Some great news about a possible future JAWS Re-issue!

Jay

The previously mentioned marching band stuff, with Spielberg on clarinet

Really? With Steven Spielberg playing the clarinet? That is awesome.

I recall Spielberg telling a similar story about the March from 1941, that he joined in the recording to give it a bit of raggedness, but I don't remember hearing the Jaws story, though.

I think my question my have been "lost" in the thread. If I order Jaws Monday or Tuesday, when could I expect to recieve the CDs?

There's no possible way any one could answer that for you - it depends on so. so many factors!

1. If they begin shipping on Tuesday the 17th, or if they put up a notice saying "begins shipping on X date"

2. Furthermore, if it comes with a message saying "begins shipping the week of X", then that's even more options

3. How many orders they can ship in a day. If you are one of the first orders placed, you'd be one of the first orders out. If you are the 1,000th person to order it, it might be a few days until they ship yours

and most importantly

4. Where you live! If you live in San Francisco, you'll get it right away. If you live in Siberia, it could take a while!

Really? With Steven Spielberg playing the clarinet? That is awesome.

Wasn't that 1941?

I recall Spielberg telling a similar story about the March from 1941, that he joined in the recording to give it a bit of raggedness, but I don't remember hearing the Jaws story, though.

Read John Williams himself discussing Spielberg playing clarinet at the Jaws sessions right here:

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2012/081412.html

Absolutely thrilled that this score is getting a proper release! The sound quality is just awful on both releases...and in different ways, too. I'll definitely buy this, and probably Jaws 2 as well. I'm not familiar with that one.

I would argue that the MCA OST sounds better than the Decca release of the film score, which sounds flat and compressed.

The Decca sounds like it's from a third generation mixdown. I sought out the OST to hear the difference and it's much better. Jaws 2 needs no work done. It sounds great on the Varese.

I would argue that the MCA OST sounds better than the Decca release of the film score, which sounds flat and compressed.

The OST is like a notch upgrade to the Decca release and the performances are tighter too. Some Sonics on the Decca release sound very promising even they they were buried in the horrendous reverb and bass. The new set would be a boon for all of us. Cant Wait..

I think I was the first to order it. Awesome!!

I ordered it at the exact minute that the announcement was made and it was available to order.

Shark Tows Orca wasn't on any previous albums. And it's also unused in the film.

Yeah, that is because Decca was sourced from the 2000 film stems mixdowns. Strange album, that was.

Karol

Interesting...

"Great Chase" doesn't have that weird insert at 0:30 that the Decca release has. Wonder if it's elsewhere on the disc, perhaps the alternate version, but it's the same length.

Interesting...

"Great Chase" doesn't have that weird insert at 0:30 that the Decca release has. Wonder if it's elsewhere on the disc, perhaps the alternate version, but it's the same length.

Decca didn't have the correct film take.

Karol

I think the Decca 'Great Chase' had both the revised AND original first part of the cue, strung together.

Looking forward to 'Wild Shark Theme' too! :)

What do you think "Wild Shark Theme" is?

Williams playing the theme at the piano and Spielberg laughing? :lol:

I think the Decca 'Great Chase' had both the revised AND original first part of the cue, strung together.

:)

Yes, it's in the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K1L0dw5fObwOI4z0eDWGGj2RqvG7q22s0ShJDNQYELo/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&output=html