What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

I can switch it off on my player but the TV's inbuilt Netflix does it automatically and I can't turn it off. Instead I plug a Chromecast that isn't HDR compatible into the telly and that bypasses the HDR.

My Foxtel box also has Netflix and that's thankfully HDR-free too... for now.

Interesting video Quint posted, but compared to the actual visceral experience of watching movies, the video guy's assessment about details and highlights is largely academic. I found those HDR highlights on my OLED to be almost blinding and made me scared they might fry the panel.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:40 PM, The Big Man said:

My OLED looks fine displaying non-HDR video. HDR looks too garish for me anyway. I often turn it off and watch movies without it.

My regular LED one in the lounge room looks better with HDR turned off too.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:20 AM, The Big Man said:

Interesting video Quint posted, but compared to the actual visceral experience of watching movies, the video guy's assessment about details and highlights is largely academic. I found those HDR highlights on my OLED to be almost blinding and made me scared they might fry the panel.

This is what Vincent is getting at in his analysis; the misgivings or flaws of the HDR reproduction are the fault of the display and not the original mastering. 

Actual proper decent HDR sets are pretty pricey. There, the benefits are stark - it isn't really a matter of subjectivity. It is academic though, particularly when one is already satisfied enough with none HDR content. 

But a professional demo of what HDR can do would sell it to pretty much anyone. Especially if they're gamers. 

I treated myself to a high end 1440p G-Sync monitor last year over the first wave lockdown (I had nothing to do and nothing else to spend my money on) and I am constantly blown away by its HDR capabilities in loads of what I play. The depth in darker scenes and the way the colours pop in the likes of Destiny; switching back to regular RGB setting just looks flat and plain - and this is on a set which was also highly praised for its none HDR output. I couldn't go back, as far as gaming is concerned anyway. 

Unlike on the consoles (one of the platforms of which is also massively trying to sell TVs to players), 1440p is quickly becoming the widely adopted "sweet spot" standard for PC gaming. 4K just isn't necessary for an excellent fidelity image plus the amount of horsepower that's left on the table as a result translates into prettier settings and higher frame rates. 1080p to 1440p is still a very noticeable upgrade. 

I ran into a conundrum the other week when I wanted to sit down in my office chair and play my Switch on one of my computer monitors (They are 24" 1920x1200).  Turns out the Switch only has HDMI output and the monitors only have DisplayPort inputs, so you can't connect them without a $35+ converter box thingy that requires power.  Oh well

38 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I prefer 4K without HDR. Dolby Vision and all these other weird quirks that seize control of the video options make it worse. I prefer my THX optimized settings. 

I mean, the two aren't mutually exclusive. THX has a whole suite dedicated to HDR calibration. 

It's curious, but I think there's an entire enthusiasts group out there who still don't really understand HDR. Undoubtedly because they've never actually seen its proper implementation. 

• 1 month later...

For a while, Prime UHD content looked like ordinary HD (which is bad in streaming norms) on my TV. Everything was updated so I didn't understand what was going on. Turns out I had to undo all the updates and reinstall the Prime app and now everything is ok again. Pew!

• 2 weeks later...

Blu Rays do have better protective coatings than DVDs, that's just an empirical fact.  Of course any one person can have bad luck and get a bunch of really scratched blu rays and rarely get scratched DVDs.  That's life.  Correlation is not causation.

So here's something funny.

I visited my parents yesterday for Mother's Day, and saw for the first time the new TV they got recently.  So I'm looking at it and on the stand is their cable box, and below that some large black, kind of shiny box.  So I ask my dad what that is, and he says its the TV!

Huh?

It turns out they took almost all the "guts" out of the TV and put them in a box you can put in your entertainment center, leaving the display to be thinner and more or less just be a monitor for all intents and purposes.

This was a Samsung TV too, not some cheapo brand.

I had no idea this was a new trend.  Or at least, a new experiment.  I guess it makes it easy to upgrade in the future if you need a faster CPU to run your apps, but the monitor is still functioning properly?

Interesting.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

If I could find a good 30+ inch crt in my area, I would probably get it. I've been thinking about getting into Betamax. But otherwise, I'm still rocking a 1080 Panasonic Plasma. I love this thing. It's gorgeous, and DVDs look almost as good as blu-rays on it.