HOME ALONE - Live to Projection Concerts

Ricard

Joann kane also posted some more pictures of the score and parts from this score on their twitter page for this. Unfortunately just slates and no titles.

I'm not home (will be for a week) so can't see if the LLL release for Home Alone has that info in the liner notes or not. If not then I'm sure the album uses the real cue names. Can you post a link to what you're talking about?

Oh wow! I would be go in a heart beat if the damn Atlantic didn't separate me from US.

Oh wow! I would be go in a heart beat if the damn Atlantic didn't separate me from US.

In that case, this might help you.

I'll get right on that! US here I come! Although there is this result

Vacuuming up half the oceans would massively alter the climate and ecosystems in ways that are hard to predict. At the very least, it would almost certainly involve a collapse of the biosphere and mass extinctions at every level.

So perhaps not.

Jon Burlingame has written an article for Variety on the popularity of film music concerts. Here's his mention of the Home Alone concert:

IMG Artists has partnered with the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, which specializes in repping film composers, to present live-to-picture concerts of films done by GSA clients. The first will be “Home Alone,” premiering Dec. 18, with the Cleveland Orchestra, directed by David Newman, performing the Williams score for the 1990 John Hughes film. Starting next summer, IMG and GSA will offer both “Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” two Michael Giacchino scores for the J.J. Abrams rebooted franchise — and there are plans for more.

Hopefully, the "plans for more" will include additional JW movies. :)

Joann kane also posted some more pictures of the score and parts from this score on their twitter page for this. Unfortunately just slates and no titles.

I'm not home (will be for a week) so can't see if the LLL release for Home Alone has that info in the liner notes or not. If not then I'm sure the album uses the real cue names. Can you post a link to what you're talking about?

http://fb.me/2uC7nx3Pk

http://fb.me/1VftkqUs5

If the titles are accurate on the LLL then some of the names could be inferred from the slates on the parts.

I'm not usually a fan of this type of "concert". It's really more of a film experience, and that's not why I go to film music concerts. In fact, I don't really like it if they have any screens or footage at all. I saw PERFUME this way in Krakow last year. The only real interest is in hearing and demonstrating more clearly what goes into a film music recording session.

But I'd definitely love to go to a "pure" concert with loads of HOME ALONE music!

I'm not usually a fan of this type of "concert". It's really more of a film experience, and that's not why I go to film music concerts. In fact, I don't really like it if they have any screens or footage at all. I saw PERFUME this way in Krakow last year. The only real interest is in hearing and demonstrating more clearly what goes into a film music recording session.

But I'd definitely love to go to a "pure" concert with loads of HOME ALONE music!

I understand, but personally I find them really interesting, because you get to hear and experience "exactly" what it is that film music is doing for a picture, in its "natural habitat", if you will.

Karol

The only real interest is in hearing and demonstrating more clearly what goes into a film music recording session.

An event like this doesn't have much in common with a recording session.

I would say it has more to do with the spotting session than a recording session (except that you are hearing the music played live to the picture...)

I understand, but personally I find them really interesting, because you get to hear and experience "exactly" what it is that film music is doing for a picture, in its "natural habitat", if you will.

Karol

I think it is really a fascinating experience to see and hear music performed live to the picture, not only because the music takes center stage but also to see how the whole orchestra works and hearing and seeing new details in the performance. I have been to a couple of these events and at times I really forgot the orchestra and was lost in the union of film and music on the screen as the playing was so skillful (I am refering to Fellowship of the Ring live projection in particular) but then again I had a great time just watching the orchestra perform. Of course this kind of event works best with a film that has a lot of music, preferably almost wall-to-wall, which gives it a nice operatic feel.

The Matrix was amazing. I was sitting quite near the stage so could see the lady playing prepared piano. And also they transcribed all the japanese percussion from the dojo sequence into the orchestral instruments. And that sounded really cool. It's a very suspenseful and "subtle" score, but you can hear how it builds and develops over the course of a story. Also, brass playing, usually not great with this sort of thing, was exemplary.

Plus, usually you get to hear some easter eggs in those performances - things being added and changed. It's a feast.

Karol

Karol

Yeah, I know. That's the only real value for me -- a nurturing of my FILM music interest, really. It isn't related to my soundtrack interest, which is why I go to concerts.

While it isn't really like a recording session, it's probably the closest we mere mortals can get.

What could beat listening to "Holiday flight" performed live to picture..... that one piece of music is what I hear in my mind whenever someone makes reference to Home Alone.... A little bit slapstick but you could see JW was having fun with the scoring ... everythings a bit larger than life.

Tchaikovsky (sp.) would be proud I'm sure lol!

I'm kind of with you on this. When I saw FOTR earlier this year, I found myself wishing for the dialogue and sound effects to just shut up so I could listen to the orchestra (don't mind the picture, personally, but the competing sounds). Won't stop me from seeing TTT and ROTK if they come around over the next few years - I'll just view it more as a communal viewing of some great movies, as opposed to a concert.

I'm kind of with you on this. When I saw FOTR earlier this year, I found myself wishing for the dialogue and sound effects to just shut up so I could listen to the orchestra (don't mind the picture, personally, but the competing sounds). Won't stop me from seeing TTT and ROTK if they come around over the next few years - I'll just view it more as a communal viewing of some great movies, as opposed to a concert.

Well that was my experience as well. They should actually let the movie play mute or seriously lower the dialogue and effects so the music can communicate and comment the story by itself.

Yes, and they need to take the dialogue off the screen as well.... I get that it was likely put up there for the deaf people in the audience.... but how many deaf people would go to a concert to begin with?

The subtitles would make sense if the film's audio was seriously lowered, but it wasn't!

Well that was my experience as well. They should actually let the movie play mute or seriously lower the dialogue and effects so the music can communicate and comment the story by itself.

I think its too weird if the movie plays totally mute. I thought we had quite a good balance in our FOTR live screening.

What could beat listening to "Holiday flight" performed live to picture.....

Listening to it WITHOUT picture! ;)

I have listened to it without picture for years, its gotten old, no goosebumps or shivers.

I think its too weird if the movie plays totally mute. I thought we had quite a good balance in our FOTR live screening.

Well it was an excellent performance by the Tampere Filharmonia (I would have to say pitch perfect even) and quite a good mix but there were still some moments where I thought they should have let the music do the talking instead of the SFXs and dialogue.

I don't know what kids today make of films like Home Alone as they are getting on now in age 20+ years?

I did really enjoy the music as a kid but now as an adult I kind of see it as a bit sugar coated and not mickey mousing but a bit like peter and the wolf in parts. I remember the setting the trap well with that kind of Bachian "fugue".

I also think it could have been more effective if the A F# A F# D A etc. theme wasn't done to death with JW laying on the sappyness at the end. Then again this was 1990's and they don't make films like that anymore...

Why is it an odd choice, it's a very 'musical' and relatable score full of little "pièces de résistance" - like the missing-plane sequence and several droll scherzos, so i think it's a great score for kids and adults.

• 10 months later...
Experience this true holiday favorite as never before, on the big screen with live orchestral accompaniment! With a charming and delightful score by our own Pops Laureate Conductor and legendary film composer John Williams, Home Alone is holiday fun for the entire family. Macaulay Culkin stars as Kevin McCallister, an 8-year-old boy who's accidentally left behind when his family leaves for Christmas vacation, and who must defend his home against two bungling thieves. Don't miss this hilarious and heart-warming performance for three shows only on December 26 and 27.

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/67644

It doesn't say if it's being conducted by JW himself or someone else.

Alrighty. Still I repeat that I would certainly go if I weren't separated from US by this blasted Atlantic!