Superman's 75th anniversary animated short

TownerFan

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

The short, produced by Warner Bros. Animation, begins with an extreme close-up of that classic car-lifting cover from Action Comics #1, which Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created in 1938, while the familiar build-up to John William’s triumphant theme from the 1978 movie thrums on the soundtrack. The music eventually merges with Hans Zimmer’s theme from this summer’s Man of Steel, with Zimmer scoring and orchestrating the combination himself, using an 80-piece orchestra.

Why don't you just watch it, Quinto?

It's a cute animation, but It would have been funnier to see a segment on how DC robbed Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster of the rights to the character back in the 40's. Now that is an interesting story.

Karol

um..i thought this could sound cool....but did they really hired zimmer and a orchestra for this?

There is no transition between the two themes it's a jarring edit.

And definately the footage works better with williams theme....

um..i thought this could sound cool....but did they really hired zimmer and a orchestra for this?

Zimmer did it, what did you expect? Compositional prowess?

Why don't you just watch it, Quinto?

Oh my bad, I think I just assumed it was a coming soon sort thing. I only read Maurizio's post and didn't click on the link on my phone.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty cool animation! I thought both themes worked as well as each other.

Textbook presentation of the superiority of the Maestro's theme. That cue from Man of Steel is a theme for Epicman, not Superman. In other words, it's absolutely no fun. Imagine if the order of the themes had been reversed. Zimmer's cosmic pounding would sound ridiculous and pompous over the likes of Bizarro and Turtle Man, but Williams' would sound just fine in either place. Alas, that these evil days should be mine...

Nice to see what at least looked like genuine 2D animation in places, though!

I used to like Williams's Superman March, but with the exception of the exquisite love theme, I now find it quite tedious. Dated, overly bombastic, flag waving/chest beating (much like his bludgeoning Call of the Champions) and flashy for the sake of it. I can't deny its mastery of form and craft, but it's a kind of Americana that leaves me cold.

As a matter of fact, with the recent Sound of Cinema season I've quickly grown tired of all of Williams's Sousa-lite marches. Would much rather revisit one of his concertos or some of his more neglected dramatic underscore.

Personally I prefer Zimmer's Man of Steel theme (the lament, that is). Less grating.

I used to like Williams's Superman March, but with the exception of the exquisite love theme, I now find it quite tedious. Dated, overly bombastic, flag waving/chest beating (much like his bludgeoning Call of the Champions) and flashy for the sake of it. I can't deny its mastery of form and craft, but it's a kind of Americana that leaves me cold.

As a matter of fact, with the recent Sound of Cinema season I've quickly grown tired of all of Williams's Sousa-lite marches. Would much rather revisit one of his concertos or some of his more neglected dramatic underscore.

Personally I prefer Zimmer's Man of Steel theme (the lament, that is). Less grating.

And with "less grating" you mean emotionally detached. And isn't that what film music is all about?

You call Williams' theme "dated", "Overly bombastic" and "chest pounding", and yet you prefer Man Of Steel?

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

(Y)

Regardless of the currently unfashionable aesthetic of the Williams March, it still remains possibly the single most personal favourite and meaningful piece of music of my life.

What is unquestionable though is that in twenty years from now and beyond, Zimmer's contemporary synthetically produced soundrack will be the blatantly "dated" work of the two - instantly transporting listeners right back into the year and decade the tracks were written in exactly the same way people immediately think of the eighties whenever they hear Duran Duran.

Zimmer's stylistic choices ensure he'll never be timeless in the way Williams shall be.

Impressive animated short and tribute of the 75 year old character. I agree that the Williams march should've carried the whole 2 minutes. The Zimmer piece sounded like a pop rock song in comparison. Didn't really sound like it was performed by an 80 piece orchestra to me.

Regardless of the currently unfashionable aesthetic of the Williams March, it still remains possibly the single most personal favourite and meaningful piece of music of my life.

