Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

Daring and experimental aren't mutually inclusive, Stefan. I never listen to RC et al for their "daring" work. Again, you added that part yourself.

Do you need to polish up on your English comprehension?

Audible experimentation on the other hand I like to look out for, I find it fascinating and often satisfying.

Lee. Your music related posts have become rather insufferable since you started rubbing your flacid cock all over Zimmer's effective, yet highly forgettable MoS.

I've lost interest in you for tonight.

When I feel in the mood to be entertained further, i'll call for you.

Night!

Lee. Your music related posts have become rather insufferable since you started rubbing your flacid cock all over Zimmer's effective, yet highly forgettable MoS.

I've lost interest in you for tonight.

When I feel in the mood to be entertained further, i'll call for you.

Night!

That, is why you fail.

Until the next time ;)

Just came back from Gravity. The most gripping experience I've had in the cinema in a long while! I'll pull out my full review later.

In the meantime, I did not feel like the score was intrusive at all. Would I listen to it casually? No. But I thought it was quite effective in context, both the sound design and the more RC-style anthem stuff.

Easily my favourite film of the year so far.

Cuaron is a genius. His level of craftsmanship really shows in films like Gravity and Children of Men.

Excellent movie. The 3D is effective and very immersive (especially for a conversion), and Cuaron never forgets the human element within the backdrop of vast space. Even though Steven Price's score is very MV in style, it perfectly accentuates the drama and mood of the action.

I think the movie is a lock for Best Visual Effects and Best Cinematography. It's even more impressive considering the film cost around $80 million - $120 million to make, and it looks twice that. Cuaron could show some other directors a thing or two about fiscal responsibility and overall story brevity. At 91 minutes, it is perfectly paced.

And regardless what you think of Argo, WB was smart to push Gravity to that same spot this year. Not only is the same kind of crowd (folks over 50 years and older) seeking it out, but also younger audiences. This will make as much as the former, if not more due to the 3D and IMAX surcharges.

Children of Men is a fantastic movie! I think it was my #1 of whatever year it came out

I like Children of Men, but I prefer Gravity and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban over it.

Hmmm, I'd have to see Children of Men again before I could decide if I liked it or Gravity more. Both were amazing cinematic experiences!

HP3 and Y Tu Mama Tambien are easily well after those.

I think I would rate HP3 higher if I could enjoy it as a standalone film. Instead I just get frustrated with how much they left out of the book every time I watch it.

I don't get the fuss over Y Tu Mama Tambien, honestly. It's just... a more nuanced road trip film. I can see why people like it, but it doesn't really hint at the promise Cuaron shows in his other films.

Just got back from an IMAX 3D showing; spoilers ahead.

To start, I'm very anti-3D. The last movie I saw in it was Legend Of The Guardians, and I have probably only seen about 3 or 4 films in the format. I was thinking about having seen a live action movie in 3D, and I think Gravity was a first for me. Well, at least live action for the actors. Aside from the glasses being cheap and uncomfortable, the 3D both blew me away and revolted me in its usual way. There were a couple instances, particularly during the beginning, that I felt like I was right next to Sandra Bullock. That extreme close-up of her where you get right up next to her eye. The depth and immersion there honestly shocked me. But then there were the usual issues of ghosting, choppy movement and the general inability to focus on anything. Not to mention the gimmicky debris flying into your face. The cons outweighed the pros, and having to pay $19 for a ticket doesn't make me feel better about the overall experience. Focus issues could have been due to the pseudo-IMAX and my proximity to the screen. I had similar problems with The Dark Knight Rises, where you can see individual pixels.

The film itself is a technical masterpiece, but I could never get into the actual narrative. As most know, I have an unusual distaste for Sandra Bullock. She was tolerable, but she didn't help the film. Clooney was excellent. Anyone else recognize Ed Harris? Editing, cinematography, and sound mixing and editing were tremendous. Loved Cuaron's direction, though I wasn't a huge fan of the first person POV shots. There were some really great shots, like the brief aurora borealis and the overhead view of the debris burning through the atmosphere during the climax. Cameron wasn't lying when he said this was the best space photography he had ever seen. The debris collisions were harrowing. The most interesting aspect of the film was the underlying symbolism and imagery. It was very subtle, to a point where I'm not sure what message Cuaron was trying to send. Malick he is not, but the allegorical rebirth that slowly developed throughout was what ultimately made the film worthwhile for me. Steven Price's score was pretty great. I dug the theme, or at least what I consider it to be. The echoing sound design-ish synth noise heard in "Debris" on the soundtrack. Perhaps just a motif for the debris itself, impending doom, whatever it was for I liked it. I have read here that people didn't like the overzealous climax music. I thought it fit perfectly in line with the symbolic rebirth. When Bullock takes that first step on the shore and it just booms in like it was the dawn of our species; great stuff.

