Quintus

The miscellaneous chit-chat and pictorial bazaar

17 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone else think some people are way too sensitive around here?

Not as much as they used to be; it's why JWFan once thrived. Now, everyone is tolerant of each other, nobody argues.

It's one big happy family.

The European Unionists never understood that we Brits are cut from a different cloth; we are so much more than a star on someone else's flag! Hopefully now though they are finally beginning to understand, as we set the new precedent, and remove ourselves from the bloated bureau bloc at last.

Goodbye and hello.

99k1eZG.gif

Well, that's it. We're gone, we are outta here! Almost fifty years of oppressive, European tyranny, is over.

I don't know what will happen, but I relish the chance for the UK to start to truly make its own mark, on the world stage.

Just one more thing: to all of you who are, no doubt, shouting "Politics!!", let me ask you this. Would you be shouting for this thread to be locked, if it was the USA that had just "left" Europe? Of course you wouldn't. Please, let us who have voted for this, and have waited over 3 1/2 years for it to come to fruition, have our day in the sun. Yes, I'm very happy, and relieved, but I'm also scared; scared that this whole thing will implode, scared that certain elements will want us to return to Europe without giving Brexit a fair chance (yes, I'm looking at you, Nicola!). However you slice it, this event transcends petty party politics, and speaks from the very heart of what the UK is about.

We have a chance to create our own destiny, without European control. I hope we make it. Time will tell.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To all of you who are, no doubt, shouting "Politics!!", let me ask you this. Would you be shouting for this thread to be locked, if it was the USA that had just "left" Europe? Of course you wouldn't. Please, let us who have voted for this, and have waited over 3 1/2 years for it to come to fruition, have our day in the sun. Yes, I'm very happy, and relieved, but I'm also scared; scared that this whole thing will implode, scared that certain elements will want us to return to Europe without giving Brexit a fair chance (yes, I'm looking at you, Nicola!). However you slice it, this event transcends petty party politics, and speaks from the very heart of what the UK is about.

Ssshhh though Richard! You're being too specific, don't ruin it!

Congrats mate 👍

Sorry you're scared btw. I'm certainly not. How embarrassing for you.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

giphy.gif

:banghead:

Thus ends the greatest con in modern history.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, that's it. We're gone, we are outta here! Almost fifty years of oppressive, European tyranny, is over.

I remember back to the Olympics in 2012. It was a celebration of diversity, inclusivity and all that was good in people. It was seen by many as the antidote we needed to heal from the horror of the London bombings.

I am embarassed and ashamed to be British tonight.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I am embarassed and ashamed to be British tonight.

Did we invade a defenceless country? Drop an atomic bomb somewhere? Commit genocide?

Because your continued hyperbolic hysterics make it sound like we did.

Actually, all we did was withdraw from a problematic bloc.

So as a traitor, you should feel ashamed, yes. You should also have the guts to have the courage of your convictions and leave. Join your European bloc brothers and sisters. There's no going back now, it's done.

I'll be visiting parts of the continent myself soon no doubt, as will they continue to visit us here in the UK. They're very welcome to.

Psst: diversity, inclusivity and politics are not mutually inclusive; no matter the wicked narrative now obsolete remoaners have been determined to paint throughout this absurdly prolonged process.

Goodnight and good luck!

It is sad that the UK is distancing itself from Europe, but this is on the head of the overgrown EU apparatus.  Britain now should find a space for itself, though this may be challenging.   

Exciting times for Britain and the British people. To be subservient to the amorphous blue blob never felt like the right thing. It is in the very nature of your geography! 

That said, we will certainly do our part to make you our new vassal.

But at least our flags share the same color. We speak the same tongue. And we gave the world our civilization, culture, and tongue. 

We both practice common law as opposed to the top-down bureaucratic state knows all bullshit peddled by that micromanaging murderous Frenchman named Napoleon. 

And together we defeated the Hun. Twice.  

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

:banghead:

I remember back to the Olympics in 2012. It was a celebration of diversity, inclusivity and all that was good in people. It was seen by many as the antidote we needed to heal from the horror of the London bombings.

I'm sorry, but which "London bombings" were you referring to, exactly? Do you mean 7/7? That was in 2005. Do you really think that we spent X billions on some silly fucking games, just so we could remember the dead who died on the Tube, and at Russell Squ.? 

Those bombings were - probably - another inside job (since when did a bomb in a rucksack inside a Tube train blow the floor inwards?).

There have been bombings, and attacks since the 2012 Games (Manchester; Borough), and these will continue, I'm sorry to say. Are we going to hold regular games, so we can administer an "antidote" to those events? Try living and working in London while "the troubles" were happening, as I did, wondering if, when you went to work in the morning, that you'd ever see your home, again. Where was the "antidote" to that?

It's easy for some folk to seek inclusion in a larger group. It makes us all seem like well cared for children. I can understand all the arguments for remaining in the E.U., but we're out, and that's it. I hope that Remainders can learn to want to live in a post-Brexit U.K. 

6 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Exciting times for Britain and the British people. To be subservient to the amorphous blue blob never felt like the right thing. It is in the very nature of your geography! 

