Now You Can Be Hans Zimmer!

A24

The progress progresses! The future is here! Orchestra at your fingertips! Well at least percussion!

'We're hoping that we can change in some ways the way that people write music.'

'It breaks down the wall of music theory and having to study that in order to write orchestral music and work with musicians.'

:rolleyes:

Music has been a free and shared part of human culture long before music theory.

Work like this this just opens the orchestra (or a good chunk of its powers), which has been largely locked off, to anyone,. How dare peasants have access! ;)

Music has been a free and shared part of human culture long before music theory.

Work like this this just opens the orchestra (or a good chunk of its powers), which has been largely locked off, to anyone,. How dare peasants have access! ;)

If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the synthetic power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of synth libraries to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it.

These synth wizards were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Incanus, you are often a man of wisdom. But this time I think you're off the mark. Far off.

Having tools more readily available to you does not mean people will stop studying theory. There are composers and artists who have studied the theories and the fundamentals who will live and die never getting to have their work played by orchestra. Not because of lack of talent, lack of skill, lack of training, but merely because of chance. They may have been at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Tool like this give people the chance to be heard. Yeah, they let some losers in, but as long as it enables talented people to do great things, I am all for democratizing the orchestra, at least a form of it.

Tool like this give people the chance to be heard. Yeah, they let some losers in, but as long as it enables talented people to do great things, I am all for democratizing the orchestra, at least a form of it.

I actually agree with this statement to a large degree but I am also a bit disheartened by the fact that making music is more and more a craft of computers and doodling on labour saving devices rather than that of heart and mind (to put it poetically). Of course it is the way of progress that black dots on a note paper are replaced by green and yellow and red bands of colour on multiple lines on a computer and it makes little difference whether it was done by hand or by a computer but people will easily start creating outwardly rather than inwardly and relying on these devices to do some of their thinking for them. You can of course say that end justifies the means and that it really doesn't matter how music was created as long as it is good and that is equally true. But it is a shame if people get away from learning the language they are about to express themselves in just because it is convenient and made easy for them. Again the whole debate of is there one musical language and if there is just one way to learn it could take pages and pages of space but I won't go into that as lay person with no musical education.

I think the reactions to that commercial blurb about freeing the orchestra to everyone's disposal have more to do with the fact that some people feel it over-simplifies the art and craft of music making as it seems to imply that everyone can do it with these tools now, because it is just that easy. Push a button and you can be the next Hans Zimmer or John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith. This of course is not true but it is like a commercial of any product that promises you the moon from the sky if you buy it and on top of that it will be easy as well. Where years of study and internalizing a lot of knowledge was previously required, undoubtedly making music a professional's and expert's game, creating music is now just as easy as breathing to everyone. I know this is a hyperbole but this is where at least I feel the problem lies to some people, diminishing the role of time and effort to require the skills to make music.

The positive aspect of this technology and to quote good ol' John Williams "labour saving devices" is that people get to create and enjoy making music, even if it doesn't have any lofty goals or aspirations behind it. Music is something everyone should be able to make for their own enjoyment and for others' if they so choose. Modern society of course has with its enormously media centered view on life made sharing personal information and naturally also music almost easy as breathing. And what in the past remained a personal hobby is now on Youtube and Facebook and god knows where on the net, whether it should be there or not quality-wise, since not all of us are that gifted but among the chaff there are also those grains of wheat and if these devices make nurturing these talents possible and easier and help to get them heard then I am all for this kind of progress.

I agree with Cauliflower here. Yes, with things like sample libraries and DAWs you get a lot of garbage, hackery, and banal imitation. But their virtues are made evident entirely when a single composer can hear a work of their own realized, in albeit synthetic form, when they may never have had that opportunity otherwise. It gives serious musicians the ability to create examples of what they can do to put out into the world, and offers a real chance to overcome the old "you don't get performed unless you've already been performed" issue, the analog of that paradox in film music being "you don't get jobs unless you've already had jobs." Folks aren't beholden to the whims of performing organizations or studios as much anymore. They can be their own advocates with this technology.

Jason, I'm pretty sure I've made it clear I'm not a Jurassic Park fan!

What does that have to do with not recognizing one of the most popular movie quotes of all time?

What does that have to do with not recognizing one of the most popular movie quotes of all time?

Obviously Blume has rejected JP altogether! ;)

The only quote people know from JP is "Welcome to Jurassic Park." One of the most popular quotes of all time it is most certainly not.

The only quote people know from JP is "Welcome to Jurassic Park." One of the most popular quotes of all time it is most certainly not.

Never heard of it, but yes, I would recognize from what movie it is.

But that's because you're a film buff. I agree with Koko, the average moviegoer wouldn't recognize that quote.

Are you calling Blumenkohl an average moviegoer?

But that's because you're a film buff. I agree with Koko, the average moviegoer wouldn't recognize that quote.

Are you calling Blumenkohl an average moviegoer?

These days? Yeah.

If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the synthetic power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of synth libraries to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it.

These synth wizards were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Incanus, that was great! Easily the funniest thing I have read all week. Blume's response is priceless. Still, it doesn't stop you from being ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!