The Official James Horner Thread

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

what are the "best" expanded scores of James Horner?

Not best in terms of your favourite ones, but which are the best in the sense that they bring so more much to the listening experience or the representativity of the score, comparing to the OST experience, so that they are kind of "essential".

Star Trek 3, Krull, Aliens, Apollo 13, Titanic

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

Titanic is the first one that comes to my mind, as this is a rare occasion where I consider the OST to be a bad representation (it contains lots of unused material and is missing key cues). So the LLL is absolutely necessary. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

Titanic is the first one that comes to my mind, as this is a rare occasion where I consider the OST to be a bad representation (it contains lots of unused material and is missing key cues). So the LLL is absolutely necessary.

Yay, even more synthetic choir.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I've never been that big on Titanic, or even Braveheart for that matter.

I prefer Horner on a slightly smaller scale I guess.  

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Titanic... really?

You didn't ask us for our favorites, you asked us for the ones that "bring so more much to the listening experience or the representativity of the score, comparing to the OST experience" and the LLL Titanic absolutely does that, yes.

If you don’t own Back to Titanic (I think) it is still worth having. Along with the Il Salostini disc from the anniversary edition of source music is your thing. 

Back to Titanic is fantastic for those suites.

I think an expanded Perfect Storm would fit the bill for this question, should it ever be released. Most of Horner’s OSTs are mercifully well-made, though.

I think most Horner OSTs from his post-Titanic, pre-Avatar years included all the major highlights of their scores. I'd love to be proven wrong with expansions though.

I'd say all his OST albums from the mid-90s to the end had very comprehensive and satisfyingly OST albums, with the exceptions of the two longest scores (Titanic and Avatar)

Some of the others will have some cool little cues here and there he didn't include, but I don't think the overall experience will not be changed as much as some of his older scores were, by their expansions

56 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I always wondered what is "Back to Titanic"?

The prequel.

Cameron is shooting it in 3d IMAX for 2025 release.

I highly recommend BTT if only for " A Gathering Panic", easily the best action cue in the score!

The “Epilogue, the Deep and Timeless Sea” suite might be the best piece of music from all of Titanic, and worth the purchase alone. Not to mention several other great tracks.

8 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

and it’s probably worth that much for the suites alone

It'd be worth 4 times as much for the suites alone! They're a fantastic slightly evolved look back at the material in a freer setting.

No, they are later recordings with a different orchestra in a different studio and all that. I guess it could have been solved like The E.T. Adventure (if the rights situation is solvable), but then it would have been a 5 disc set just for that.

2 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

We are also working on an album

What would be on that?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

What would be on that?

I had started to talk about it on the previous page.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:19 AM, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Recording and releasing an album featuring the rare, almost unheard concert works.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Un cousin français? :o

Yes, even in France we listen to film music. :D

It's a phenomenal undertaking, Jean-Baptiste. Obviously, there are some A listers missing - such as James Cameron. I'm sure you've tried, and that he's simply too hard to get to. Can't wait to read all about this when it gets out. I know that my Norwegian acquaintance Kim has been involved as well.

Thank you Thor.

Regarding Jim Cameron, you're right, he is very busy. I think he's making movies right now. :D
And then he's already talked a lot about James Horner on many occasions. It's the same for Ron Howard and Mel Gibson. So I already have in the database a lot of quotes from these three directors.
I'll just have a few questions about The Missing to Ron Howard, and Apocalypto to Mel Gibson.

So I concentrated on the other collaborators to get new information on as many films as possible.

Yes Kim helps me a lot. Our team is international!

Cool. Marian -- who also posts here -- took a lot of excellent Horner photos for my interview in 2013. So many, in fact, that when you scroll through them,  it almost becomes live action. Bittersweet to watch now. With his permission, I'm sure you could use some of them. Then again, I guess you have no shortage of Horner photos yourself.

It would be great to add some pictures taken by Marian indeed! :lovethis:

The goal is to have as many pictures as possible. I'll keep myself 6 months after the writing for the layout and the negotiation of the rights to use the photos. 

Interesting trivia.

I saw WOLFEN in SF at a theater just down the street from Intrada's retail store.

After the screening I went over there to see if they had the soundtrack.

Turns out Doug Fake had also been very impressed by the score.

Later he acquired a cassette copy and , ultimately,  released it on CD!

1 hour ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

It would be great to add some pictures taken by Marian indeed! :lovethis:

The goal is to have as many pictures as possible. I'll keep myself 6 months after the writing for the layout and the negotiation of the rights to use the photos. 

OK, great. I'll let Marian respond here, if he reads.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, Jay said:

Intrada later debuted  [soundtrack albums] using abridged & arranged albums (Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Journey of Natty Gann, Something Wicked This Way Comes)

Ahh.....those were the days!😞

Great selection, Marian. You should upload the handshake one where we get to see Horner's wrist tatoo.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Great selection, Marian. You should upload the handshake one where we get to see Horner's wrist tatoo.

ACtC-3cPJ3Ku8fc-JSyFuwD_31AJ5H6V0ZJJzhTT

ACtC-3cZb8oO0eNVBiq8IKq1-aQdDc9_DOnmLL-e

(I don't have a paid Flickr account anymore, so I've stopped uploading stuff there)

That's Sandra Tomek - the woman behind the Hollywood in Vienna events. Thanks, Marian. Can anyone make out what the tattoo actually is?