The Official James Horner Thread

Just a reminder that tonight at the Hollywood Bowl is the North American Premiere of James Horner's double concerto "Pas de Deux".  More information here:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/cinematic-sounds/2016-08-25

I just returned from the rehearsal and it sounded fantastic.  It's a nice career retrospective with elements of Star Trek, Cocoon, some late Horner as well and a vigorous ending full of many trademark Hornerisms (rolling piano, bells, beautiful solo oboe, the Horner climactic riser, etc.).  Though the work is mostly delicate, it builds nicely to a triumphant climax which had 7 percussionists plus timpani.  The rest of the program is very good too (Herrmann, Bernstein, Gershwin).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Confusing. Was Horner a bit bipolar?

I’ve been fired from projects myself, sometimes because one person didn’t want to understand my work.

That's one way of looking at it.

He seems to have a different view of Yared's score than he did in Schweiger's interview in which he called it 'atrocious'.

From listening to those more familiar with the scores/film, I've interpreted that Yared's score was good, but overbearing for the film.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Confusing. Was Horner a bit bipolar?

That's one way of looking at it.

How about you quote the whole thing rather than just one small part to riff off with that 'bipolar' remark? Which doesn't even make sense by the way. 

On 6/22/2017 at 10:05 AM, Stefancos said:

Died two years ago.

No one's remembered...

Fuckers!

I dont like remembering death anniversaries anymore. 

41 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not sure it comes across as simple as that.

I think he can come off as quite a different guy depending on the interview. The Troy Yared comments seem quite puzzling indeed. His attitude in the audio interview was...somewhat different.

Or, to consider this (i assume) direct quote:

CF) You had very nice things to say about Gabriel Yared at the start of our interview.
JH) I always have nice things to say about him. It’s not because you live in a world filled with sharks that you should become a shark yourself.

which indeed begs the question if Horner processes things he says differently than most people would.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

CF) You had very nice things to say about Gabriel Yared at the start of our interview.
JH) I always have nice things to say about him. It’s not because you live in a world filled with sharks that you should become a shark yourself.

which indeed begs the question if Horner processes things he says differently than most people would.

Well, he did say he was a gifted composer in the infamous interview as well. In a somewhat backhand Horner way, but still. In all honesty, he insults Yared as a "film composer", not a "composer". And having seen some bits of Troy with original music restored, I would be inclined to say he might be onto something. It does sound a bit iffy...

Karol

Standing on its own, THAT score above sounds pretty great. 

With the film....well...

26 minutes ago, publicist said:

Processed and said. Past tense. Let the man rest at least you can say Yared's still working and well. 

Also, come on....you and many others on boards like this say pretty terrible things about people all the time. Whether you know them personally here or elsewhere or not. Just because you do it from behind a keyboard doesn't change a thing. 

What pretty terrible things? We all would like to hear from Mr. 18 posts.

59 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, he did say he was a gifted composer in the infamous interview as well. In a somewhat backhand Horner way, but still. In all honesty, he insults Yared as a "film composer", not a "composer".

He also accused him of ripping off Bach which was certainly uncalled for,  and by him, of all people.

The interview like many from this site seems a bit fishy. Like with some of those dubious Williams or Goldsmith interviews where their way of speak seems bended either due to faulty translations or, i guess that's it, a peculiar filling in the gaps by the author. I for the life of me can't imagine Horner addressing his work in that fuzzy fanboy speak.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

What pretty terrible things? We all would like to hear from Mr. 18 posts.

Gotta love the strangers who love to come in with flaming judgement and self righteousness. 

Pub can you be nicer to people please? You've been rude to a lot of people lately.  We're all here to share our love of film music, not to hurl insults around.

If you have a solid case of me abusing board members, ban me. For the record, i am really sick of your double standards and find your reactions here and elsewhere fishy at best.

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

If you have a solid case of me abusing board members, ban me. For the record, i am really sick of your double standards and find your reactions here and elsewhere fishy at best.

Very annoyed, isn't it?

