Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

Guess I'm the only one that loved the score.

What did you like about it?

I'll touch upon it some more in my review, but I liked how the music substituted the sound effects. I don't like describing contemporary music as sound design as most people do, but here it truly was the case. The music would reflect the sounds that the destruction would be making if we could actually hear it. I understand this sort of defeats the purpose of making the film silent, but I thought it was a neat idea.

I would have toned it down a bit though.

What about the finale cue? What purpose did the music Price wrote serve there? Why was it so obnoxious? It should have been triumphant!

I can actually see Koray's point about sound effects: there are were a pair of points in the film were the line between sound effects and score became blurry. I do like in a way some of the debris sound effects cues but I think the other parts could have gone in a different, more fullfilling musical direction and it would have been for the best, particularly by contrast. I barely noticed the cues preceding the ending, but the ending music just felt weird to me. And the scene itself a bit too.

What about the finale cue? What purpose did the music Price wrote serve there? Why was it so obnoxious? It should have been triumphant!

It sounded pretty upbeat to me, but not outwardly triumphant.

At the last scene I was still wondering why the hell was the Chinese station deorbiting.

"We need a last second traumatic reentry... I know, we'll make the whole station suddenly drop out of the sky for no reason!"

I actually liked the score in context and did not mind the finale cue. It all served its purpose well.

And the Chinese station was hit by debris field. It was evacuated upon the the warnings heard from Houston and the ISS.

An interesting calculation I saw on the debris field: if it moved fast enough to repeat encounters every 90 minutes, you wouldn't see things approaching, you would just see the debris explosions around you. If it moved as slow as in the film, it would take much longer than 90 minutes to hit again.

And the Chinese station was hit by debris field. It was evacuated upon the the warnings heard from Houston and the ISS.

But the Shenzou was still there.

Interesting that the ISS was torn to pieces while the Chinese station didn't.

Not inconceivable. If it was at the outer edge of the field and not hit much. Enough to nudge it out of orbit, but not to destroy it.

The debris moving "relatively" slow was obviously done for dramatic reasons.

Loved the fact that after the 90 min countdown, it still took a while for anything to happen. It was an estimate after all.

It sounded pretty upbeat to me, but not outwardly triumphant.

I thought it was very triumphant. I explained that bit in my post about the film.

Applause is a regular occurrence. I welcome it, it shows that films still have the power to ellicit emotions in people.

For us Europeans, applauding after a screening only makes sense when the director, the producer or some of the actors are in the room.

Do you Americans applaud at home too?

Applause is a regular occurrence. I welcome it, it shows that films still have the power to ellicit emotions in people.

For us Europeans, applauding after a screening only makes sense when the director, the producer or some of the actors are in the room.

Do you Americans applaud at home too?

Clapping is an expression of joy, admiration, and/or respect. Do you not laugh at a comedy when you're at home?

I would be on board with Americans subscribing to herd mentality if and only if we followed the rest of the world over the metric cliff. I have never been in a theater where every ticket holder rose to his feet to applaud, and with 316+ million in the country legally, I stopped trying to be in a theater with everyone once. But if you're qualified to speak for the nation from your safe little European bungalow, I must make room for such enlightenment.

I personally wouldn't spend a second longer than I have to herded in a theatre with Europeans. It just dials up the symptoms of lack of hygiene, especially on the continent.

Maybe the Marshall Plan should have included deodorant air drops to reinforce some good habits in our Old World grandparents.

Maybe, but the thing about smelly people is they get used to the smell and no longer recognize themselves or others that they smell bad. How humans bred before the age of soap, I'll never understand.

To be absolutely fair to Europeans, growing up in the Bay area, you'd often run into people who had not seen a bathtub since they were spat out of their mum's vagina into a bath-tub during a home birth.

If you go to the more northern countries you will find everything smells fresh. Not like our southern kin, with their olive oil, garlic, goat cheese etc etc...

that stuff can't be healthy for ya.

It is, that's why you pay so much for importing it!