridged glory, only the best, most intelligent, non-contrived, clever comments will do. Anything less, then what are we all doing here.

Well it has been an incredible year with Williams A.I. 3CD set and the last quarter is something of a miracle which such spectacular releases forging at this point. With Intrada rolling the ball over the entire JAWS Quadrilogy. Having 'A category' John Williams titles being released back to back is unprecedented by Intrada. And of course, we have Episode VII coming next month too! .But if La La Land Records or another label manages to up the level by releasing yet another giant Williams title then it would culminate in a painful but delightful orgasmic delight across the realm of soundtrackdom. :D

This news is just fantastic. Oddly, a lot of people have been questioning why this needs to be re-released. WTF??? Do they have ears? Both existing editions sound terrible, and this is probably one of the top 3 most important film scores of all time, likely for all time.

Intrada wins 2015.

I am just curious about something. This expanded release of the Maestro's score to Jaws includes source cues. I did not know that John Williams did source cues for the film. Incidentally, where are they in the film, as I don't recall?

I also did not know that there are a few unreleased bits and alternates. I cannot wait!

This year has been really great (the previous years have been great as well). The expanded release of the Maestro's scores to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Jaws 2, and now Jaws. Not to mention Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

I am just curious about something. This expanded release of the Maestro's score to Jaws includes source cues. I did not know that John Williams did source cues for the film. Incidentally, where are they in the film, as I don't recall?

I also did not know that there are a few unreleased bits and alternates. I cannot wait!

This year has been really great (the previous years have been great as well). The expanded release of the Maestro's scores to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Jaws 2, and now Jaws. Not to mention Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

Wasn't there an Amity municipal band that included Spielberg playing. I recall this from a documentary.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=65806&sid=5ab08a0fb9955853a9225ad2f36b9e83#p65806

So, for this long waited new release, did Intrada use a fresh new transfer of those 35mm reels, or did they just restored the untouched 2000 transfer?

It can be a possibily, right? FSM did something like this for their 2008 Superman box set... they restored a transfer of the 35mm reels made back in 1999 or 2000 for the DVD restoration. I believe it's on the booklet...

Any clue why the source cues weren't a part of the Jaws 2 release, like the Amity High School Band?

"You can have my source cues for Jaws 2 if you like, dear. Or you can have those for Jaws. But you can't have both. Take your pick, angel baby."

It'll be a great couple of months....

12 Nov

Jaws 2 - Remaster (expanded and original LP)

27 Nov

CE3K - Remaster (original LP)

18 Dec

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

8 Jan

Star Wars / The Empire Strikes Back / Return Of The Jedi - Remaster (original LPs)

...and now Jaws.

Wow. Just wow.

2015 was huge with non-Williams releases too. Great year

The deluxe release of Alan Silvestri's score for the Back to the Future trilogy was excellent.

Watch the film again, you'll hear the source music. It's not all written by him, of course.

Hmm. Interesting. Did the Maestro write any source music? Do you know which ones, if any? I'm just curious.