Guardian and Observer's Critics Have Picked The 10 best Sci-Fi Movies Ever

A24

A nice list, no more or less valid than anyone else's. Of course, there are those who will always argue that STAR WARS is space fantasy more than science fiction.

No, because it has spaceships and shit!

As for the list, it is predictable. I'd like to see that kind of thing prepared by someone in their early twenties. Now that would be a good indicator of how important and immortal these films would be...

Karol

As for the list, it is predictable. I'd like to see that kind of thing prepared by someone in their early twenties. Now that would be a good indicator of how important and immortal these films would be...

Karol

Good indicator? I would say just the opposite.

Anyway, as i understood it, the list is about the best films, not the best enduring films in time.

(if the second happens to happen too, then even better)

How would it?

What I mean is that the new generation doesn't embrace those titles, then they don't matter all that much.

What, like The Beatles? Or Elvis?

Are you feeling alright?

You can't compare cinema to music, quite a difference there.

Kids don't like the original Star Wars these days. Does it not dethrone the film somewhat?

Karol

No. Why would it? Are you forgetting that kids grow up?

I used to think loads of classics were rubbish when I was a kid!

I hope you're right.

But my point was, there needs to be some kind of a new angle to those lists. As they stand, it's just snooze-inducing.

How different could a list like this be though?

You can't compare cinema to music, quite a difference there.

Kids don't like the original Star Wars these days. Does it not dethrone the film somewhat?

Karol

This is not a list made by kids. I'm sure a kids list would be different and interesting to see. Would The Chronicles Of Riddick be on it?

BTW, Stars Wars is no longer at number 1, 2 or 3 in these type of lists, so I'd say it has been dethroned somewhat already.

BTW 2, 2001 is at number one and most of today's critics were kids when it was released. How's that for longevity!

What I mean is that the new generation doesn't embrace those titles, then they don't matter all that much.

And yes, longevity=best in my book.

Karol

So, if Metropolis can't be understood or appreciated by today's generation who is used to CGI, it means that it is not a good film? (ok, it seems like a dejavu with the other discussion i had started)

(by the way, i want to repeat that i haven't seen it yet)

If the new generation is bored to hell with Gone with the wind (most likely), it means that it's not a good film?

and to add the music field too:

if the new generation doesn't care at all for Beethoven's 9th symphony, it means that it's a bad composition?

BTW 2, 2001 is at number one and most of today's critics were kids when it was released. How's that for longevity!

Well, these are still the same people who grew up with this film and still get the context. But what about those people born in 2013 and how will they perceive 2001 forty years from now. That would be some real test of longevity.

So, if Metropolis can't be understood or appreciated by today's generation who is used to CGI, it means that it is not a good film? (ok, it seems like a dejavu with the other discussion i had started)

(by the way, i want to repeat that i haven't seen it yet)

If the new generation is bored to hell with Gone with the wind (most likely), it means that it's not a good film?

and to add the music field too:

if the new generation doesn't care at all for Beethoven's 9th symphony, it means that it's a bad composition?

This is, more or less, exactly what I'm saying. Art cannot live without an audience. That makes it pointless.

And comparison to Beethoven doesn't make sense. Music has much more universal meaning and value than film. Same with literature. It's more time-proof.

Karol

So, if Metropolis can't be understood or appreciated by today's generation who is used to CGI, it means that it is not a good film?

A film like Metropolis (probably) doesn't work in the same way that it worked in the 30's. But that does not mean it cannot be appreciated or understood in the context of the time and place of which is was made.

Well, these are still the same people who grew up with this film and still get the context. But what about those people born in 2013 and how will they perceive 2001 forty years from now. That would be some real test of longevity.

As far as I'm concerned the "context" of 2001 doesnt depend very much on the era it was made in.

It's visuals and it's philosophy can still be fully appreciated for a modern audience that was not born in the 60's (like me).

2001: ASU demands more patience and effort from the audience then most films today, but that has actually always been the case. Unlike Star Wars there has never been an era when Kubrick film has been universally loved and understood by the wider audience.

