John Williams looks forward to scoring new ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Indiana Jones’ (Inquirer Entertainment interview)

Mari

Nice interview here

When we asked him for at least three film scores that he’d like to be remembered for, one of John’s picks was a surprise.

“I always remember certain passages in ‘Close Encounters…’ that I particularly enjoy playing with orchestras, away from film, so that may be indicative of something.”

He added, “And several movements of ‘Star Wars’ I also continue to have interest in as a performer. I did a television version of ‘Jane Eyre’ years ago (1970), directed by Delbert Mann. I wrote that new score in London many years ago. I have continued to enjoy revisiting that. So, in my case, that’s been a good measure of what I like that I have done in the past. If I don’t pick it out of the library and don’t want to perform it, it means that I don’t particularly want to return to it.”

One of the thrills of my life is that he revisited Jane Eyre when I saw him in Chicago in 2005. :)

he should try (or some label should ask him if he wants to do it) a re-recording of jane eyre since the masters were lost. It's one of his favourite works it seems afterall.

and wow, that must be one of the most "un-default-answers" interview ever! Nice read indeed :)

Nice interview here

If I don’t pick it out of the library and don’t want to perform it, it means that I don’t particularly want to return to it.”

It's official he hates Han Solo and the Princess

Interesting that he considers his themes to have a sense of inevitability to them. That's how so many of us would characterize them, so it's nice to see that's consciously on his mind when composing.

Very sweet article. I especially liked this part for some reason: “My children are grown,” he said. With a grin, he quipped, “They don’t have to put up with it (his music-playing and composing) any longer. My wife is brilliant. She’s not very interested in music. I think it’s a good relationship. She doesn’t go to concerts, so I go alone or with my daughter. It’s very interesting.”

Very sweet article. I especially liked this part for some reason: “My children are grown,” he said. With a grin, he quipped, “They don’t have to put up with it (his music-playing and composing) any longer. My wife is brilliant. She’s not very interested in music. I think it’s a good relationship. She doesn’t go to concerts, so I go alone or with my daughter. It’s very interesting.”

Yes, wasn't that unexpected? His wife isn't interested in music??? What do they talk about then?

Yes, wasn't that unexpected? His wife isn't interested in music??? What do they talk about then?

I think that Williams meant relative to himself. I'm sure she loves music like anybody else, but as a casual listener, rather than a composer, performer, or aficionado. Willliams has always said that he doesn't actually like listening to music recreationally, particularly as "background noise" -- in the car, at a party, doing house work -- so I imagine it's not a huge topic of discussion for him, anyway. It seems like composing or listening to music is something in his life that is rather personal and that he specifically sets aside time for, and he takes up other interests in the meantime.

Actually now that I think of it, it's funny how rarely music comes up in everyday discussion with the people who are closest to me, despite it ranking highly amongst my deepest passions. There are too many other things to talk about.

I think that Williams meant relative to himself. I'm sure she loves music like anybody else, but as a casual listener, rather than a composer, performer, or aficionado. Willliams has always said that he doesn't actually like listening to music recreationally, particularly as "background noise" -- in the car, at a party, doing house work -- so I imagine it's not a huge topic of discussion for him, anyway. It seems like composing or listening to music is something in his life that is rather personal and that he specifically sets aside time for, and he takes up other interests in the meantime.

Actually now that I think of it, it's funny how rarely music comes up in everyday discussion with the people who are closest to me, despite it ranking highly amongst my deepest passions. There are too many other things to talk about.

I don't think it really matters - for instance, Don Williams said that when he's not working with JW on a film score, they are not talking music. That's office talk. They are talking about everything else but music so I can see the same for the wife.

Samantha is a photographer, so I guess she's more interested in that particular artistic expression.

The surprise for me in that interview was to learn that Arnold Spielberg is still alive!

Not sure. The topic has come up in a few interviews with people asking him if he thinks he needs to make a fifth film to "redeem" the series after KOTCS, just like he felt he needed to redeem the series after TOD.

But he always answers that he's very proud of KOTCS, and doesn't feel the same way about it as TOD. He's obviously aware that the fans hated it though, even if he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I think he was saddened by the fan's reaction. Lucas is used to it from Star Wars, but I think Spielberg was took by surprise. If he is involved, I think he'll be thinking a lot about what the fans want.

I don't think you have to be interested in music on a composer level to talk about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I read somewhere (possibly at FSM) that when Williams was talking about the new Star Wars film at a concert, he said maybe he'll have some music to preview in 2014. I can't find the link, so I may have misread what he actually said. It's obviously too early for any music, but I'm wondering if has he read the basic storyline of the film and has some ideas already?