That said, we will certainly do our part to make you our new vassal.

I can understand the appeal of that idea from a US perspective, but in practice it's not really off to a good start for you guys in that regard - what with the UK already declining, for good or ill, to go along with the White House's demands that the UK should block Huawei from our 5G network.

Now, it remains to be seen if this decision to go against Trump's grain will be bad for the UK (I happen to believe our MI5 experts when they say they can manage the risk), but the broader point is that the UK have once again demonstrated a refusal to conform "just because everyone else does" (in this case, 'Five Eyes').

And besides, I think our acceptance of strictly limited Huawei technologies has less to do with 5G capabilities anyway and more to do with our soft power ambitions in China.

Honestly I'm glad it's all over and done with. 

The whole process has been to toxic and biased for the British amongst themselves to that the phrase "stiff upper lip" should be stricken from their vocabulary. 

I'm sad that it cost me a good mate who, as far as I'm aware couldn't deal with the fact that I saw things differently on the subject of BREXIT.

Oh well. Brave new world and all that.

Hated by just as many who love him, for the past five or so years I've sort of sat in the middle and agreed/disagreed with supporters/detractors at various intervals. But regardless, it cannot be denied that BREXIT could never have been made possible without Nigel Farage, and I reckon he's earned his moment of victory. He could gloat a lot more than he is doing, but I think he's just relieved.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

I can understand the appeal of that idea from a US perspective, but in practice it's not really off to a good start for you guys in that regard - what with the UK already declining, for good or ill, to go along with the White House's demands that the UK should block Huawei from our 5G network.

Now, it remains to be seen if this decision to go against Trump's grain will be bad for the UK (I happen to believe our MI5 experts when they say they can manage the risk), but the broader point is that the UK have once again demonstrated a refusal to conform "just because everyone else does" (in this case, 'Five Eyes').

And besides, I think our acceptance of strictly limited Huawei technologies has less to do with 5G capabilities anyway and more to do with our soft power ambitions in China.

You don't need us anymore than you need the EU. The great island can manage alone. It had done so since the Western Roman Empire dropped off the world stage. It will take time. But in a few years the softies that are crying over missing the vain comforts of the EU will have toughened up or gradually moved out to softer places. Your people will have re-earned that old mettle again. The kind of mettle that one only gets from being free and in charge of one's destiny and all the hardships that come with it. The mettle that saw Henry the VIII shun the greatest power in Europe and say, "Nah, I'll do it my way and suffer come what may." 

image.png

22 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

You don't need us anymore than you need the EU. The great island can manage alone. It had done so since the Western Roman Empire dropped off the world stage. It will take time. But in a few years the softies that are crying over missing the vain comforts of the EU will have toughened up or gradually moved out to softer places. Your people will have re-earned that old mettle again. The kind of mettle that one only gets from being free and in charge of one's destiny and all the hardships that come with it. The mettle that saw Henry the VIII shun the greatest power in Europe and say, "Nah, I'll do it my way and suffer come what may." 

image.png

The British Empire has been in decline for a hundred years now. There's no reason to assume this atrophy won't continue. Isolating themselves so they can "dictate" the terms for which they want to deal with the outside world and chose their own destiny can even be seen as noble. 

In today's world though? We'll see. Does Britain still have the actual clout, financially I mean, to compete with the world powers, including the one they just divorced?

Again...we'll see.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The British Empire has been in decline for a hundred years now. There's no reason to assume this atrophy won't continue. Isolating themselves so they can "dictate" the terms for which they want to deal with the outside world and chose their own destiny can even be seen as noble. 

In today's world though? We'll see. Does Britain still have the actual clout, financially I mean, to compete with the world powers, including the one they just divorced?

Again...we'll see.

Freedom has a price. 

I've not done a lick of music related work since the new year and I don't miss it - make anything a job and watch the fun of it fly out the window.  Instead been helping out with my wife's professional projects and figuring out how to best guide the girls as they enter some of their most formative years.  I've no faith in the world they're becoming a part of so that's a tall order.  

7 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

I've not done a lick of music related work since the new year and I don't miss it - make anything a job and watch the fun of it fly out the window.  Instead been helping out with my wife's professional projects and figuring out how to best guide the girls as they enter some of their most formative years.  I've no faith in the world they're becoming a part of so that's a tall order.  

Yeah I've found that doing just any job is good enough to pay the bills and follow your passions through other means so that you can keep enjoying them.

I reckon if I were younger and without the obligations I have to family I might be more willing to trudge through the ongoing unavoidable stretch of often vapid journeywork for the promise of possibly stepping out onto the stage for real eventually.  As it stands I've lost most of the fire I had for such things and am content to tinker in my own world as you've said, and I've taken surprising refuge in mentorship and teaching.  Maybe it's as simple as feeling I have more to live for now than I did when these goals first took root in me and I began to define myself by them.  Also helps that Hollywood insists on destroying itself from the inside - starting with music, big surprise.  I'm not sure it's ever been a less hospitable environment for composers in the business.  It's easy to begin parting myself from that madness.