Poll: Will Bombur Speak?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bombur Speak in DoS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who gives a sh*t?

I'd rather he didn't really, because in one of the Chronicles books Stephen Hunter mentions using an Ulster accent to sound like his brother. Now the various accents of the New Zealand actors playing the Dwarves have been very good to date, but a Northern Irish accent is a very difficult one to pull off. If he can do it, then yes, by all means speak. And because Hunter said that I think he will.

If you watch the first movie with subtitles he does say something during the escape from the Goblin King. It's an exclamation of some kind but it proves he isn't mute! I think he might be a funnier character without a line though.

I'd rather he didn't really, because in one of the Chronicles books Stephen Hunter mentions using an Ulster accent to sound like his brother. Now the various accents of the New Zealand actors playing the Dwarves have been very good to date, but a Northern Irish accent is a very difficult one to pull off. If he can do it, then yes, by all means speak. And because Hunter said that I think he will.

I heard the actor say some things in a Northern Irish accent in the Extended Edition DVD's special features, and thought it was excellent. I hope he does have some lines in the actual film.

Will the fat Dwarf who was not given a line of dialogue in An Unexpected Journey finally be allowed to speak in The Desolation Of Smaug?

Bombur.jpg

OMG what a stupid looking character,

count me in the don't give a shit category.

All of the reviews say...

Spoiler

...that The Desolation of Smaug ends with a massive cliffhanger. I'm guessing that it's a shot of Bombur looking as though something's just occurred to him, whereupon he opens his mouth, hesitates, and we cut to black.

You could say it was a barrel of laughs, that one.

I was rolling on the floor laughing.

They're basically cannon fodder for Legolas and Tauriel.

They have never looked so dumb than here. Any sense of threat or menace they conveyed in previous films is gone.

Orcs have always looked liked canon fodder whenever Legolas is onscreen.

Most of them seem to be guy in prosthetics (at least, in close-up shots). Their design was OK, but nothing as impressive as the one during the interrogation scene.

They're basically cannon fodder for Legolas and Tauriel.

They have never looked so dumb than here. Any sense of threat or menace they conveyed in previous films is gone.

Orcs have always looked liked canon fodder whenever Legolas is onscreen.

Not really, no. You had a sense he could kill an awful lot of Orcs, but not take down a whole army by himself. In The Hobbit, Legolas is like this invincible war machine, which almost makes him look like a pussy in LOTR by comparison.

Yeah plus the lack of any danger to the heroes from the orcs and the senseless stream of decapitations reduces the violence to the realm of silliness.

It's because he's younger in The Hobbit. He's not as powerful in his old age.

Much like Yoda is a superhero in Attack of the Clones, but he's a weak old man in The Empire Strikes Back.

I hate prequels.

Rubbish. The Irch have always been portrayed as infantile fighters in PJ's films.

Near the end of FOTR about 100 approach Aragorn, and he gives a sly smile and starts hacking into them. Basically like Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars!

Only the Uruks of the White Hand are shown as half decent fighters.

60 years is but a blink of an eye for an Elf.

Rubbish. The Irch have always been portrayed as infantile fighters in PJ's films.

Near the end of FOTR about 100 approach Aragorn, and he gives a sly smile and starts hacking into them. Basically like Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars!

Only the Uruks of the White Hand are shown as half decent fighters.

60 years is but a blink of an eye for an Elf.

It is Yrch Stefan, not Irch.

And

43908976.jpg

But you don't disagree with my points?

The orcs in LOTR weren't very threatening, overall. The Fellowship killed hundreds of them, with great ease.

But in Lord of the Rings there are visceral consequences. People get wounded and die. In The Hobbit it is all fun and games and knocking of heads from CGI creatures with hardly no blood appearing on the weapons. It makes the foes inconsequential. Even in the midst of most horrible slaughtering spree Aragorn felt vulnerable whereas the Hobbit's characters do not. Even Kili's wound is a non-event in the end. The feel of the films is just so different and yet PJ wants to make them stand alongside LotR, where a lot of the contradiction in mood and style lies.

I actually don't think they feel as different as some people here claim. A bit lighter yeah. But to be honest, LOTR was full of unlikely stunt and fight scenes. The action during the river scenes is no less over the top then Legolas killing an Oliphant and sliding to safety on his trunk, or ghost radiating a green glow sweeping across an entire army....

I actually don't think they feel as different as some people here claim. A bit lighter yeah. But to be honest, LOTR was full of unlikely stunt and fight scenes. The action during the river scenes is no less over the top then Legolas killing an Oliphant and sliding to safety on his trunk, or ghost radiating a green glow sweeping across an entire army....

And didn't I vocally bemoan those as well in 2003?

Yes you did! Yet now you claim that The Hobbit is so very different. Hmmmm.....

I liked The Forest River scene because is gave us something we havent seen before. Same with some parts of the battle with Smaug. But i wonder about the upcoming Battle of Five Armies.

This is going to be a massive battle of CGI armies again.

Is it going to show us something we haven't seen in TTT and ROTK, and the many films with CGI armies battling each other since then?

BTW, I totally agree with you that PJ is making a mistake in turning The Hobbit in another 9 hour epic akin to LOTR.The book doesnt support that