A Guide to the JW & Boston Pops Discography

Bespin

• 1 month later...

I was listening the "Joy To The World" BPO album for the second time this week-end and I'm categoric : this album enerves me.

It doesn't offer a good listening experience, at least not the experience I'm searching when listening to a christmas album!

So apart from the 3 pieces from Home Alone, it's definitively not an essential.

I have to say that in Quebec, we have an heritage of a lot of French cantiques.

By example, I have no chilhood memories related to a story like 'Twas the night before Christmas' or other old english carols.

But that's mainly the presence of some marches on this albums that gived me the impression that the whole ensemble was not very coherent.

I bought a BPO/ John Williams cd that I can't seem to find listed anywhere on this list, entitled "Music for America". Not the 3 CD set entitled "Music OF America", this is a cd from 1996, released by Polygram. It has the exact same cover painting as "Salute to America", but a different track listing. I found a cassette version of it online, but no mention of the cd. Here is the cover from the

cassette. I guess it doesn't have anything previously unreleased on it, but found no mention of it anywhere online.

$%28KGrHqZ,%21igE7EOE6GmkBO6khLYC3g~~60_

@BobaMike

Seems to be the Cassette version of the CD "Salute To America" (Polygram, 1996). With more titles effectively.

Too bad, we don't have any interrest of doing the Cassettography of JW :)

• 1 year later...

51DPuFF4yJL._SS280.jpg

In this holiday season, I am rediscovering this album, which is very pleasant.

I would say that it's perhaps the most interesting BPO album among those which are not specifically dedicated to film music.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooops, just added the two Jessye Norman entries to the list!

Jessye Norman: With a Song in My Heart
The Jessye Norman Collection (Compilation)

Jessye Norman: Lucky to Be Me is not a Boston Pops Album.

The only musician on this album is John Williams on the piano.

You are right, many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Possibly the first (and only?) soundtrack recording of the BPO.

"Members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra" performed on SCHINDLER'S LIST and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. The Boston Pops is comprised of "members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra," so... Does that count?

• 6 months later...

In 2014, Decca selectionned ten (10) Boston Pops original albums for digital download release.

Great top 10, isn't it?

1981 Boston Pops: We Wish You A Merry Christmas
1982 Boston Pops: Aisle Seat – Great Film Music
1983 Boston Pops: Out of this World
1984 Boston Pops: Peter and the Wolf/Nutcracker Suite
1985 Boston Pops: America, The Dream Goes On
1986 Boston Pops: Bernstein by Boston
1986 Boston Pops: Pops in Love
1986 Boston Pops: Holst – The Planets
1989 Boston Pops: Pops Britannia
1990 Boston Pops: Pops a la Russe

• 1 month later...

Here's a little visual recap of all the Boston Pops compilations containing John Williams's recordings.

Beside "By request... ", do you have any favorites?

p_4201781.jpg

By Request... The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops Orchestra / Williams, Boston Pops O (1987, Philips, 420 178-1, Compilation)

Olympic Fanfare And Theme*; The Cowboys Overture; Excerpts From Close Encounters Of The Third Kind; March From Midway; Flying Theme From "E.T."; Luke And Leia Theme From Return Of The Jedi; March From Superman; Liberty Fanfare*; March From Raiders Of The Lost Ark; Yoda's Theme From The Empire Strikes Back; March From "1941"*; Theme From Jaws*; Imperial March From The Empire Strikes Back; Mission Theme (Theme For NBC News)*; Main Theme From Star Wars. *Previously unreleased.

(Released in 1987, Philips, 420 178-2)

p_4320502.jpg

Star Wars - The Best Of Space Music / Williams, Boston Pops O (1990, Philips Classics, 432 050-2, Compilation)

Star Wars - Main Theme; Star Wars - Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back - The Asteroid Field; The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme; The Empire Strikes Back - The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi - Parade Of The Ewoks; Return Of The Jedi - Luke & Leia; Return Of The Jedi - Jabba The Hutt; Return Of The Jedi - The Forest Battle; Superman - March; Superman - Love Theme; E.T. - Adventures On Earth; E.T. - The Flying Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite.

