Howard Shore Concerti

Has anyone on here been lucky enough to hear any of them? I don't think any records exist (unless someone knows of one) :(

I did find that you can't rent the scores, however that doesn't help any of us.

Does anyone know anything more about them?

This leads me to believe there ARE recordings that exist, seeing as they were used in this.

That's just a concert suite from the Eastern Promises score, essentially. But I will second that jaw drop in regards to Nicola.

I wish there were a "works list" or something on his website so we could at least know what concert music exists from him. There's the Cello Concerto, the Piano Concerto, the Seven Pieces, the Fanfare that he wrote for the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Wanamaker organist Peter Richard Conte, and that's all I know.

The only recordings I have are of a brief solo piano piece called Piano Four, and a little chamber piece called Hughie, that were released on an album with concert music of Kamen, Portman, Broughton, etc.

Also does anyone know anything about his upcoming second opera that his site mentions?

Maybe this has been seen already, but here's a review of the concert which premiered the Cello Concerto. It's not much, just a little description.

http://themillbrookindependent.com/arts/concert-concertos

I've also found a site indicating the orchestral lineup, which calls for double woodwinds, three horns, a harp, and strings.

Actually, this site seems to be a pretty good compendium of his work, with at least the instrumental details/movement titles for each piece.

http://www.schott-music.com/shop/persons/az/howard-shore/works/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That recording of the cello and piano concerti went as planned, hopefully.

Mythic Gardens and Nerakhoon were recorded live at the concert yesterday and an additional session today. Various other stuff including Fanfare and Seven Pieces will be recorded in Dublin at the end of this week.

No piano concerto performance or recording just yet.

That recording of the cello and piano concerti went as planned, hopefully.

Mythic Gardens and Nerakhoon were recorded live at the concert yesterday and an additional session today. Various other stuff including Fanfare and Seven Pieces will be recorded in Dublin at the end of this week.

No piano concerto performance or recording just yet.

Great news Jim! :)

Also, an additional piece for chorus and two celli (The Garden) was performed and recorded prior to the pre-concert talk - it's a hauntingly beautiful piece. I don't know what the plans are for the release of any of this material but there's more than enough for a great album.

I'd thought they indicated that the piano concerto would be part of it

That was the original intention, but there are legal and logistical issues that prevented it.

What form does the Nerakhoon piece take? Is it a suite from the score or reworking of the material into something new?

On Shore's Schott page, there is a piece called Nerakhoon listed, for two celli and chorus. Perhaps the Nerakhoon piece and The Garden are the same thing?

Nope never mind. The Garden is listed as well.

What form does the Nerakhoon piece take? Is it a suite from the score or reworking of the material into something new?

It had the feeling of suite but there may have been some reworking in there too. For Hobbit trivia fans, the solo soprano part was performed by Clara Sanabras; she'll be performing Seven Pieces in Dublin too, which features some interesting arrangements.

The Garden by Howard Shore (with Q & A)

It's the first 5 min of the video. Absolutely gorgeous piece (the one Jim mentioned was written for chorus and two celli)!! I can't wait till we get a proper recording of this!

Do we?

I was just continuing from discussion about the piece earlier in this thread (in the last page I think).

Yeah, I just remembered it, but couldn't be bothered to find it :P

I guess I'll post the piece there too, thanks.

Wouldn't be nice to get that kind of choral writing for the Hobbit films? Too bad there's nothing in those films to really merit/inspire that style of music.

That would be very interesting; a Terrance Malick film scored by Shore. We probably wouldn't hear much of it in film though. ;)

I enjoyed it, especially the third movement. You have to keep in mind SUH that Shore's concert works are generally quite different in structure from his film stuff (though stylistically, it all comes from the same roots).

For TGP:

Hmm. Well, it's certainly a Shore production. The very definition of neo-classical: conservative harmony, sparse orchestration, evenness of mood and expression. Not exactly the bee's knees for anyone who exclusively enjoys cinematic music. I'll have to listen to it more and see what mysteries it has to reveal, but for now, I'd call it a decent piece of music.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok so https://twitter.com/rte_co/status/480770076870991872

says that "Howard Shore in Dublin with @rte_co @NCH_Music part 1 @RTERadio1 11pm tonight including Mythic Gardens Cello Concerto with Emma-Jane Murphy."

Now, I don't know if you can listen to RTÉ Radio 1 outside the island of Ireland but worth a try anyway! http://www.rte.ie/radio1/

There might be a podcast of it put up tomorrow. I'll let you know if I find out. Someone might throw it up on youtube!

EDIT: Part two will be on next week and that has the Lord of the Rings music in it.

Well, there is already that unofficial recording of the concerto with Lockhart conducting on Youtube, unless it's been taken down. I downloaded it, even though it turned out to be a piece that I'm not terribly keen on revisiting.