The Patriot

SilverTrumpet

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to enjoy The Patriot more now than when I first got it. My wife bought it for me and I listened to it once and wasn't that impressed. So almost a year later, I picked it up again and to my surprise I really enjoyed. The main title which includes almost all the themes is some of the best JW has done.

Just one of those scores the betters with age.

I'm not a fan of "The Patriot". I love the main titles, and most of the thematic material, but I really don't care for the disc as a whole. In fact this has become one of the rare exceptions were I prefer the complete version (ripped from dvd with a bunch of sfx) than the original release...

I'm not the biggest fan of the film. But I did take away from the experience that lovely feel of Americana in the film's opening titles.

Then, there's the theme for the freedom fighters. I wished there was more use of it in the film, but we get a nice chunk on CD.

The score has surprisingly little thematic material, which may have been why I intially refused to get the CD.

It was a surprise when it was nominated for an Oscar, but after its nomination, I appreciated it more.

To me, the Patriot is a beautiful score but that is because it resembles so many other beautiful scores (Amistad, Born on the Fourth of July, The Unfinished Journey, etc.) I think much of it is recycled (sort of a Horner-esque move). The love theme is gorgeous though. It ranks, in my book, as one of his best love themes.

Dole

I thought it was just okay in the movie but since it's Williams, I'd buy the CD anyway.

That was the summer my father got remarried in Wisconsin, and if anyone's ever been to Wisconsin, you'll know there isn't a FRIGGIN' THING TO DO THERE.

So I just basically went on walks listening to the score, I must've listened to it like 20 times and basically grew to love it. The main theme is very relaxing at first then very...well.....patriotic.

By the way, if anyone goes canoeing at all, the Patriot, I think, is the greatest thing you could possibly listen to while canoeing. It's perfect. Great atmosphere music.

I love The Patriot (movie as well, but especially the score). I must admit I don't often listen to a lot of the score, but the bookend album arrangements are among my favorite pieces. Truly moving and inspiring music.

Ray Barnsbury

The Patriot is, in my opinion ofcourse, one of the most dissapointing scores ever. That doesn't mean it's bad. Not at all. But it's merely good, where it could have been a classic.

The violin theme that opens the album is a marvelous creation. It's rich in expression and the melody is gorgeous. Had Williams expanded on this idiom the score would have gotten a lot of attention.

The overall score, with a number of really average and unmemorable brassy themes, lacks distinction and more importantly emotion. Would the score have been able to provoke more emotions than the film would have been a greater succes. In this case; the score hurt the film more than most people would like to admit.

I always compare The Patriot to Braveheart; both film and score. That's not really a good thing to do I know. In my opinion Braveheart has everything The Patriot is missing including a truly memorable and emotive score.

I'm not saying Williams should have including bagpipes and that kind of stuff. All I'm saying is that Williams should have included memorable, long-lined themes and melodies.

Bye,

Roald

I'm not a fan of "The Patriot". I love the main titles, and most of the thematic material, but I really don't care for the disc as a whole. In fact this has become one of the rare exceptions were I prefer the complete version (ripped from dvd with a bunch of sfx) than the original release...

Thank you Miguel. You are making me blush. :|

And I agree with most of you. I did NOT care for the OST, but after I saw the film and did that DVD extract, my feelings changed greatly... I rather like it quite a bit now, after being initially disappointed when I 1st heard the OST CD.