Which version of the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack will you buy?

Jay

Version purchasing questions  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the An Unexpected Journey soundtrack did you buy?

• I bought the Standard (jewel case) OST + the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I bought the Standard (jewel case) OST + the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I only bought the Standard (jewel case) OST
    • I only bought the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I only bought the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I bought both the Decca AND WaterTower versions of the Special Edition OST!
    • I only bought it in digital form (iTunes, Amazon, qobuz, etc)
    • I didn't buy it at all!
  2. 2. Which version of the Desolation of Smaug OST will you buy?

• I will only buy the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will buy the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will only buy the Standard (jewel case) OST
    • I will buy the Standard (jewel case) OST + the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will buy the Standard (jewel case) OST + the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I want to pick up both the WaterTower and Decca versions of the Special Edition OST!
    • I will only buy it digitally.
    • I will not buy it at all.

Me personally, I own the Standard and the WaterTower (US) version of An Unexpected Journey, and have pre-ordered the Standard and Special Edition (WaterTower US) versions of DOS from Amazon already.

BTW, I've updated my spreadsheet showcasing the differences between the Standard and SE versions of both AUJ and DOS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdHdFUExoRi1GMjlxRjl6V0hXY2JKU1E&output=html

The important thing to note here is that unlike AUJ - which had some great music on the Standard OST that wans't present on the SE OST - the Standard version of DOS doesn't contain ANYTHING not found on the SE OST, apart from a short 7 second buildup that replaces a longer opening on the SE equivalent of the track (A Spell of Concealment).

Vote now!

I've got both versions of the previous one (the Decca version of SE) and I'm buying only the extended Decca this year.

I just can't be bothered to worry about the packaging as the CD's rarely even leave my shelf.

Karol

AUJ: Regular OST and the Special Edition (both Decca).

DoS: Special Edition (Decca)

I am a sucker for flimsy cardboard digipaks!

BTW, I've updated my spreadsheet showcasing the differences between the Standard and SE versions of both AUJ and DOS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdHdFUExoRi1GMjlxRjl6V0hXY2JKU1E&output=html

Am I the only one to find it a bit ridiculous that they only add 10 to 15 seconds to some tracks in the Special Edition? I mean, when it's something like 1 to 2 minutes, I can understand, but here, why did they even remove those few seconds from the Standard Edition in the first place? If it's to make the SE more special, then cut larger chunks on the standard edition instead of just a few seconds...

Don't want to sound like an ungrateful bastard (even though I am), it's just that it doesn't makes much sense to me.

Actually I have wondered about it too. A track is extended of course even when there is only 1 second of extra music but why not do something truly extra and add a minute or two or even three to call it an extended track for the special edition.

But it is interesting how snippets from here and there in the tracks have been removed for the regular edition.

Nobody's heard the extended version yet, but it's quite possible that the "extended tracks" will include entirely different takes/cues like some of the AUJ tracks (such as the troll attack); the timestamps may be similar but the music could still be significantly different.

Ah, I haven't been following significantly closely, since I'm not listening to clips/tracks until I get the CD. Didn't even know Jason had a full copy of the Special Edition version.

Nobody's heard the extended version yet, but it's quite possible that the "extended tracks" will include entirely different takes/cues like some of the AUJ tracks (such as the troll attack); the timestamps may be similar but the music could still be significantly different.

Did you read the first post of the thread at all?

Did you read the first post of the thread at all?

Clearly no, I glossed over it because I figured it was just posing the survey question (and I can't view Google Docs at work, so that wouldn't have helped me anyway) :)

The SE OST is 2 hours 9 minutes and the film is 2 hours 41 minutes, so there won't be that much music not on there.

WaterTower distributes the CDs in the US, Decca distributes them everywhere else.

For AUJ, both Standard OSTs, in jewel cases, were pretty much identical, except for the WaterTower vs Decca logos.

However, for the Special Edition, each company made fairly different versions of the packaging.

WaterTower:

img20121212170122.jpg

img20121212170129.jpg

img20121212160246.jpg

img20121212160342.jpg

Decca:

zdjcie18v.jpg

zdjcie15n.jpg

zdjcie12y.jpg

img.jpg

It's currently unknown if DOS also have two different versions of the packaging or not.

To be clear - the MUSICAL content was COMPLETELY identical from WaterTower to Decca, it was ONLY the packaging that changed.

I got the Decca special edition, although given the choice, jewel case all the way - I don't like the cardboard wallets at all.

Haven't made the decision to buy DoS yet. (yep, it's that unsatisfying so far)

Yea, that's gotta be it - his work is blocking ImageShack and Photobucket

At home now, I have the WaterTower.

Why?

To prevent employees from doing stuff on the internet they aren't supposed to? Same reason why personal email, Facebook, YouTube, and any website with streaming media is blocked.

Neither. Got burned out on the LOTR music with the original three.

I'd say your loss but you'd throw The Abyss at me.

I have no idea if my SE was the Decca or Watertower, and it's not handy to check.

My resolve is waning, considering the Decca is out now, while the WaterTower doesn't seem to ship until the 10th, and then will take a considerable amount of time getting delivered here...