Oh and my trips to the local cinema are becoming few and far in between these days, and every time I do manage to go I'm constantly reminded why I don't enjoy it anymore. The couple sitting a seat away from me wouldn't shut the fuck up. It was all the husband. Point at things on the screen, whispering throughout. At one point he stretched his legs so far out he almost touched mine. When Clooney returns in hallucination and takes off his helmet he exclaims, "It's Clooney!" When the frog swims by during the underwater shot he exclaims "What the fuck?" and then giggles. You're a grown man, shut your fucking mouth and keep your legs closed.

Maybe I should check out Childen Of Men, despite Koray loving it...

Don't do it ... I mean, it has Clive Owen as the male lead ... no good has ever come from that! It also has a terrible script (as if it's the first writing attempt of someone with not so much talent for the art) and the movie doesn't have any kind of forward momentum. Its 'swollen' ending scene will make you throw foam bricks at your TV screen.

I enjoy Children of Men for its realistic bleak outlook and absolutely incredible one shot action sequence, but I wouldn't say it's an especially brilliant movie. Well worth a watch, but I think some got a bit carried away on it at the time when they hailed it as a masterpiece.

You must have seen another movie then.

In a way, I did, certainly when we look at popular opinion.

BTW, my personal negative opinion about COM doesn't mean Gravity can't be good. I mean, David Fincher made Alien3 before he made Se7en.

Time will tell if it's a masterpiece, but I found Children of Men to be great. Quint's assessment is reasonable, as far as personal preferences go but to just completely dismiss it like Alex does? Was there really nothing in it that you found worthwhile? I find that very hard to believe. You may argue that the whole doesn't quite work, but you have to admit that there are multiple facets of the film that are impressive.

I did ask myself that question, and no, there's nothing in the film that appeals to me. I guess to me the writing and the tone of the storytelling were off from the start.

Alex

Anyway at its core Gravity is an exceedingly simple and lean thriller set in space, with a dose of human spirit. The entire film is made up of setpieces, and there's nothing that suggests the ambition of, say, 2001: ASO. It's a superbly tense and technically marvelous thriller. That's it.

I do think the praise being heaped on it at the moment is a bit much though, as good as it is. I'm also doubtful that movies in the near future will try to mimic the camerawork here.

I'm more inclined to be hopeful for Gravity off the back of Azakaban than I am of CoM anyway. The one great Potter movie.

I prefer Azkaban to Children of Men too, personally, along with A Little Princess and now Gravity, which I think is pretty handily Cuaron's best.

Well the film was the journey of Owen's character. There was nothing left to be inferred beyond that point...

I dunno, that film just enveloped me. And I'm not a big fan of Owen too - he's always cold and aloof (in an arrogant sort of manner), but I rooted for him in the end despite that.

I feel the same way about Owen, always have. His career afterwards would indicate that others agree. I appreciate that the ending was designed to be open, to finish on a question, be feel unresolved and grim, but there was an unsatisfying abruptness to it. I feel like they could have spent a little more time in that world, built the journey more substantially; because as it is it lacks pathos. It just ceases to be.

Anyway at its core Gravity is an exceedingly simple and lean thriller set in space, with a dose of human spirit. The entire film is made up of setpieces, and there's nothing that suggests the ambition of, say, 2001: ASO. It's a superbly tense and technically marvelous thriller. That's it.

I do think the praise being heaped on it at the moment is a bit much though, as good as it is. I'm also doubtful that movies in the near future will try to mimic the camerawork here.

That about sums it up and i liked it especially for its lack of 'ambition' to be about more meaningful things...which are always the same trite issues, anyway (though the whole child issue could have been scrapped, since Cuaron handles it like someone who has to clean up dog poo; it must be done but it's still a shitty affair).

That so few find the banal RCP-scoring of the finale insulting is a testament that i'm officially too old for current cinema now.

I generally dislike her as well but I have to admit she was very believable here.

Clooney was just being Clooney, but that was perfect here too, in counterbalance to Bullock's frayed nerves.

I think Bullock was perfect to a T, but the movie doesn't demand much from the actors, physical action aside. Though i disagree with Mr. Cosman here, the movie isn't really more than a technical masterpiece (the scenes with the actors are necessary evils but never go beyond the expected basic human feelings applied to any given situation) - though how it creates a magical sense of floating in outer space is more than enough to recommend it wholeheartedly.

I think Clooney is almost as important as Bullock too. He's the one who holds the first half together, and he has that one pivotal scene too. And I'm glad we didn't get the serious Clooney here - I much prefer the Clooney that clowns around, the serious dramatic Clooney just rubs me the wrong way (he's a faker in that sort of role).

Anyway it's funny that his clowning around in the beginning with his jet pack indirectly led to his death. He would have had enough fuel if it wasn't for all that fun in the beginning.

I hear it's Open Water in space.

The story may be as lightweight as Open Water, but it's nowhere in the same ballpark. Cuaron does a lot more with Gravity, and it's a very immersive and intense film. You could wait for it to hit DVD and Blu-ray, but it'll lose a lot on your TV. It's the kind of film that needs to be experienced on a large screen in digital 3D.

I want to say to folks who haven't seen it: keep your expectations in check. It's one of Cuaron's best films, but don't go in there expecting a masterpiece. Go see it to experience it.