Howard Shore Concerti

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

Is "Mythic Gardens" and "The Garden" referring to the same piece of music?

No I think it's this choral piece at the beginning of this video:

Karol

Here it is:

(Source: Press release http://howerecords.com/a-palace-upon-the-ruins-selected-works/)

A Palace Upon the Ruins – album track list

1-6: A Palace Upon the Ruins – lyrics by Elizabeth Cotnoir
Jennifer Johnson Cano, mezzo-soprano; players of the Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival

7: Peace – text by Eleanor Roosevelt
Essential Voices USA Youth Workshop; Benjamin Hutto, organ; Judith Clurman, conductor

8: The Garden – text by Robert Penn Warren
21st Century Chamber Choir; Ludwig Wicki, conductor

9-14: Six Pieces
I. Pianoforte, Strings – Howard Shore, conductor
II. Quartet – Kronos Quartet
III. 10 Celli – RTÉ Concert Orchestra; Ludwig Wicki, conductor
IV. Strings – RTÉ Concert Orchestra; Ludwig Wicki, conductor
V. Mezzo-soprano, 10 Celli – RTÉ Concert Orchestra; Ludwig Wicki, conductor; Clara Sanabras, mezzo-soprano
VI. Strings – RTÉ Concert Orchestra; Ludwig Wicki, conductor

15: Catania
Lang Lang, piano

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But will it sound like a terrific CD? ;)

Will FilmsOnWax be reviewing this, Karol?

If we get it then probably yes. We usually get Howe Records stuff.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. This is pure Shore, with no Pope, after all! And Palace is a song-cycle (and a fine one at that) not an opera. Or are you saying you don't like music sung by just one voice?

The choral works and Catania are nice, but the outstanding works for me are the song cycle and Six Pieces. Listened yesterday while walking through a beautiful forest. There's certainly as much if not more to enjoy here than on any of the Hobbit albums. Bravo Howard!

• 2 months later...

And the next Howard Shore concerti CD is coming, on Howe Records in the US and Sony Classical overseas

51QM1plD5TL.jpg

71%2B8-aKh8YL._SL1200_.jpg

No links yet for the US Howe Records version, but here's some links for the international Sony Classical version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0OACD0/

http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/4131-two-concerti-ruin-memory-mythic-gardens.html

Nice! Really enjoyed a palce among the ruins.

Glad he's releasing concert work when his film scoring has slowed down. 

Wait, it's out Friday?

The international Sony Classical version is coming out in the UK on Friday the 13th, yes.

We don't know yet when the US Howe Records version is dropping, though we can import the UK version for only $51 on Amazon US!

$51 is a steal! If it's out in Tower on Friday I'll pick it up, if not I'll wait until the end of the month and order from Amazon. 

Shoukd be on Spotify Ireland on Friday anyway! 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad he's spending more time to write for himself now.

Palace Among the Ruins is indeed quite lovely. Some inspired moments in there.

As long as he is putting music out I don't care whether it's film or concert work. 

Maybe he's just fed up with the movie business and directors in general especially when Cronenberg is retired and Marty has stopped using him. Doesn't seem the type to get involved with the MCU or DC trash either. 

Would still love love to see him get a Star War though. 

I think another fantasy series wouldn't do. I always thought his artistic success of Tolkien films came not from working on the huge blockbuster even movie but because he liked the book. You need to give Shore free reign and some artistic concept in order to get the best out of him. He needs to work with someone like Terrence Malick, even if that means his work gets rejected. His concert works are probably more enjoyable than than many of his film scores anyway. Can't wait to get this disc when it comes out on Friday.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I think another fantasy series wouldn't do. I always thought his artistic success of Tolkien films came not from working on the huge blockbuster even movie but because he liked the book. You need to give Shore free reign and some artistic concept in order to get the best out of him. He needs to work with someone like Terrence Malick, even if that means his work gets rejected. His concert works are probably more enjoyable than than many of his film scores anyway. Can't wait to get this disc when it comes out on Friday.

Karol

His Twilight score isn't too bad to be fair. 

So do I. But Shore's is pretty good, as far as light-pop/rock albums go (which is more than these films deserve). Even the battle cue is fun, even if it leans on the derivative side.

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I prefer Desplat's score!

12 hours ago, KK said:

So do I. But Shore's is pretty good, as far as light-pop/rock albums go (which is more than these films deserve). Even the battle cue is fun, even if it leans on the derivative side.

You know what? I sort of think Carter Burwell did a more appropriate work on those than either of the two esteemed composers.

Karol

• 1 year later...