What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

I still think the best theatrical experience overall was Titanic in IMAX 3D. The 3D was a gimmick but the sheer size of the screen and the steep seating that felt like you're going to fall off a cliff made it more epic.

• 2 months later...

I've tried Googling this but the information is old and no longer relevant.

I use Chromecast a lot and so does my dad, but there are so many videos we watch that are in HD but they really don't need to be in HD, especially if they're those lengthy videos on YouTube my dad watches. And all that HD video is devouring my monthly data allowance.

So is there a way to lower the resolution to say 480p from the data hungry 1080p? Whenever I have something cast to the TV, the resolution settings in YouTube disappear.

Well after some wrangling with Google's obtuse support team, they've told me that simply changing the resolution through casting from YouTube isn't supported, but they say they'll take my complaint as feedback. Seriously, what's in it for them by limiting simple and essential features like that?

3 hours ago, dougie said:

I'm happy with my plan. And 250gb a month is the highest I can afford at $200 a month anyway. I just want to be able to lower the resolution.

I have cable TV and unlimited internet for 82 Euro a month. Without cable TV, unlimited internet would cost me around 50 Euro per month. And Belgium is expensive compared to neighboring countries. With Netflix, you really need unlimited power ...

4 hours ago, dougie said:

I've tried Googling this but the information is old and no longer relevant.

I use Chromecast a lot and so does my dad, but there are so many videos we watch that are in HD but they really don't need to be in HD, especially if they're those lengthy videos on YouTube my dad watches. And all that HD video is devouring my monthly data allowance.

So is there a way to lower the resolution to say 480p from the data hungry 1080p? Whenever I have something cast to the TV, the resolution settings in YouTube disappear.

What TV do you have? My Sony one lets you select the resolution of videos in the YouTube app.

48 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What TV do you have? My Sony one lets you select the resolution of videos in the YouTube app.

It's a Philips 1080p tele. When I'm casting from YouTube on my portable telephone, the options for changing resolution are visible in the app at the top corner, but if I pick 144p just as an example, the resulting image casting to the screen is still HD. And of course, I'd like it to be in SD (preferably 480p), especially when I'm short on monthly data allowance. I told the support team about this and they said what I want isn't supported. It's really strange why they wouldn't support something as basic as this.

5 hours ago, dougie said:

It's a Philips 1080p tele. When I'm casting from YouTube on my portable telephone, the options for changing resolution are visible in the app at the top corner, but if I pick 144p just as an example, the resulting image casting to the screen is still HD. And of course, I'd like it to be in SD (preferably 480p), especially when I'm short on monthly data allowance. I told the support team about this and they said what I want isn't supported. It's really strange why they wouldn't support something as basic as this.

I've just discovered a way to change the default resolution when casting (I cast a shit ton of YouTube in our house too), so try this, it worked for me:

1. Cast any video which you know is outputted to 1080p.

2. Pause it. The YouTube UI should appear on your TV. Navigate to the 3-DOT on-screen button on the left-hand side.

3. Change it from the HD default output to whatever lower resolution you prefer.

4. This resolution will now be the new default resolution whenever you cast from your phone's YouTube app.

It's generally just software though, at least that's how I think about these devices. On my TV, Chromecast is already built, but I bet it's the same software version as your USB device.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, The Original said:

The really old chook in The Golden Girls mentioned a "widescreen TV", and it was 1985!

She was younger than both Betty White and Bea Arthur!

Jesus Betty White was born in 1922.  That's a long freakin' time ago.

I mean, it ain't recent!  Olivia de Havilland and Kirk Douglas were both born in 1916 and are still kickin', somehow, too.  And John Williams scored films starring both of them in the 1970s!

I remember watching The Adventures of Robin Hood when I was a kid and looking her up in the Halliwell's Film Guide and thinking I bet she hangs around longer than all the other movie oldies.

One of the Golden Girls actresses was much younger than the others and wore old-lady makeup and wigs.  Why did they cast her instead of someone of the same age as the others?  No idea

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of the Golden Girls actresses was much younger than the others and wore old-lady makeup and wigs.  Why did they cast her instead of someone of the same age as the others?  No idea

Not quite true. Estelle Getty was the same sorta age as Betty White and Bea Arthur, but she played the role of Sophia, the mother of the Bea Arthur character. 

They obviously didn't want to cast an 80+ year old woman for the role.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The big difference was HDR anyway. Furthermore, there's virtually no 8K content (heck, there's even very little 4K content), and to reap the benefit, you'll need a 100" TV. Anyone who buys an 8K TV today is a rich idiot.