(Reissued for digital download in 2014, Decca)

p_4328022.jpg

The Very Best Of The Boston Pops / Williams, Boston Pops O (1991, Philips, 432 802-2, Compilation)

Star Trek - The Television Show; Selections From Girl Crazy; New York, New York; A Salute To Fred Astaire; Overture To A Chorus Line; Sophisticated Ladies; Love Theme From Superman; Pops Salutes The Oscars; Richard Rogers Waltzes.

p_438068.jpg

Kids Stuff – An Afternoon at the Movies / Williams, Boston Pops O (1992, PolyGram, Compilation)

E.T. - Flying Theme; Superman - March; Star Wars - Main Theme; Raiders of the Lost Ark - March; The Empire Strikes Back - The Asteroid Field; The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme; The Empire Strikes Back - The Imperial March; Jaws - Main Theme; The Pink Panther - Main Theme; The Wizard of Oz - Over the Rainbow; E.T. - Adventures on Earth; Return Of The Jedi - Parade Of The Ewoks; Return of the Jedi - Jabba the Hutt; Return Of The Jedi - The Forest Battle.

p_438070.jpg

Over the Rainbow: Songs from the Movies / Williams, Boston Pops O (1992, Philips, 438070, Compilation)

Selections from "West Side Story"; Selections from "Fiddler on the Roof"; That's Entertainment!; Singin' in the Rain; There's No Business Like Show Business; Selections from "Gigi"; The Trolley Song; New York, New York; Pops Salutes the Oscars; A Tribute to Judy Garland.

p_446520.jpg

Pops Stoppers: Greatest Hits Of The Boston Pops Orchestra / Williams, Boston Pops O (1995, Philips, 446520, Compilation)

E.T. - Flying Theme; Raiders Of The Lost Ark - March; Star Trek, The Motion Picture - Main Title; Main Theme (From "New York, New York"); Strike Up The Band; There's No Business Like Showbusiness; Tijuana Taxi; Moonlight Serenade; Begin The Beguine; In The Mood; Stompin' At The Savoy; Opus One; St. Louis Blues March; Sophisticated Ladies; When The Saints Go Marchin' In.

p_103526.jpg

Space-Taculars / Williams, Boston Pops O (1995, Philips Classics/PolyGram Records, D 103526, Compilation, Club Edition)

Star Wars - Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back - The Asteroid Field; The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme; The Empire Strikes Back - The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi - Parade Of The Ewoks; Return Of The Jedi - Luke and Leia; Return Of The Jedi - Jabba The Hutt; Return Of The Jedi - The Forest Battle; E.T. - The Flying Theme; E.T. - Adventures On Earth; Alien - Closing Title; Star Trek, The Motion Picture - Main Title; Star Trek, The Television Show - Main Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; 2001, A Space Odyssey - Thus Spake Zarathustra.

p_5501062.jpg

Space and Time / Williams, Boston Pops O (1995, Karussell International/Spectrum Music, 550106-2, Compilation)

2001, A Space Oddysey; Superman - March; Star Trek, The Motion Picture - Main Title; Twilight Zone - Theme And Variations; Alien - Closing Titles; Star Wars - Main Theme; The Empire Strikes Back - Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi - Luke And Leia; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; E.T. - The Flying Theme.

p_polygram_1996.jpg

Salute Gene Kelly, Fred Astair, Judy Garland / Williams, Boston Pops O (1996, PolyGram, Compilation)

Singin' In The Rain; A Tribute To Judy Garland; The Trolley Song`Over The Rainbow; A Salute To Fred Astaire; Times Square - 1944; I Got Rhythm / Embraceable You; Be A Clown; Slaughter On 10th Avenue; An American In Paris.

p_polygram_1996_2.jpg

Salute To America / Williams, Boston Pops O (1996, Polygram, Compilation)

Candide (Overture); New York, New York (America Medley); Lonely Town (America Medley); America (America Medley); Battle Hymn of the Republic; American Salute; America the Beautiful; This Land is Your Land; 76 Trombones; St. Louis Blues March; Strike Up the Band; When the Saints go Marchin' In.

p_a28701.jpg

From Sousa to Spielberg / Williams, Boston Pops O (1998, Sony Music Distribution, A 28701, Compilation)

Washington Post March; One O'Clock Jump; Love Changes Everything; Remembrances [From Schindler's List]; It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing); Flying [From E.t. the Extra Terrestrial]; Cherokee; Star Wars (Main Theme); Send in the Clowns; Stars and Stripes Forever.

p_i21179.jpg

The Very Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops / Williams, Boston Pops O (1998, Reader's Digest, I-21-179, Compilation)