If you're one of the lucky ones who got to experience the film in the theatres upon its initial release, I envy you since I am a few years too young for that. Even so, the piece is a favourite of mine as well, and I still remember hearing the march as an unfamiliar but immediately impactful piece over those famous opening credits. And that was on a TV in the early 80s. It speaks to the effectiveness of the musical writing to make its mark even with such a limitation. So many of the musical parameters are all "pointed" in the same direction in that piece that even if one or two are compromised by poor quality sound, the musical image still comes ringing through loud and clear. It's a marvel of musical engineering that I still find it thrilling to this day.

You call Williams' theme "dated", "Overly bombastic" and "chest pounding", and yet you prefer Man Of Steel?

MoS almost brings tears to my eyes. I haven't had such a spiritual experience in the cinema for years. I was just genuinely moved.

You blagging it right? I really enjoy quite a lot of Zimmer's score - even to the point of goosebumps, but I personally don't feel there's enough there to truly move me - say in the way Williams' beautiful homestead music does, especially the lush heartbreak of the Jonathan Kent's funeral cue.

You blagging it right? I really enjoy quite a lot of Zimmer's score - even to the point of goosebumps, but I personally don't feel there's enough there to truly move me - say in the way Williams' beautiful homestead music does, especially the lush heartbreak of the Jonathan Kent's funeral cue.

I love the homestead music and the underscore for Pa Kent's death. I was just comparing it to the Main Title march, which doesn't do much for me any more. If we're talking about scores here, then Williams easily wins for me.

That said, was still moved by moments in Zimmer's MoS, such as 'Look to the Stars', 'Goodbye My Son', 'Flight', the very end of 'Terraforming', and the film version of 'If You Love these People.'

I must admit that I'm rather surprised by how moved both of you were by the MoS score. I can understand enjoying the score (though I didn't myself), but I don't think there's anything substantial enough to elicit such strong emotions. The cues Prometheus mentioned leave me cold and I believe Zimmer has written more powerful stuff in his career.

Again, I'm not bashing the score, just trying to understand different views.

Perhaps not quite? I always thought Prometheus had intelligent and well-reasoned tastes in music, even if sometimes expressed a little crudely.

Perhaps not quite? I always thought Prometheus had intelligent and well-reasoned tastes in music, even if sometimes expressed a little crudely.

A little crudely? How so?

I can understand enjoying the score (though I didn't myself), but I don't think there's anything substantial enough to elicit such strong emotions.

Often the simplest music can elicit the strongest emotions.

MoS almost brings tears to my eyes. I haven't had such a spiritual experience in the cinema for years. I was just genuinely moved.

eek2.gif

A quality you generously overlook in Shore's Middle-earth music.

eek2.gif

A quality you generously overlook in Shore's Middle-Earth music.

Huh? I love Shore's scores for the LOTR films. 2:43-3:22 in Eyes of the White Tower from RotK brings out a similar reaction in me to those MoS cues.

I enjoy large chunks of Man of Steel score and that Zimmer does a lot more with his chords this time around that he did in, say, Batman films - there is a definite storytelling going on here. I get his Midwest-like approach for the character and how it connects with a more modern era Thomas Newman defined Americana. And his New Age Krypton sound design. And the finale track (the one from trailer) is among my most listened single tracks of this year.

Having said that, Zimmer in general is simply not what I'm looking for in film music. I came to love the medium because of a power of a symphony orchestra and the skill with which older composers conjured musical worlds. It's what gets me and what I'm looking for - there is simply no substitute for that in terms of the thrill aspect (for me). Nothing against Zimmer as a musician/producer/person, it's a valid approach and good that we get so much variety in terms of different backgrounds, genres and styles in music. Plus, he's done some really good work here and there, sure.

Karol

Prometheus, I was just referring to some of your swearing which in retrospect, isn't really brought up in score discussions, so I guess that point was invalid. Sorry. Although you sometimes state your opinions rather abrasively. I believe that's what I was referring to.

But in truth, your thoughts on music are among the ones I value more on the board, or find rather interesting,, even if I don't always agree.

I enjoy large chunks of Man of Steel score and that Zimmer does a lot more with his chords this time around that he did in, say, Batman films - there is a definite storytelling going on here. I get his Midwest-like approach for the character and how it connects with a more modern era Thomas Newman defined Americana. And his New Age Krypton sound design. And the finale track (the one from trailer) is among my most listened single tracks of this year.

