New from Intrada: Cocoon (Expanded) - James Horner Due: 11/4/2013

Trent B

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8288/.f

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 260
Date: 1985
Tracks: 22
Time = 62:25
World premiere expanded CD of James Horner soundtrack from popular Ron Howard sci-fi/fantasy with legendary cast of veterans including Don Ameche, Wilford Brimley, Hume Cronyn, Jack Gilford, Maureen Stapleton, Jessica Tandy plus Brian Dennehy, Steve Guttenberg, Tahnee Welch. Group of aging friends share life together in rest home, experience fear, fun, love, loss and collectively find mysterious alien pods in the poolhouse carry secrets of youth...at a price. James Horner fashions one of his earliest blockbusters, showcases numerous signature ideas that will grace his work for decades. Magnificent score was also one of first to appear on CD in 1985 (Polydor label), adding luster to project. Horner provides numerous highlights, with spotlights shining in four directions: incredibly warm, transparent love themes, vibrant big band-era pieces for three aged best friends, incredible action cues, powerhouse climactic themes for what lies beyond. Latter music represents some of composer's most inspired writing of all time with two side-by-side action sequences "David Runs To Boat", "The Chase" both building on primary thematic material, culminating in "The Ascension" a massive, emotional tour-de-force! Special mention is due Horner's inspired climax that crescendos in magnificent musical peroration, then recedes with descending series of whole-tone chords to cadence on gently beautiful, final major chord. And true to composer's nature, end credit music ("Theme From Cocoon") is masterful, fully realized composition unlike most of today's customary "cut-and-paste" editorial cues. It is rare that composer's are given opportunities to write hour-long film scores with the luxuries of genuine musical architecture, introducing multiple ideas, developing them, bringing in new themes, parting with earlier ones, gaining momentum, stirring up the musical pot then finally leading everything towards truly magnificent finish. James Horner takes that opportunity, delivers the goods! Entire score newly mastered by Mike Matessino, with significant improvements in stereo image, clarity courtesy multi-track masters housed at 20th Century Fox. Entire production courtesy Fox and Universal Music Group. Additional source cues plus Michael Sembello's "Gravity" appear at end of CD as extras. Authoritative oversight by Nick Redman, informative liner notes by Julie Kirgo plus session photos of composer wrap up entire album with colorful bow. James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!
01. Through The Window 2:58
02. Going To The Pool 1:55
03. Pool Is Closed 2:10
04. Mysterious Dive 1:54
05. Seduction/Let's Go 2:10
06. Unveiling 1:05
07. Discovered In The Poolhouse 2:47
08. A Relapse 1:27
09. The Lovemaking 4:24
10. First Tears 1:51
11. Rose's Death 2:14
12. Returning To Sea 4:16
13. Sad Goodbye 2:15
14. Sneaking Away 3:15
15. David Runs To The Boat 1:53
16. The Chase 4:30
17. The Ascension 6:01
18. Theme From Cocoon 6:05
19. The Boys Are Out 2:37
20. I Feel Great 1:05
21. Rock Source 1:13
22. Gravity 4:00

how much unrelased music is there ? (not counting the added source music )

OST (score - source): 44:26 - 7:27 = 37' approx.

Intrada (score - source): 62:25 - 8:55 = 53'30'' approx.

53'30'' - 37' = 16'30''

The old album was a perfect cut of the score, the remaining minutes do not really add anything significant (and are short to begin with). I even liked the sound of the original but maybe it is 'significantly improved', who knows. I say: if you haven't got this by now, by no means get the Intrada, if you have the old CD, don't bother.

publicist, I disagree with that post, and here's why.

There are some great moments, one of which can be heard in the samples: Pool Is Closed.

This is the cue where the Dolphins are swimming beside Jack's boat, one of those brief moments that had me wearing out the VHS tape way back (before I even had a CD player, or attained the PEG CD release, which has had plenty of playtime, and does a good job of distilling the score).

The music may not be as significant as the cues on the original release, but they are of substance, and definitely worth the upgrade, IMHO.

Also included in this is the fact that the CD has been transferred from the original masters, and are more dynamic than the OST CD (which sounds good, of course).

Add to that the liner note booklet to provide context, and Intrada's usual high standards when presenting the score, and the value proposition, to me, becomes clear.

I have not actually heard this score, a classic it may be, outside the main theme. I guess it comes highly recommended?

It's one of those that made people fall in love with Horner back in the old good days. That was before the dark times, before Titanic.

