The Official James Horner Thread

James Horner explains why he didn't score Amazing Spider-Man 2:

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/07/james-horner-explains-why-he-didnt-score-the-amazing-spider-man-/

“[Director Marc Webb] was very inexperienced and he and I had a very good relationship and the producers had their own opinion,” Horner explained. “And they didn't want his input. And then Sony had their own, they just wanted action.”

"To me, the whole thing about doing the movie was I liked the director and there was a chance to write something for the two lead characters and then she dies in the next movie,” he said. “But the next movie ended up being so terrible, I didn't want to do it. It was just dreadful.”

At least Horner has good taste in movies.

"To me, the whole thing about doing the movie was I liked the director and there was a chance to write something for the two lead characters and then she dies in the next movie,” he said. “But the next movie ended up being so terrible, I didn't want to do it. It was just dreadful.”

At least Horner has good taste in movies.

Nice way of retrofitting an answer.

He didn't object to BAD GIRLS, KING SOLOMON'S MINES and THE SWARM so this amounts to a hearty 'whatever'. I'm sure that if Sommers hadn't treated him like shit on this he never would have uttered a word. And i don't think he would have scored MUMMY RETURNS, being too weak for another mammoth blockbuster score.

He didn't object to BAD GIRLS, KING SOLOMON'S MINES and THE SWARM so this amounts to a hearty 'whatever'. I'm sure that if Sommers hadn't treated him like shit on this he never would have uttered a word. And i don't think he would have scored MUMMY RETURNS, being too weak for another mammoth blockbuster score.

Being too weak didn't stop him from scoring Star Trek Nemesis.

Which obviously wasn't a really huge score compared to the workload of a MUMMY sequel with 2 hours of music and lots of last-minute editing. And from what i remember, reports of him being visibly weakened throughout the NEMESIS sessions indicated that he wouldn't be around that much longer in recording studios.

I'm sure that if Sommers hadn't treated him like shit on this he never would have uttered a word.

Do we know that? Or is it just an assumption?

Karol

Second-hand, yes. Sommers was not only director but also producer on this. As i understood the grapevine he agreed with Goldsmith on spotting and Goldsmith wrote a score accordingly. After the fact, when Goldsmith was already in London recording the score Sommers demanded a substantial amount of additional music and Goldsmith had to write them in a haste in his hotel room which must have been a stressful experience - the way this whole matter was handled soured JG so he declined to do any further work with Sommers (remember, post-production changes are not unusual in Hollywood so there must have been an additional fuckup here).

The Mummy Returns is a 2001 film while Nemesis is late 2002.

Goldsmith was healthy in 2001. He even did concerts.

I don't know in what universe a man diagnosed with colon cancer and leukemia undergoing chemo is considered healthy, but i'm sure it is not inconceivable that he wasn't too keen on doing huge and demanding blockbuster scores after 2000.

I'm sure that if Sommers hadn't treated him like shit on this he never would have uttered a word.

Do we know that? Or is it just an assumption?

Karol

Second-hand, yes. Sommers was not only director but also producer on this. As i understood the grapevine he agreed with Goldsmith on spotting and Goldsmith wrote a score accordingly. After the fact, when Goldsmith was already in London recording the score Sommers demanded a substantial amount of additional music and Goldsmith had to write them in a haste in his hotel room which must have been a stressful experience - the way this whole matter was handled soured JG so he declined to do any further work with Sommers (remember, post-production changes are not unusual in Hollywood so there must have been an additional fuckup here).

What's never made sense to me is what the additional music was. There's nothing in the film that strikes me as overscored, and AFAIK the album has no alternates.

It's 95 minutes of score, that leaves room for 20 minutes unaccounted by the spotting sessions. And who knows what changes were demanded beyond that. The better question: why are we discussing it in a thread dedicated to the appreciation of, of all people, James Horner?

And Horner can't resist recycling his accelerating fanfares from Rocketeer and The Amazing Spiderman for this one. Sounds very good though.

His hairline is receding! Time to shave it all off, tan and get buff, Horner!

So he rips off his own score for The Rocketeer and this passes as some new concert piece from the composer of legendary scores for Avatar and Battle Beyond the Stars?

Yeah, that Gorecki rip was a bit heavy handed. And it sounds a bit too much like film music, and his usual fare. Hope there's more to it though!