CD 1 - AMERICA, THE DREAM GOES ON: Liberty Fanfare; America The Beautiful; This Land Is Your Land; Richard Rodgers' Waltzes (Lover / Falling In Love With Love / Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin' / It's A Grand Night For Singing); March From Superman; Fanfare For The Common Man; America, The Dream Goes On; Hoedown From Rodeo; Seventy-Six Trombones; THE POPS PLAY A MOVIE SPECTACULAR: Theme From A Summer Place; Singin' In The Rain; Over The Rainbow; The Trolley Song; Somewhere Out There; March From Raiders of the Lost Ark; A Salute To Fred Astaire (Top Hat, White Tie And Tails / The Carioca / Dancing In The Dark / I Won't Dance / The Continental); Theme From 2001, A Space Odyssey (Also Sprach Zarathustra); Theme From New York, New York; CD 2 - QUIET NIGHT... WITH THE POPS: Fantasia on "Greensleeves"; Theme from Out Of Africa; Clair de Lune; Adagio For Strings And Organ; STARLIGHT SWING... WITH THE POPS: Sleepy Lagoon; A String Of Pearls; Begin The Beguine; Song Of India; Sing, Sing, Sing; THE POPS ON BROADWAY: Sophisticated Ladies - A Tribute to Duke Ellington (Sophisticated Lady / Take the "A" Train / Mood Indigo / It Don't Mean a Thing [If It Ain't Got That Swing]); Memory; There's No Business Like Show Business; Slaughter On Tenth Avenue; Overture To A Chorus Line; CD 3 - THE POPS SALUTE ALL-TIME POPULAR FAVORITES: Ebb Tide; More; Here You Come Again; Unchained Melody; The Girl from Ipanema; Theme from Summer of '(The Summer Knows; Friendly Persuasion (Thee I Love); Where Is Your Heart? (The Song from Moulin Rouge); Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing; THE POPS AROUND THE WORLD: Never On Sunday; La Bamba; Irish Tune From Country Derry (Danny Boy); American Medley (New York, New York / Lonely Town / America); Tuxedo Junction; Fiddler on the Roof Medley (If I Were a Rich Man / To Life / Miracle of Miracles / Sunrise, Sunset / Matchmaker, Matchmaker / Tradition); Ciribiribin; CD 4 - POPS... GO THE CLASSICS: Rhapsody In Blue; Pavane; Orb And Sceptre (Coronation March); The Swan; A POPS TRIBUTE TO GERSHWIN: An American In Paris; MARCHING WITH THE POPS: St. Louis Blues March; Under The Double Eagle; American Salute (When Johnny Comes Marching Home); Strike Up The Band.

p_2894320502.jpg

John Williams Conducts Music from the Star Wars Saga / Williams, Boston Pops O (1999, Philips, 289 432 050-2, Compilation)

Star Wars: Main Theme; Star Wars: Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Astroid Field; The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda's Theme; The Empire Strikes Back: The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks; Return Of The Jedi: Luke & Leia; Return Of The Jedi: Jabba The Hutt; Return Of The Jedi: The Forest Battle; Superman: March; Superman: Love Theme; E.T.: Adventures On Earth; E.T.: The Flying Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind: Suite.

p_468156.jpg

American Classics / Williams, Boston Pops O (2001, Philips Classical, 468156, Compilation)

Overture Candide; West Side Story - Selection; Main Theme (From "New York, New York"; Tara's Theme (From "Gone With The Wind"); Love Theme (From "A Summer Place"); On the Town: Three Dance Episodes - 1. The Great Lover; 2. Lonely Town, Pas de deux; 3. Times Square; Fanfare For The Common Man; Night Waltz ... Send In The Clowns; America, The Dream Goes On; America Medley; From Wonderful Town: Selection; Main Theme (From "The Pink Panther"); 8 Divertimentos for Orchestra: 1. Sennets and Tuckets; 2. Waltz; 4. Samba; 5. Turkey Trot; 8. March: "The BSO Forever".

p_000260602.jpg

Encore! / Williams, Boston Pops O (2004, Philips, 000260602, Compilation)

CD 1: Star Wars: Main Theme; Star Wars: Princess Leia's Theme; E T: Flying Theme; Superman: March; Superman: Love Theme; Raiders of the Lost Ark: March; Chariots of Fire: Theme; Gone With the Wind: Tara's Theme; Summer Place: Theme, A; Pink Panther: Theme; Never on Sunday: Never on Sunday; Meet Me in St. Louis: The Trolley Song; Singin' in the Rain: Main Theme; Pops Salutes the Oscars: Pinocchio: When you wish upon a star / Going My Way: Swingin' On A Star / Breakfast at Tiffany's: Moon River / Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head / The Way We Were / The Shadow Of Your Smile; Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Suite; CD 2: Candide: Overture; New York, New York: New York, New York; MEDLEY: A Little Night Music: Night Waltzes / A Little Night Music: Send in the Clowns; Cats: Memory; Annie Get Your Gun: There's no business like show business; MEDLEY: Gigi: The Night They Invented Champagne / Gigi: Gigi / Gigi: Chez Maxim Waltz / Gigi: I'm so glad I'm not young anymore / Gigi: The Parisians / Gigi: Say a Prayer for Me Tonight / Gigi: Thank Heaven for Little Girls; By the Sleepy Lagoon; Moonlight Serenade; Satin Doll; In the Mood; Sing, Sing Sing; Chorus Line: Overture; Music Man: Seventy-Six Trombones, The; Unchained Melody; MEDLEY: On the Town: New York, New York / On the Town: Lonely town / West Side Story: America.

