RIP Tom Clancy, 66

Wojo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Spy novelist Tom Clancy dies aged 66. Tom Clancy Tom Clancy was one of the wealthiest authors in the world. Best-selling US author Tom Clancy, known to millions for his Jack Ryan series of novels, has died aged 66, his publisher has confirmed. Clancy wrote a string of best-selling spy and military thrillers. Several of his books featuring CIA analyst Ryan were adapted into successful films, including The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games ~ (Source)

Great writer whos books I used to enjoy up till the mid 90s.

I have to say that I was only familiar with his Jack Ryan and John Clark novels though (the ones read, being - The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, The Sum of all Fears, Debt of Honour, Executive Orders and Without Remorse). Of the film adaptions, great up until The Sum of all Fears (although it had some good scenes in the film) a truly excellent novel but filmakers sold out and changed the characters and plot considerably for the film. Clear and Present danger was also altered quite a lot for making into a film, but still managed to be a great movie. Clancy's books were probably the last fiction / semi fiction books I read.

"TH4RO" is not only a damn good film, it's also an excellent cold-war thriller. Easily the best Jack Ryan film.

Each to their own. Red October is an impressive polished major film, but for Ryan if I had to choose I would proably go for Patriot Games.

Patriot Games is a low key film in comparison to Red October, but to me its subject matter leant for a more thoughtfull film.

Clear and Present Danger, I have now over watched (big mistake, as with soundtrack listening). The Sum of All Fears can be slightly forgiven for its massive deviation from the novel, by how much more suitable Liev Schreiber was in the role of John Clark, than Willem Dafoe.

The Patriot Games low key???

In comparison to the superpower VS superpower arena of Red October.

I love what Khachaturian did with the score in this scene.

If it's good enough for David Bowman, Frank Poole, Ellen Ripley and Jack Ryan then it's good enough for me :)