Let me put it this way, I think a lot of critics working today weren't even born. The film is almost 50 years old. Not only did it survive Star Wars, Blade Runner and E.T., it's still widely regarded as the greatest science fiction movie ever made... And still this means nothing to you?! Do I detect some jealousy because your master (the one who calls himself 'Nolan') didn't get mentioned ;) ?

How about Metropolis? The film is 86 years old. Even Joey wasn't born then!!

Alex

Did I say anything about disagreeing with 2001 being on top of the list? I'm just saying the article/list is boring, for it offers nothing new. And somebody got paid for it.

Nolan did get mentioned, actually. ;)

Karol

It's boring because most of the selections are very much a shoe in.

You make an alternate list then with the 10 best sci-fi films that contains no more then 3 of the titles in that article and other films of equal strength and merit.

Could you do that?

No, because I hate lists like this. That's my point, I don't get this obsession with lists, statistics. It has no meaning nor substance.

Karol

well, lists like that have an enormous meaning to me, since it was a starting point for watching old classic movies, and I thought to start from the ones that are considered important/best would be good!

I've already seen 75 out of 100 of AFI's 2007 list, and i'm happy that i discovered all these classics that i didn't know about.

Without a list, I wouldn't know where to start.

No, because I hate lists like this. That's my point, I don't get this obsession with lists, statistics. It has no meaning nor substance.

Karol

Men love to quantify everything.

You and your inches!

Karol

Boringly predictable list.

well, what would you pick?

ALIEN

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

ETERNAL SUNSHINE ON THE SPOTLESS MIND

METROPOLIS

GATTACA

PLANET OF THE APES

A.I.: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

VIDEODROME

THE DAY THE EATH STOOD STILL

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN

I don't know about the others, but I wouldn't substitute Star Wars or E.T. with Gattaca or The City of Lost Children.

Especially since Star Wars is a landmark film, with the future sci-fi films and film scores, owing their presence to it!

But each has his own taste.

And I didn't know Eternal Sunshine is considered sci-fi.

I thought the list is about films that the sci-fi element is prevailing.

(of course I only saw the film years ago once, and I don't remember anything)

Fun list, though I agree it was definitely predictable. We usually see titles like this on all these lists. (At least they got Alien in there.)

You should check out the other links at the top. The comedy, romance, and action lists are a lot more variegated and interesting (even if you don't agree with some of their choices). Eternal Sunshine actually makes the romance list.

- Uni

I'm surprised that "Forbidden Planet", or "The Day The Earth Stood Still", or "Frankenstein", or "Planet Of The Apes" or "Brave New World" or even "A Matter Of Life And Death" were not in there, but hey, each to their own...

If we are counting "Star Wars" (which some people do not regard as SF) then why not "Superman", or the "Lord Of The Rings" films? Anyway, where was "The Empire Strikes Back"?

Boringly predictable list.

well, what would you pick?

Some films are destined to be always in such lists.

By the way, the only films I haven't seen from these are Solaris and Metropolis.

never deserve to be there

Frankenstein is a wonderful brilliant film but it isn't science fiction, it is horror and would never belong with these films.

all their lists are poorly composed. but remember it's the guardian, spelled more succinctly..... RAG.

Neither is Alien, but hey, I guess only sci-fi buffs make a big deal out of it. I too would put Alien in my top 10 because, well, there's not much else out there. I don't think I can get up to 10 titles, and even if I could, it probably be as boring as most official lists. I love science fiction but it's the genre I'm the most critical of.

Alex

Men love to quantify everything.

"You don't understand, Crocodile. You're not a man!" (to paraphrase Uther's desperate appeal to Merlin, in Excalibur)

17 inch is more impressive then 17 cm though.

"One may use a sea fishing rod to fish, but they will feel distant from the ocean" (old melange proverb).

......general comments that the list is boring / predictable

"I can't believe nobody has mentioned.........yet" (or similar)