"A Conspiracy Unmasked" or Analyzing the Fellowship of the Ring CR

Faleel

On a mildly unrelated note, the version of the Prologue from the 2001 OST has been in the top spot of my favourite single cues for the past 12 years or so.

Doug once wrote about it the following: "Shore's score begins with "The Prophecy," utilizing an ensemble of amassed instrumental and choral forces in a confident and powerful display. The cue functions somewhat like an overture, though displaying an array of ensemble colors rather than a parade of themes -- dramatically and musically the perfect choice." (The entire piece is here: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2001/15_Nov---Lord_of_the_Rings_CD_Review.asp)

Aye! :)

Although I love The Prophecy piece, which was an unforgettable opening to the musical world of Middle Earth, I still have to say the more heavily thematic revised Prologue is still a winner in my book with its even more overture-like feel which is more like an introduction to the Ring and some of the central elements of the score than just an independent experssion of mood and colour.

You have grown, Moderator, Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise, and cruel. you have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you! Well, I go and I will trouble you no more. But do not expect me to wish you health and long life. You will have neither. But that is not my doing. I merely foretell.

Will you not come down? Your argument has proved less strong than your hope and fancy made it. So may other things in which you still have trust. Would it not be well to leave it for a while? To turn to new things, perhaps? Think well, Stefan! Will you not come down?'

And it is stitched together from the longer earlier Prologue which was stitched together from different themes. It is a f*#¤& stitch work of themes man! So to my ears the only difference is that Shore develops longer one single idea in the Prophecy compared to a more reactive score of the final prologue where the themes reflect the action and highlight the Ring. You make it sound like the final version in the film is a hack job which it isn't.

I think both versions are great in different ways.

Yeah they truly are and I like both. But we can't have a heated debate if we can choose both. ;)

Isn't it time for a "let's agree to disagree" post?

No. You are wrong and wicked! Ta-ta!

On a mildly unrelated note, the version of the Prologue from the 2001 OST has been in the top spot of my favourite single cues for the past 12 years or so.

Doug once wrote about it the following: "Shore's score begins with "The Prophecy," utilizing an ensemble of amassed instrumental and choral forces in a confident and powerful display. The cue functions somewhat like an overture, though displaying an array of ensemble colors rather than a parade of themes -- dramatically and musically the perfect choice." (The entire piece is here: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2001/15_Nov---Lord_of_the_Rings_CD_Review.asp)

Aye! :)

I like the extended Rarities version.

Karol

Jim Ware, is 6:26 to 6:30 of "Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe" looped?

No. The CR has an edit at 7:14, but aside from that this section is presented as recorded.

Do you mean that there is music edited out or is there looping?

Jim Ware, is 6:26 to 6:30 of "Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe" looped?

No. The CR has an edit at 7:14, but aside from that this section is presented as recorded.

Do you mean that there is music edited out or is there looping?

Two bars were edited out on the CR just before the choir enters. They can be heard in the film.

I've edited my post above as we seem to be discussing two different areas of the same piece. I don't recall there being any edits to the skip-beat buildup to the Minas Tirith reveal on the OST.

I will post a visual/audio comparison.

I've edited my post above as we seem to be discussing two different areas of the same piece. I don't recall there being any edits to the skip-beat buildup to the Minas Tirith reveal on the OST.

Watch this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9S3BWcVdJUE5sRHM/edit?usp=sharing

Was the statement of Evil Times in the EE version of the Shards of Narsil scene written and recorded for the scene? or is it the revised To Rivendell tracked and pitch shifted?

Also, 0:34 of Strider is artificially extended right?

At least I get a free pass since I was not involved in the production in any way (except for purchasing merchandise).

Also, is the music at 3:07 of Farewell to Lorien not on the CR?

Also it seems that the second statement of the Ringwraith Theme as Sauron is throwing the Gondorian soldiers around like playthings is microedited on the CR, the TTT video game seems to have that short section.

I never noticed how different the Album version of Flight to the Ford was from the CR version!

Is it just the performance or is there significant difference in content? I am at the moment unable to compare them myself.

I never noticed how different the Album version of Flight to the Ford was from the CR version!

Is it just the performance or is there significant difference in content?

The first part for Aragorn and Arwen uses a Cor Anglais melody, instead of the more "textural" strings in the film version, the music for the chase is a more aggressive take with hectic bodhran thumping high in the mix, and the material for Arwen's "prayer" is a shorter solo voice that is mixed low.

Is it just the performance or is there significant difference in content?

The first part for Aragorn and Arwen uses a Cor Anglais melody, instead of the more "textural" strings in the film version, the music for the chase is a more aggressive take with hectic bodhran thumping high in the mix, and the material for Arwen's "prayer" is a shorter solo voice that is mixed low.

Arwen's Prayer is the part I noticed when I watched the film in 2001 and was puzzle why it was shortened on the album.

Its interesting how both in FOTR and DOS, that music received "revision", no?

In The Hobbit films the music received a lot of revision (or omission) in general but it is indeed interesting that this particular moment was revised also in DoS. I would say it is more of a coincidence than related particularly to this theme though. But is the shorter version on FotR album just an alternate take for a slightly shorter scene or just an edit?

Well, firstly, it seems to be slightly different lyrics:

OST lyrics:

What grace is given me

Let it pass to him

Save him.

CR lyrics:

What grace is given me
Let it pass to him
Let him be spared
Mighty Valar
Save him.

Secondly, it seems to be a solo voice, as opposed to the full choir of the CR version.

I think both feature solo voice (if my memory is correct) but the film version passes from the soloist to the choir in the final stanzas. I have to look into this when I get back home.

Have you compared the version of the Flight to the Ford on the Rarities with the film version and the OST version? I can't remember now which does it resemble more. But the finale of that Rarities track features the film version with the Foot Steps of Doom instead of the aleatoric horns for the Bruinen crossing and features that staccato choral chant for the flood.

Have you compared the version of the Flight to the Ford on the Rarities with the film version and the OST version? I can't remember now which does it resemble more. But the finale of that Rarities track features the film version with the Foot Steps of Doom instead of the aleatoric horns for the Bruinen crossing and features that staccato choral chant for the flood.

The film uses the original version that is on the rarities, Jackson just dialed out the ending bit.

BTW Jim Ware, the OST/CR Alternate ending is shorter than the scene, does this mean a different cut? or are the aleatoric horns, that brass chord (?), and the low rumbling ending a sort of insert?

I love how Shore mixed both versions into the live concerts:

It's been ages since I've listened to that edit, but my notes show it looping back to 4:15 of CR D3 T4 at 3:07 of TTT LE OST 20.

It's been ages since I've listened to that edit, but my notes show it looping back to 4:15 of CR D3 T4 at 3:07 of TTT LE OST 20.

BTW Jim Ware, the OST/CR Alternate ending is shorter than the scene, does this indicate a different cut? or are the aleatoric horns, that brass chord (?), and the low rumbling ending a sort of insert?

I much prefer the OST version of "Flight to the Ford"...more aggressive and driving. In fact, I shall listen to this right now and at high volume!

Show off!

Awesome thread Faleel, thanks for making this :)

A Shortcut To Mushrooms

A bar is microedited out at 1:59, the TTT Video Game file 02G2GAL1 has this missing bar.

Not sure if you're interested in this level of nitpicking but it's 02G2PAL1 as per my game!

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I could follow the score with the sheet music. It would certainly give me an even deeper appreciation for it.

• 2 months later...

The EE Fan Club Credits have since been made available in true lossless when the Blu Rays came out in 2010, so lossy rips from the old DVDs are out of date now.

Don't you own the blu rays?