Film Composers on the LSO

scissorhands

It has been a few years since this particular JW segment was posted (back in 2009) so I think we can let is remain on this part of the forum. Here is the original JW segment. :)

Actually Williams work with the London Symphony Orchestra predates Star Wars. In the early 70's, he used the orchestra to record one song from "Fiddler on the Roof" and he was in attendance when Previn led the LSO on the European premiere of his Symphony (that was 1971 or 72).

Yes, I think Previn, and the way he wanted to expose his orchestra, was one of the reasons they did the score with the LSO. I know I have a documentary somewhere where Williams mentions something along those lines.

Was Star Wars the actual beginning of the LSO's soundtrack recording career?

No they had done scores previously on and off since the 1935, when they recorded the score for Things To Come. Seems that they had a prolific 1930's, 1940's and 1950's but their film work increased again in the 1970s with Star Wars among other things.

You must be joking right?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an actual film recording by the LSO pre 1977. But perhaps I'm just temporarily confused.

Perhaps this list will help if my above post didn't.

In Marian's defence, their work for film (probably) did dramatically increase after Star Wars.

Yes I think it was a real boost for visibility as a film orchestra and viability of film recordings (in the eyes of the musical directors I guess).

They are actually much more expensive than studio musicians. It's just the re-use policy that makes the difference.

Karol

Good on 20th Century Fox for paying the re-use fees for "Star Wars".

Actually Williams work with the London Symphony Orchestra predates Star Wars. In the early 70's, he used the orchestra to record one song from "Fiddler on the Roof" and he was in attendance when Previn led the LSO on the European premiere of his Symphony (that was 1971 or 72).

Don't forget "Jane Eyre", which used the LSO, or, at least, members of. Peter LLoyd definitely played on "JE".

Was Star Wars the actual beginning of the LSO's soundtrack recording career?

You must be joking right?

What pre-Star Wars LSO soundtrack recordings would you recommend?

Perhaps this list will help if my above post didn't.

I wasn't aware any of these (the scores listed before SW) were recorded by the LSO, so I don't feel ashamed for asking the question. ;)

What's interesting though is that among the scores listed, Williams' are the first written by an American composer.

The CD only mentions it has been recorded in London. Same with Black Gold.

Karol

The LSO has been relegated to a ghostperforming role. Sad.

Well it is IMDB after all. As shocking as it may seem, not all info is reliable there.