The Official James Horner Thread

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting LA Times interview with JH from 1995… https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-02-13-ca-31547-story.html

Horner’s mood is joking but sometimes severe, especially when the orchestra members begin chatting between takes.

“I don’t think they do that with John Williams,” Horner says of the orchestra’s restlessness after work for the day is done, “but they do that with me. It’s a little bit of the age thing--I’m the same age as some of them, or younger than some of them, and don’t have the credits John does. I like to use young people because I find for the most part they’re very responsive and the mold hasn’t been set yet.”

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Just now, Edmilson said:

Sneakers was released in 1992, not 95.

Fixed!

Just now, Bespin said:

I would vote for Brainstorm, I don't own this score on CD, I always waited for a proper release.

Varese Sarabande has perpetuity rights, so Intrada can't do that one.

37 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

What do we want? What's out there that should be expanded?

A lot of the more recent Intrada Horner expansions (*batteries not included, Apollo 13, Balto, An American Tail, The Land Before Time…) have been of Universal Music-owned (often MCA) original albums.

So I’m thinkin’ these might be possible…

An American Tail: Feivel Goes West (MCA)

We’re Back! (MCA)

Dad (MCA)

The Man Without a Face (Philips, also UMG-owned)

The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper (Polydor, also UMG-owned)

A Beautiful Mind (Decca, also UMG-owned)

But Intrada also did some recent Horner expansions from Sony (Jumanji, Legends of the Fall) so stuff like The Spitfire Grill, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, Deep Impact, Freedom Song, The Perfect Storm, Enemy at the Gates, The Four Feathers, The Missing, Sneakers, or the Zorro scores could also be possible.

Of course it could also be an expansion of a Hollywood Records (Disney-owned) title such as Mighty Joe Young.

Or who knows… maybe a premiere! The sky’s the limit really…

Yavar

I would love expansions of Bicentennial Man and Deep Impact. I know they're full of recycled Horner-isms, but they're just so good! 

Imagine just having eaten the best meal of your life, and then the chef comes out and proceeds to ask if you would like several more helpings, with only a few ingredients swapped around. You'd be a fool to refuse!

2 hours ago, Trope said:

I would love expansions of Bicentennial Man and Deep Impact. I know they're full of recycled Horner-isms, but they're just so good! 

Both of those would be amazing choices. 

In fact, I'd love expansions of pretty much anything Horner wrote post-Titanic and pre-2005, it's my favorite era for him.

22 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If only Varese didn't control this one in perpetuity...

Yavar

Given that the OST is, if I remember rightly, a re-recording, does their rights holding extend to the original film tracks too?

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Given that the OST is, if I remember rightly, a re-recording, does their rights holding extend to the original film tracks too?

They do indeed, confirmed multiple times by folks at other labels. And a former Varese employee (Peter Hackman) confirmed trying to pursue a Deluxe Edition while at Varese, but someone apparently shot it down.

Two other 80s scores which Varese controls in perpetuity due to their specific licensing agreements despite releasing re-recordings rather than the original tracks: Miklos Rozsa's Eye of the Needle (though the superior original recording was luckily released as an isolated score track on the Twilight Time Blu-ray) and Danny Elfman's Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

They do indeed, confirmed multiple times by folks at other labels. And a former Varese employee (Peter Hackman) confirmed trying to pursue a Deluxe Edition while at Varese, but someone apparently shot it down.

Thanks both, I figured that was the case but thought I'd ask anyway! Shame. Wonder why someone shot it down (unless it was James Horner himself, but this seems unlikely) as I think it would be a good seller and is a very well regarded score. Oh well, we can but hope... if nothing else, the OST could use a bit of a remaster.

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Two other 80s scores which Varese controls in perpetuity due to their specific licensing agreements despite releasing re-recordings rather than the original tracks: Miklos Rozsa's Eye of the Needle (though the superior original recording was luckily released as an isolated score track on the Twilight Time Blu-ray) and Danny Elfman's Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Yavar

Varese do at least seem to have picked up on doing expanded editions again (even if the production quality has been variable at times) so we can only hope these get some attention eventually.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody likes this album?

It's OK. Different enough interpretations to make the "evergreens" interesting.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody likes this album?

image.png

Is it similar to the Hans Zimmer one with various artists doing random interpretations? I have to admit that I quite liked that one, but overwrought/pop-infused versions of Hans Zimmer's music work in a way that I'm not sure I'd enjoy with James Horner's.