It's as good as Horner gets.

Karol

I've never heard a single note of this, but I've been in a Horner mood recently after the concert, and I had to order Red October anyway, so I'm getting this as well.

Ditto, I've never heard it either but have been enjoying Horner lately and this is a must-purchase for me. Will probably order directly from Intrada to support the label rather than using Movie Music. Since it's not shipping until Nov 4 though, I'll likely wait until Nov 3 to see what's in their Nov 10 batch before ordering.

I gotta pick up Red October too, and still haven't picked up 48 Hours or Clear and Present Danger either...oi!

I ordered it from SAE along with King Kong 2c.d.

You sure took your time with King Kong, king mark. Given your love for it.

Karol

I'd always forget to order it. And it was sold out for a while

I ordered it from SAE along with King Kong 2c.d.

You sure took your time with King Kong, king mark. Given your love for it.

Karol

I'd always forget to order it. And it was sold out for a while

You'll love it, it's a brilliant release. I've never heard this score before buying it and it's now my favourite John Barry.

Karol

To all the fucking cavemen, here's why you should own COCOON

I kind of take that as offensive in nature. Just because Cocoon doesn't click with me doesn't mean I should buy it because someone "told" me to do it.

He recommends the score a few posts after saying the original album was enough and that the upgrade isn't required. That's THORoughly nice of him.

I didn't spot that but haha ya.

Actually there's still one more Horner gem that could benefit from a complete release... Willow.

Haha, I suppose I have heard it in that trailer!

I look forward very much to hearing the new Intrada CD (and eventually seeing the film one day)

I've never seen this film or heard the score, but I'm curious about both. All thanks to the positive feedback from fans. Besides I need more Horner scores in my collection.

I suppose. I wonder what kind of profit margins the labels get. If it works how I think it does, where they sell bulk quantities of their CDs to other outlets for a premium, wherever you buy doesn't really make a difference. Intrada chooses to have Amazon fulfill their products, so I'll happily save myself $3+ per order on shipping.

I'm sorta questioning that it supports the labels less. I don't see anything wrong with ordering from Movie Music or whoever you like. The outlets still pay the labels said money for the number of copies they've reserved. So in a way they're still getting the money from the CDs.

Wow. Intrada's really on a roll. Weren't we just wish-listing this one recently around here. . . ?

The beauty of this score is that it belongs to Horner's early days, back before he had a broad pool of his own music to draw from when attempting to create more scores. (That's not to say he was completely innocent of his habits even back then. Those of you listening for the first time--and paying attention--will hear an entire 60-second section during "The Chase" that is lifted note-for-mutherluvin'-note out of "The Genesis Countdown" from Star Trek II.) But that kind of thing never bothered me much in those days. This score showcases some of the most mellifluous stuff he ever wrote, and brief moments he honestly never quite equaled again. Well worth owning, especially in expanded form.

- Uni

will hear an entire 60-second section during "The Chase" that is lifted note-for-mutherluvin'-note out of "The Genesis Countdown" from Star Trek II.

- Uni

Which Britten plagiarized in WAR REQUIEM (listen at 10:01, thanks to crocodile for unmasking the charade :) ):

Just listened to the clips on the Intrada page. I had no memory whatsoever of the unreleased stuff, and it turns out to be magnificent! This is definitely a must-have score for any serious film music collector.

Why do I like the Super 8 film? It was a nice little film. Good acting, good story, good look, funny moments. Good summer blockbuster that isn't about superheroes, robots, or remakes/sequels.

Why do I like the Super 8 score? Has a handful of great themes that play off each other the whole time, really good stuff

I am sure I will like Cocoon's score too.

Let me point out the extremely poor design of the SAE checkout page and overall payment process.

First it takes me at least a minute each time to figure out where the hell I have to click to pay. It should say so on a clearly marked button, not having to read instructions in small print like "click on the ghostly, poorly defined icon below to proceed to Paypal". Plus there's other issues like after logging into Paypal and paying , you get sent back to SAE for a weird Your Order is not Done Yet! page with a "finalize order" button (and after clicking on that Firefox blocked me and gave me a black "connection not trusted, get me out of here" page leaving me wondering what the fuck just happened)

I assume my order went through since I have a Paypal receipt and SAE order confirmation emails , and my Paypal history shows the transaction to SAE as Completed but really the whole process seemed really shoddy. I shouldn't have to wonder if the order went through or my Paypal account was vulnerable to hackers during the payment process.