On 10/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Gotta love the strangers who love to come in with flaming judgement and self righteousness. 

Oh please. I've visited this board for years, almost 10 years without signing up.

Doesn't matter how long someone has posted or how many. There is such a thing as lurking and observation. 

In fact I tried to sign up YEARS ago but couldn't because there was some sort of ban, which made no sense considering I'd never registered here before. 

Publicist was the number one person I'd associate with a bad taste and bad impression this board has. 

Remember the FSM board's criticism of this place? 

You think guys like him win any of you new members willing to put up with crap like that?

He's on ignore, and if you all want to condemn me for calling out a jerk, then I guess he's in good company. I have enough of that shit in real life. 

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

It's his way. You just have to sort of accept it. He's like a Pauline Kael of JWFan.

There should be a thread about this!

Who is the Roger Ebert of JWFan?

Who is the Donald Trump of JWFan?

Who is the Ron Howard of JWFan?

Who is the Hans Zimmer of JWFan?

Who is the John Williams of JWFan?

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Pub can you be nicer to people please? You've been rude to a lot of people lately.  We're all here to share our love of film music, not to hurl insults around.

20 hours ago, publicist said:

Please don't put words in my mouth.  I kindly asked you to please be nicer, I did not not say anything about "abuse" or threatening to ban.  Sheesh.

3 hours ago, NL197 said:

Oh please. I've visited this board for years, almost 10 years without signing up.

Doesn't matter how long someone has posted or how many. There is such a thing as lurking and observation. 

In fact I tried to sign up YEARS ago but couldn't because there was some sort of ban, which made no sense considering I'd never registered here before. 

Publicist was the number one person I'd associate with a bad taste and bad impression this board has. 

Remember the FSM board's criticism of this place? 

You think guys like him win any of you new members willing to put up with crap like that?

He's on ignore, and if you all want to condemn me for calling out a jerk, then I guess he's in good company. I have enough of that shit in real life. 

No, the entire point is that it does matter how long you've been posting.  It's a question of familiarity.  People can jab each other, or even earnestly criticize each other, if they know each other in forum terms, and it all stays pretty smooth.  

If you've lurked, surely you know pub's schtick by now.  Yes, in this case it violates that idea that ribbing should be kept between the acquainted, but you've gotta understand that coming on so strong out of nowhere with your own accusations will raise some eyebrows.  No one knows how long you've been a shadow member but yourself. 

You said it all yourself in your original accusation, but you got it wrong mate.  Giving each other a hard time is just the way of it here. Theres no malice inherent in it. 

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There should be a thread about this!

Who is the Roger Ebert of JWFan?

Who is the Donald Trump of JWFan?

Who is the Ron Howard of JWFan?

Who is the Hans Zimmer of JWFan?

Who is the John Williams of JWFan?

I think that we are all of them, at some time, or another.

We all have a love of film music, especially one particular composer.

In wanting to share our - usually heartfelt and considered - opinions, it's no surprise that, sometimes, and like Anton, we all get "a bit hot under the collar", but it's only because we love our chosen subject so much.

I'd like to see JWfan "bottle the acid", not in an effort to stifle creativity, but because it simply doesn't look good onscreen. 

As for NL197 not having a valid opinion; to me, it doesn't matter if someone has made one post, or ten thousand posts.  "Younger" members have every right to post, as much as "older" members. What they may lack is experience in dealing with certain...vociferous...members of our illustrious, and influential, site. 

As far as I'm concerned, everyone is welcome here, if they remain within the rules.

• 6 months later...

On 25.4.2018 at 10:07 PM, Jay said:

Check out this great article with lots of pictures of James Horner's studio

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/visit-studio-james-horner/

A wonderful little glimpse into Horner's very private personal life and a lovely tribute to him in general. 

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

So, time for a Horner biopic? I'm casting Kevin Kline as Horner.

It needs to be directed by Tarantino to capture what a bad ass motherfucka Horner was.  All the disputes with directors can be shown as a kung fu samari show down.