What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Probably great for dark evening viewings, but those reference levels will be impractical for regular daytime TV or Sunday afternoon matinées. Not unless you've got a pair of blackout curtains you can swing together. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still very happy with Sony X900F

Can't find a single flaw about it after 8 months using it

Deep blacks, amazing contrast and detail in darker scenes, awesome HDR

I was playing Destiny in HDR last night. When you're in a nice dimly lit room, the depth in the scenes due to the way the colours and shadow 'pop', it constantly wows me. It's definitely more striking in a darkened room though, almost as a requirement.

My UHD blu-ray player which does play DVDs, won't let me play my DVDs of older movies in 4:3.  I tried every setting I could find on both the player and my Vizio TV.  I am sad :( 

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My UHD blu-ray player which does play DVDs, won't let me play my DVDs of older movies in 4:3.  I tried every setting I could find on both the player and my Vizio TV.  I am sad :( 

Huh? What's it doing?

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It plays all DVDs (blurays are fine) in 16:9 no matter what.  And I just can't seem to change it.

Ahh. Some modern TVs lack the necessary aspect ratio options, which is infuriating.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Ordered this yesterday.

On sale, $1,000 off!

Ah, OLED. Good! 

Now you too will complain about the noise & grain in old movies. Hehehehehe ...

• 2 weeks later...

Been sampling a lot on my new Panasonic OLED TV. You'd have to be one hell of a neurotic son-of-a-bitch to complain about anything on the image quality that this TV achieves. I suppose if you had a bright room, this TV is less than ideal. But if your goal is to create a home cinema space where the screen yields as accurate an image as possible, then this is it. The 4K discs I watched all looked great, a few blu-rays were respectable, and Netflix was fine. I'm a bit lost on the whole HDR thing, but set to "THX Cinema" with a few contrast tweaks, Batman '89 looked like it did on my Panny plasma, only higher res. A remarkable product for any film fan.

You won't see the effects of HDR without HDR mastered content. Which is still very thin on the ground outside of video game media. Amazon streaming has a some stuff on there, The Boys for example looked terrific in HDR. Netflix has HDR content too, but much less of a selection than Amazon. YouTube has plenty of short demos, some of which are superb - assuming your TV's YouTube app is compatible. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

You won't see the effects of HDR without HDR mastered content. Which is still very thin on the ground outside of video game media. Amazon streaming has a some stuff on there, The Boys for example looked terrific in HDR. Netflix has HDR content too, but much less of a selection than Amazon. YouTube has plenty of short demos, some of which are superb - assuming your TV's YouTube app is compatible. 

All my 4K UHD discs have HDR.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Disable all image enhancers or at least set them on 'minimum'.

Yeah did that.

I don't know why Quintus says that Netflix has almost no HDR content.  Does he work for Amazon? :eh:

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't see significant enough difference to use 4K equipment. I like the new transfers of Batman, but I don't need the HDR.

HDR makes a bigger difference than 4K.

I watched a bit of Archer on Netflix and that staircase edging was apparent as it was only in regular HD. Then I watched this wildlife show in Dolby Vision which I'd never seen before - looked stunning!

Then I plugged my USB containing the Silver Screen Edition of Star Wars, which looked very fine, even at only 1080p. This TV resolved those grainy scans with the same level of accuracy as my plasma did. Not sure I'll even bother with the 4K77 if the 1080p one still holds up this well.

Sometimes my kids will watch old cartoons or movies and will complain about the 4:3 ratio. Old episodes of Curb too, among plenty of other things, are also in that old telly ratio. In the olden days, I'd have stretched them out a touch. 

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

How is this TV supposed to output Dolby Atmos as streamed from Netflix? All it has is a digital optical output, and I'm sure that doesn't support Atmos.

Netflix's HDR content is either HDR10 or Dolby Vision.