This I agree with.

Having said that, Zimmer in general is simply not what I'm looking for in film music. I came to love the medium because of a power of a symphony orchestra and the skill with which older composers conjured musical worlds. It's what gets me and what I'm looking for - there is simply no substitute for that in terms of the thrill aspect (for me). Nothing against Zimmer as a musician/producer/person, it's a valid approach and good that we get so much variety in terms of different backgrounds, genres and styles in music.

Curiously, I've found in recent years that I've sort of moved away from the symphonic sound I've loved (and continue to) most of my life per se and noticed myself being increasingly interested and affected by the sound of more modern musical design. Whether it's naturally or synthetically produced doesn't matter to me - I just like the end result. I like the modern twist. Probably because I've always had a thing for eighties electro and broader dance music later, plus I've been a gamer since a young kid.

As always though, it is melody and rhythm which grabs my attention first.

These people who waste their time fretting and arguing about a how piece was written and produced just tend to bring out my narcoleptic side.

Having said that, Zimmer in general is simply not what I'm looking for in film music. I came to love the medium because of a power of a symphony orchestra and the skill with which older composers conjured musical worlds. It's what gets me and what I'm looking for - there is simply no substitute for that in terms of the thrill aspect (for me). Nothing against Zimmer as a musician/producer/person, it's a valid approach and good that we get so much variety in terms of different backgrounds, genres and styles in music.

Curiously, I've found in recent years that I've sort of moved away from the symphonic sound I've loved (and continue to) most of my life per se and noticed myself being increasingly interested and affected by the sound of more modern musical design. Whether it's naturally or synthetically produced doesn't matter to me - I just like the end result. I like the modern twist. Probably because I've always had a thing for eighties electro and broader dance music later, plus I've been a gamer since a young kid.

I'd agree with you in a sense that orchestral/symphonic sound in modern films is kind of... weak. Even when the music is good, which it often can be, the visceral impact is simply not there. Not in a way Zimmer's score drive his films, for example. The orchestral composers don't seem to learn and evolve a great deal to reflect current cinema, not in any significant ways anyway. The Matrix trilogy, some Howard Shore music and a few others (Desplat, perhaps?) - these are probably as interesting as a more traditional music gets in a blockbuster films. But most of this stuff came out around a decade ago and I can't say I hear a strong alternative for RC stylistics in films... Again, so everybody understands me correctly, it's not the supposed complexity or technical prowess I'm talking about here, that's another debate.

I'm not mentioning John Williams here on purpose. He's happily exploring his concert music these days and right there he's finding new ground, but, as far as films go, he's on well deserved retirement, doing whatever the f*ck he wants. I hugely enjoy all his works, but he's not part of the mainstream any more. As of now he's that granddad that everybody loves.

Karol

And definately the footage works better with williams theme....

It wasn't jarring. Zimmer slowed it down around 0:57, and gradually held out Williams' heroic brass note... segueing into his "Flight" theme. It may have seemed jarring at first, but Zimmer did a decent transition from Williams' march to his power anthem.

This clip perfectly highlights the difference between the two themes.

The Williams one is instantly hummable. The kind of theme you have stuck in your head after the movie. The Zimmer one is far more elusive. The orchestration and style of the piece dominating and actually overpowering the actual melody.

I've heard it in the film, and on it's own a few times and I still can't hum of whistle the theme to it's full conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

However, the arrangement in the Ohio Marching Band medley is quite fitting. They actually make Zimmer's theme sound like a decent movie tune, unlike the original version.

The Superman 75th tribute video is great, although some essential Superman periods are missing, in favor of less important ones.

And yeah, the Zimmer theme will be forgotten in no time (not that it's actually popular nowadays).

I can imagine that the 'death of Superman' is when things got more interesting for Snyder.

Also, Man Of Steel also jumped quickly to adult Superman skipping much of his teenage years. Of course, that's probably Goyer and Nolan for ya. To solve this, they fell back on an occasional flashback but that was not a good idea, IMO.

Alex