p_001649302.jpg

(Reissued in 2012 "A Celebration", Decca, 001649302, Compilation)

p_hipo.jpg

20th Century Masters – The Millennium Collection: The Best of John Williams & The Boston Pops (2006, Hip-O, B000603302, Compilation)

Main Title From "Star Wars"; Princess Leia's Theme; March From "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"; March From "Superman"; Superman: Love Theme; Theme From "Jaws"; March From "1941"; March From "Midway"; Adventures On Earth From "E.T."; Flying Theme From "E.T."; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite.

p_4383.jpg

John Williams - The Best Selection / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4824032, Compilation)

Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; Yoda's Theme; The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks; Luke & Leia Theme; Jabba The Hutt; The Forest Battle; Superman: March; Love Theme; Jaws: Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; Raiders Of The Lost Ark: March; Olympic Fanfare And Theme; E.T.: Flying Theme; Adventures On Earth.

p_4789244.jpg

John Williams Conducts Music From Star Wars / Williams, Boston Pops O (2015, Decca, 4789244, Compilation)

CD 1: Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; The Imperial March; Yoda's Theme; Return of the Jedi: Jabba the Hutt; Luke and Leia Theme; Parade of the Ewoks; The Forest Battle; Close Encounters of the Third Kind Suite; E.T.: Adventures on Earth; Flying Theme; CD 2: 2001, A Space Odyssey (R. Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra Introduction); Alien: Closing Title; Battlestar Galactica: Main Title; Star Trek (Motion Picture): Main Title; Star Trek (TV Show): Main Theme; Twilight Zone: Theme and Variations; Holst - The Planets: Mars; Venus; Mercury; Jupiter; Saturn; Uranus; Neptune.

With Various Artists

p_438002.jpg

Great Concert Halls of the World: Symphony Hall, Boston (1993, Philips, 438 002, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Fanfare for the Common Man; West Side Story: Selection; A String of Pearls.

p_4543912.jpg

America The Beautiful / Williams, Fiedler, Boston Pops O (1996, Philips, 454 391-2, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Fanfare For The Common Man, American Salute, America, The Beautiful.

p_4547362.jpg

Wish Upon A Star / Williams, Fiedler, Boston Pops O (1996, Philips, 454 736-2, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: The Flying Theme (E.T.), We're Off To See The Wizard, When You Wish Upon A Star, etc.

p_4560792.jpg

Romance Classics / Williams, Fiedler, Boston Pops O (1996, Philips, 456 079-2, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Superman - Love Theme, etc.

In Japan only

p_srcr2722.jpg

John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra: A Collection / Williams, Boston Pops O (2001, Sony, SRCR-2722, Compilation)

Gotta Dance - A Tribute to Jerome Robbins; Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; Imagination; I Love A Parade; Strike Up the Band; It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing); The Shadow of Your Smile (Love Theme from "The Sandpiper"); Sophisticated Lady; Andrew Lloyd Webber Trilogy; Make our Garden Grow rom Candide; Suite from Born on the Fourth of July; Schindler's List - Theme; Bugler's Dream (Introduced during the 1968 Olympic Games, Grenoble); Olympic Fanfare and Theme (Written for the 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles).

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

A query: Is the album I  LOVE A PARADE features a new recording of the MIDWAY March? ( A previous version of this is on the 'By Request' compilation set)

I'am interesting in purchasing this compilation because of the new recording of Sousa's Stars and Stripes march that Williams conducted himself and not the old Fiedler recording.

PS. Here is a scan I found off ebay of the backside album. The info in the end, seems to suggest the entire album was recorded in 1991 around the time of Williams Spielberg collaboration cd. 

s-ilove a parade2.jpg

@azahid The Midway march has been recorded firstly in 1980 for the album "Pops on the March", it's this version we found on "By Request" (1987).

Then, Williams, re-recorded it for the album "I Love a Parade" in 1991.

Please consult my discography here for more details: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

___

I have done this "Anthology" playlist on Spotify, it only lacks "I Love a Parade" and "Joy to The Word" albums: