HOME ALONE - Live to Projection Concerts

Ricard

Alrighty. Still I would certainly go if I weren't separated from US by this blasted Atlantic!

I'll have to see if Marcy wants to go

If Marcy wants to go, will you pay us Europeans our flight tickets?

Clearly that's what he's been saying. I'm counting on him to stay true to his word.

Yes, it's in Boston, and JW lives in California.

And yes, JW flies to Massachusetts twice a year every year, for the Boston Pops concerts in May/June and the Tanglewood concerts in August.

But there's no way he'd do this live to project event, totally different scenario.

I just can't see him flying to Boston at Christmas to conduct 3 concerts that involve him standing there doing nothing for more than half the time. There isn't actually a lot of score in that movie.

• 2 months later...

For anyone going to any of these performances, I have a question. I was watching the movie a couple days back and noticed both a few scenes without any score and those with source/pop songs. I wondered if Williams might have created some cues just for the live performances that might fill in the some of longer silent stretches or add orchestral versions of the pop songs. If you notice anything, please pass it along.

For anyone going to any of these performances, I have a question. I was watching the movie a couple days back and noticed both a few scenes without any score and those with source/pop songs. I wondered if Williams might have created some cues just for the live performances that might fill in the some of longer silent stretches or add orchestral versions of the pop songs. If you notice anything, please pass it along.

I'm curious as well since there are a lot of silent moments in the film. I'm also wondering how the orchestra will handle the edits, tracked music (which is there very little) and unused music. I'm assuming they'll play the score as Williams originally scored it before it was edited for the film.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the show right now, intermission just started.

The concert started with the orchestra playing the 20th Century Fox Fanfare that opens the film live, which was a nice bonus!

"Hard Count" wasn't played, and Run Run Rudolph was played over the speakers instead of the orchestra playing Making The Plane, unfortunately.

The combination of "Drug Store" and "Escape Across The Ice" was really well-done live, like it was always one cue!

The intermission point is right after Listening To Carson, which was extended to have a cool concert-like ending. (The screen fades to black after the scene and "intermission" appears on the screen, but the music keeps going straight through until the piece is done). Wish I had known and tried to record that.

I didn't notice any other score changes yet.

Choir wasn't on stage for the entire first half - I never noticed before that choir doesn't enter the score until the second half of the movie (probably because we're only a third of the way through the score).

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas had only the Mel Torme vocal coming from the speakers; the orchestral accompaniment and backing vocals were live!

The end credits had the We Wish You A Merry Christmas vocal!

After the end credits, they played / sang Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2!

Does it have the film version of Clothesline Trapeze?

Yes.

You should have recorded it! I would have lent you my Talkboy.

It would have been worthless, I think. The audience covered most of the new ending with applause. The audience also completely drowned out the keyboard finale of the end credits - they heard the music start to die down and figured it was already over.

All the church hymns were performed live with a children's choir and organ (probably a synth). The only real gaffe was "Setting the Trap" - they used the original synth drum recording, and the orchestra was clearly out of alignment with it. I guess they didn't have the space or technical capability to use a live synth drumkit.

Yes the audience was very annoying:

-Applauding as soon as "Intermission" appeared on the screen, even though the new Williams piece wasn't done playing yet

-Applauding as soon as the end credits began to roll, even though the orchestra was just about to perform what is basically the finale of the night

-Applauding as soon as the end of the end credits got to the quiet part, rather than after the piece was completely finished as is proper

At least they didn't applaud early for "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas", though it'd be hard to with that piece due to the way it was written.

Yea, "Setting The Trap" was almost a disaster, with the recorded back-beat coming in VERY loudly as soon as Kevin looks up and sees the church clock. The mixer in the back seemed to hard a hard time balancing the levels of it, the film's audio, the orchestra, and the choir. The choir is still singing Carol of the Bells when Setting The Trap starts in the film, and then it kinda quickly fades out and they sat down which all just seamed weird. As the cue went on things got a bit better, though it was odd the way the backbeat completely disappeared for the middle then returned again for the end. A few people in the audience almost applauded when it was over.

I don't remember if the dialed out portions of Paint Cans and Clothesline Trapeze were restored or not. The Clothesline Trapeze insert was used.

I was really happy that the choir sang "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" to start the end credits, but I almost couldn't tell because of the audience applauding.

-Oh yea, that reminds me that some people stood up and had to ask people also get up so they could leave right when the credits started. Lame!