What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Why is NETFLIX presenting original content in ratios wider the. 16:9? Like MANDALORIAN .

I thought the whole idea is switching tob16:9 was to eliminate the need for letterboxing.

Im not talking about films shot in ' scope, but originals.

?????

Mandalorian is on Disney+, not Netflix. 

And I think each content creator chooses they aspect ratio they want for their production, and a lot of current directors like 2:1. Simple as that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mum bought herself one of those Philips "ambilight" tellies at 65" for her loungeroom and I helped her set it up. Look, I wouldn't recommend this for the serious home theatre enthusiast, but it's fine for a regular loungeroom telly to watch the news and regular cable shit. Now this ambilight is a real curiosity and a cute way of addressing the limitations of LCD tech – the panel itself is mediocre and the corner backlights are as obvious as you'd expect when it isn't activated, but once it's on, your eye is somehow fooled into thinking the murky greys are actually black. Funny that!

Although my OLED is nowhere near as prone to image retention like my old plasma was (in fact, it hasn't demonstrated anything of the sort so far, and that plasma would leave an impressioj just from having a BD menu up for a few seconds!), I'm not willing to put it to the test.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else a bit alarmed that not many brands seem to be offering OLED TVs anymore? Lately I've only been seeing LG, Sony and Hisense available. A few months ago, Panasonic pulled out of the Australian market, so I'm not sure if they even make TVs at all anymore. Samsung seems gungho about its QLED tech. And LEDs continue to prevail. Is superior picture quality no longer desirable to general consumers?

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Anyone else a bit alarmed that not many brands seem to be offering OLED TVs anymore? Lately I've only been seeing LG, Sony and Hisense available. A few months ago, Panasonic pulled out of the Australian market, so I'm not sure if they even make TVs at all anymore. Samsung seems gungho about its QLED tech. And LEDs continue to prevail. Is superior picture quality no longer desirable to general consumers?

You knew this was coming. 

Betamax vs VHS

Plasma vs LED

HD-DVD vs Blu-ray

If it stinks, it wins. 

Maybe the other OLED brands are tired of being dependent on LG, the only one who actually makes OLED panels. 

42 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You knew this was coming. 

Betamax vs VHS

Plasma vs LED

HD-DVD vs Blu-ray

If it stinks, it wins. 

Maybe the other OLED brands are tired of being dependent on LG, the only one who actually makes OLED panels. 

Rumour has it that Sony might be considering exiting the TV market. So what does that leave us? LG making OLED, Samsung making QLED, and a bunch of Chinese scavenger companies offering the cheapies? Sounds like we're in for a grim future in TV variety.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love my OLED telly, I miss the idiosyncrasies of my old VT60 plasma, like the green dithering phosphers due to the fact that they couldn't reproduce greys, and the "almost" black levels it yielded. Sure it wasn't 4K and predates HDR, but friggin hell I loved that set.

I still have my Samsung Plasma 51" for my DVD collection (DVD looks bad on a 65" screen). I love the glossy screen. It makes everything look more perfect and timeless, especially with Blu-ray. 2001: ASO and Alien look like they are shot yesterday. In comparison, my OLED looks very matte and almost too revealing. It demands the latest 4K Alexa sh!t for me to be really impressed. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I still have my Samsung Plasma 51" for my DVD collection (DVD looks bad on a 65" screen). I love the glossy screen. It makes everything look more perfect and timeless, especially with Blu-ray. 2001: ASO and Alien look like they are shot yesterday. In comparison, my OLED looks very matte and almost too revealing. It demands the latest 4K Alexa sh!t for me to be really impressed. 

My OLED, set to 24fps, and THX Cinema mode, blu-ray looks very good.