Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

Koray, we are supposed to use spoiler tags.

Did you not see the giant spoilers ahead at the start of my post?

I want to say to folks who haven't seen it: keep your expectations in check. It's one of Cuaron's best films, but don't go in there expecting a masterpiece. Go see it to experience it.

This. Too many people raved about it. I went in expecting a lot more than what it actually was. I was appropriately excited before the first few reviews of it here.

So I'm googling the last few tracks of the score to see what they mean, and discovered that there's a companion short film that Jonas Cuaron shot in Greenland.

Aningaaq shows the other side of the conversation Bullock has before the climax.

I hear it's Open Water in space.

The story may be as lightweight as Open Water, but it's nowhere in the same ballpark. Cuaron does a lot more with Gravity, and it's a very immersive and intense film.

When they say it's "Open Water in space", they mean that both films are similar in concept. The space in Gravity is the ocean in Open Water. I can imagine they share the same themes too. But I can also imagine the Gravity is more action-packed and blockbuster-ish.

Alex, I'm not saying Gravity is more profound, but the Open Water comparisons should end there. They're not even in the same ballpark in terms of execution. Just see it.

This. Too many people raved about it. I went in expecting a lot more than what it actually was. I was appropriately excited before the first few reviews of it here.

So I'm googling the last few tracks of the score to see what they mean, and discovered that there's a companion short film that Jonas Cuaron shot in Greenland.

Aningaaq shows the other side of the conversation Bullock has before the climax.

WB should include that as a bonus feature on the Gravity DVD and Blu-ray releases. It'd be a nice companion piece to the film.

When they say it's "Open Water in space", they mean that both films are similar in concept. The space in Gravity is the ocean in Open Water.

However space is not an ocean and Gravity seems to be about making this very clear.

Space has its own rules. We are too brainwashed by things like Star Trek operating ships like sea ships.

Are you planning to view it in the cinema?

Of course not! I'll watch it in glorious HD on my Samsung and without the typical distractions that go with watching movies in the theater.

Gravity is nothing like Open Water and those who think it is are seriously deluded.

Steef, let the mods do the moderating. Koray's post was fine.

6 pages of discussion in 2 days. Gee, it sure was silly of me to start a separate thread :eyeroll:

6 pages of discussion in 2 days. Gee, it sure was silly of me to start a separate thread :eyeroll:

To be fair the first 2-3 pages were about The Lone Ranger :P

You still haven't posted your thoughts!

WB should include that as a bonus feature on the Gravity DVD and Blu-ray releases. It'd be a nice companion piece to the film.

That's what the link says.

Steef, let the mods do the moderating. Koray's post was fine.

If I did that JWFan would have been doomed years ago. Admit it. You need me!

Of course not! I'll watch it in glorious HD on my Samsung and without the typical distractions that go with watching movies in the theater.

How loud and annoying are Belgium people anyway? I've been to the cinema quite a view times this year, and not a single time have I been distracted or annoyed by an audience member.

I mean this film is being hailed as one of the great visual masterpieces and you, the man who's been stating for years that the visual aesthetics of a film is what you find most important aren't even considering getting your ass outside the door and watch this particular film in the way it's director intended it to be seen.

After not seeing Man Of Steel by the man you proclaimed as the next genius director, after admitting your enthusiasm for The Voice...

I'm sorry Alex, you have lost whatever credibility you had with me. You are nothing but a charlatan and a poser.

that's the most idiotic choice you could make.

How loud and annoying are Belgium people anyway? I've been to the cinema quite a view times this year, and not a single time have I been distracted or annoyed by an audience member.

Maybe the audience here is slightly more disrespectful and egocentric? Perhaps we have different tolerance levels? Or maybe it's because you are the distractor? The distractors are seldom distracted, Steef.

I understand now why Morlock could no longer be bothered with this.

The last times I went to the theater I had zero problems. There were only a handful of people there anyway.

Most noise came from people laughing sometimes at gags, which doesn't bother me.

I find it alarming that the praise is unanimous.

Praise regarding the visuals was unanimous about 2001 back in the day. It was the other aspects that a lot of critics didn't "get".

There was nothing else to get.

Saw this yesterday. One of the most intense movies I've ever seen and nearly unbelievable on a technical and visual level. Cuaron must be a wizard of some kind.

After not seeing Man Of Steel by the man you proclaimed as the next genius director, ...

If 300 is Snyder's Alien, Watchmen his Blade Runner and Sucker Punch his Legend, then Man Of Steel is Snyder's Someone To Watch Over Me. Admit it, the logic is infallible!

I think Bullock was perfect to a T, but the movie doesn't demand much from the actors, physical action aside.

I don't think that's entirely true. A lot of the movie's success is dependent on Bullock's performance, particularly in the second half, and there are at least two crucial scenes I can think of that, tonally, walk a very fine line and could have easily tipped into unintentional hilarity if in the wrong actors' hands.

Thinking specifically of the "dog barking" scene and the Clooney hallucination. I found those to be very odd but ultimately effective scenes, and they must have been quite challenging to navigate from a performance perspective.

55 million opening weekend, that is quite good box office wise

I think I posted a link to Deadline's box office post about the film's opening weekend -- and how the WB exec (Dan Fellman) speculated that early October could be a new release window for blockbuster films. And judging by it holding the record for highest opening weekend in October, I think WB will make it their niche spot after March, July and December from here on out.

Gravity is attracting a considerable amount of older viewers, those who respect the rules. The showings at my theater -- I monitored each one during the days I worked (yesterday and Friday), and no one had their cell phone out until after the movie ended.

I'm not saying it'll happen to everyone (like Koray's experience with that idiot couple), but with my experience -- movies that skew older tend to be less problematic in terms of patron behavior.