HOME ALONE - Live to Projection Concerts

Ricard

On 5/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, Smaug The Iron said:

They are playing Home Alone on the 18th of December in my hometown. I have already booked my ticket :woop:

Unfortunately thanks to the pandemic it has changed date to the 16th of December 2021. 

• 1 year later...
On 03/11/2020 at 11:14 PM, crumbs said:

I've had the LLL for over 2 years and still haven't given it a listen. This Christmas it will happen!

Finally heard disc 1 of the LLL. Great score!

I can see why this would be riotous live.

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino reveals that this past December, John Williams attended a Home Alone: Live To Projection concert at Disney Hall in LA, was in the audience for the entire movie and was introduced at the end!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Home Alone: Live To Projection discussion is about 1 hour, 35 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tooth Stinger should also be present, though I don't recall if they play it live or it comes out of the speakers. 

Harry's whistling comes out of the speakers of course

They play Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2 as an encore 

Here's more:

On 27/12/2014 at 8:39 PM, Jay said:

I'm at the show right now, intermission just started.

The concert started with the orchestra playing the 20th Century Fox Fanfare that opens the film live, which was a nice bonus!

"Hard Count" wasn't played, and Run Run Rudolph was played over the speakers instead of the orchestra playing Making The Plane, unfortunately.

The combination of "Drug Store" and "Escape Across The Ice" was really well-done live, like it was always one cue!

The intermission point is right after Listening To Carson, which was extended to have a cool concert-like ending. (The screen fades to black after the scene and "intermission" appears on the screen, but the music keeps going straight through until the piece is done). Wish I had known and tried to record that.

I didn't notice any other score changes yet.

Choir wasn't on stage for the entire first half - I never noticed before that choir doesn't enter the score until the second half of the movie (probably because we're only a third of the way through the score).

On 27/12/2014 at 10:06 PM, Jay said:

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas had only the Mel Torme vocal coming from the speakers; the orchestral accompaniment and backing vocals were live!

The end credits had the We Wish You A Merry Christmas vocal!

After the end credits, they played / sang Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2!

That's all consistent with the performance I saw. @blondheim the intermission music definitely isn't on the LLL album. Unless it's from some later concert suite or something, I think it must have been written for the LTP. If I remember correctly, it's fairly similar to the end of "Somewhere in My Memory," but still very noticeably different. If it wasn't JW's handiwork, it was arranged by someone who really understands his idiom.

Was Home Alone the first Williams LTP score to be widely available for renting/licensing by any orchestra in the world?  I know ET had the anniversary concert in 2002, but was it being played in cities around the world before Home Alone?

I think it was among the first. But for Williams scores I believe I saw ET and maybe Raiders before it? And the LOTR LTPs were the big breakthroughs of the medium I think

• 11 months later...
41 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I'm just waiting for today's concert to begin!

You really get around, Biodome. I'm envious of your financial possibility to do so -- especially now with the weak krone.

Here's the ending! They also played Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!

4 hours ago, Thor said:

You really get around, Biodome. I'm envious of your financial possibility to do so -- especially now with the weak krone.

It does make a dent in my finances, and now especially with the krone, it's very noticeable, and a full-time job is barely enough. Nevertheless, I think it's worth it.

I wasn't even going to London because of Home Alone, though. It was an afterthought, as I noticed that there luckily was a concert today at RAH. I went with some family to see Phantom of the Opera yesterday. That one was also a great experience. Here's the conductor doing a little performance for us after the end:

That piece is a masterwork.  The lyrics are insipid, but it's my vote for the best melodic Christmas work Williams ever wrote.  There's hardly a Christmas movie in existence that couldn't benefit from having that theme play in its climax.  It's like the Lost Boys and the T. rex are having a wassail together.

17 hours ago, Biodome said:

Here's the ending! They also played Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!

It does make a dent in my finances, and now especially with the krone, it's very noticeable, and a full-time job is barely enough. Nevertheless, I think it's worth it.

I wasn't even going to London because of Home Alone, though. It was an afterthought, as I noticed that there luckily was a concert today at RAH. I went with some family to see Phantom of the Opera yesterday. That one was also a great experience. Here's the conductor doing a little performance for us after the end:

Ah, thank you SO much for the video! This will be a good memory!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 80sFan said:

Statements like this is what snobs always miss: the musicians themselves appreciate the qualities of Williams's pieces: “I’ve been looking forward to playing John Williams scores for a long time,” said Sonia Mantell, a cellist with the Minnesota Orchestra. “No one has a bad part. It just feels very easy to be engaged the whole time when playing his film scores.”

Sometimes I don't think these writers have any real understanding of what they are writing about: "Home Alone has a famous set piece in its last act that features a Rube Goldberg machine–esque sequence of booby traps, and naturally it’s all choreographed to match the score perfectly."